NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT Vs. ATI RADEON X800 Pro Comparison!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by News Writer, Nov 1, 2004.

1. News Writer

News Writer News Writer

The ATI RADEON X800 Pro or the NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT? Which is the better one? That is the question that is plaguing many gamers who are looking for the next graphics card to buy!

PsYkHoTiK explores the capabilities of these two fine pieces of hardware from the two titans that are ATI and NVIDIA in a quest to find out which is the better one for YOU in this classic Clash of the Titans comparison!

[​IMG]

Link : NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT Vs. ATI RADEON X800 Pro Comparison!

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Ahhh,,,

"The Empire Strikes Back"... :)

3. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Ooo, this should be good! :D

4. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Good read. I thought the X800 would win.

Wait though, isn't there the X800 XT? Would that fair better?

5. These are pretty much the same results we've been seeing for many weeks. I think you should have used newer drivers (4.10 cats and forceware 66.81). From what I've seen, the 6800gt increases its lead with the newer drivers. I think you should have pointed out that nvidia is working with a brand new architecture and there is still plenty of room for performance improvements at the driver level, as we're beginning to see with the latest drivers. On the other hand, the x800 is a refresh of an old architecture and has less room for improvement.

Most of you have probably heard people say "nvidia for doom3, ati for half-life2." While this may have true at one point, it looks like with the 65.76 drivers, the 6800 ultra and gt are beating the x800 XT in CS: Source. So now nvidia is dominating doom3 while also being slightly faster in source. In both games, the 6800 GT is beating the x800 XT. Just thought I would point that out for all the people that are still saying ATI is slightly in the lead. Here's the article...

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/counter-strike_source/default.asp

6. x800h2o

x800h2o Newbie

Everyone knows that nvidia did a really great job with the Geforce 6, but don't forget that there is also a defective Video Motion Decoder in it . :(

7. Super-b

Super-b Newbie

Does anyone know anything comparison-wise about the video-out (to a tv, hdtv) between the x800 and the 6800? I know when i've ran the video out with a gf3ti and a gf4ti4600 the video-out left me wanting more. And i know that the radeons do a better job with this, but how does the 6xxx series now compare with ati's new line of cards?

I've looked other places to find info about this but it was in vain. And an all-in-wonder or a fx cinema isn't what i'm looking for as i want a good game performance as well, but the tv-out is important as well and i'd rather lose a few fps in games to get a better picture on my tv.

8. JErickHO

JErickHO Newbie

The review is good. The only thing is that the picture is quite misleading. If one does not look properly, he/she can't even differenciate which one is ATI and NVidia. Apart from that, no comment!!

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hi all, first if all, thank you for reading the article and welcome to ARP. :thumb: :arp: :beer:

As for the question of drivers, I used the most up to date official drivers that were availible at the time of testing.

As for the 'Broken' Video Processing, I felt that it doesn't impair its performance in gaming. ;)

10. Zen

Zen Das lässige Schwein

Hi there JErickHO :wave:
    Thank you for your comment on the review and the icon. But is it possible if you explain to us more about the icon (which part is misleading and how is it misleading) in order for us to make the changes for the icon.

thanks for you time and your critic. :mrgreen:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yes it might put up a better fight, but the 6800GT is marketed against the x800 Pro and thats what I'm going with... ;) :arp:

JErickHO, I dont find the picture misleading at all. :shifty: Please show us what about it thats misleading... ;) :arp:

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Maybe he thinks that the BFG is actually the ATI card... :D

13. Super-b

Super-b Newbie

...would u guys (reviewers) be able to check on the video out from each of the cards? Cuz that quality in video out would be a big factor on which card i get.

14. Chai

I don't think the reviewer has a TV...

15. Super-b

Super-b Newbie

...oh. Well, i have a tv hitachi 53fdx20b so feel free to send me the cards and i'll let you know the outcome.

Or if you know someone that has compared the tv output from the 6800 and x800 and wrote a review, i'd be grateful for a link to it. I have yet to find one.

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'm sorry, we dont hand out any of our samples. Anyways, both of the cards are privately owned (the 6800GT is mine, the X800 Pro is my bro's). So, no can do.

Nobody really does a TV out test on 3dcards as the reviews are geared more on performance. I doubt the TV out would differ from any other card, but performance would differ. Plus I dont have a TV. :p

17. Super-b

Super-b Newbie

I have seen a comparison on older cards for their video out, probably for the fx5200 personal cinema and some radeon 9xxx series card with the ati coming out on top. And like i said earlier, from my gf2, gf3, and gf4, all have had poor video out, but i haven't owned an ati to compare it with so i'm looking for a nice comparison between the two new generation cards.

And i do understand the cards are meant for performance, but they're meant for other things as well - which is why those components have been added to them. And just like all the gf6800 owners are feeling cheated out of their non-working VPUs, i just want to get the best video out when i purchase my next card.

18. Chai

Non working VPUs? It's just a slight faulty WMV acceleration, isn't it? And I've read that Nvidia is working on the new drivers...not sure about that...

Oh yeah, if you have HDTV, you might wanna consider getting the HDTV adapter for ATI cards, that will ensure you superb quality on your TV. :D

19. Super-b

Super-b Newbie

So are you recommending an x800 then?

I've seen their hdtv adapters and they aren't too expensive (~$35 US) and i would definitely pick one up if it wasn't included in the box, but i usually see it packaged in the retail units.

And i'm not 100% sure, but the 6800 VPU's problem was it's wmv9 decoding support, and i'm not sure about anything else. I don't feel like getting into that debate seems how it's been done all over the internet, but nVidia previously made an anouncement stating it was a hardware problem and couldn't be fixed and now they're trying to say it can be fixed with new drivers (software). ...But anyway...

I've been leaning toward the x800 but deep in my heart i still want to stick with nVidia cuz they have much better performance drivers - but if there tv-out quality is still poor on the 6xxx cards and the VPU isn't working properly, i might jump on ATI's bandwagon.

20. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Umm.. If the ENTIRE video processor is "broken", then the GPU won't accelerate any video functions at all. The CPU will have to take over the job.