Tech ARP Forums

Tech ARP Forums (http://forums.techarp.com/)
-   Adrian Wong (http://forums.techarp.com/adrian-wong/)
-   -   The StemEnhance Scam (StemTech International) (http://forums.techarp.com/adrian-wong/26191-stemenhance-scam-stemtech-international.html)

Adrian Wong 23rd Nov 2010 09:50 PM

The StemEnhance Scam (StemTech International)
 
People seem to love sending me all sorts of hoaxes and scams to bust. However, this is the first time someone has tried to involve me in his schemes. It's quite a surreal experience because he knows I know it's a scam.

It started when I replied an acquintance about yet another miracle drink (this time, made out of nothing more than potato, carrot and apple). Out of the blue, one Carl Lang from Singapore injected himself into the mailing list and started asking us to consider StemEnhance instead.

In his own words, with StemEnhance, "conditions such as lupus, cancers, heart problems, diabetes, spinal injuries, liver and kidney problems, brain tumours, and many many more, have been surprisingly dealt with". Wow... If that's not good enough for you, he adds, "Even those who were once blind, now can see! The hard of hearing are able to hear again! The wheel-chair bound getting up to walk! Amazing!"

I almost feel out of my chair, hit my head on my desk and became a cripple when I read that! :haha: :haha: :nuts: I flat out replied to everyone that this was yet another way to get cheated.

I thought that would be the end of it... but guess what -> he started CCing me in his e-mails to people he was trying to sell StemEnhance to! :nuts:

This e-mail conversation is long, but worth reading. It shows you just how these fellas work. It also includes my replies and rebuttals. I will also highlight key points in red.

To protect the other person's privacy, I changed his name and removed some links. Otherwise, the e-mails are exactly what was sent between us.

Quote:

Hi AK,

This is Carl from Singapore. Remember me?

How have you been? Hope all is well with you.

May God continue to bless you and your family.

Kind regards,

Carl
Quote:

Dear AK,

How are you? This is Carl again.

Today, I read your testimonial at (link removed). When I first came across this website, your (article name removed) was one of the best. Highly entertaining and hilarous! One which I could not stop laughing!

I noticed of late, you have not been writing much. I hope nothing untowards has happened? I am looking forward to reading more of your stuff. Please take care of your health and hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Carl
Quote:

Hi Carl;

Thank you for your nice words about me.

Yeah, I have been quiet for a while, because of my health problem.

I have a few series pending for completion; once my health improves I shall start wrting again.

AK
Quote:

Hi AK,

Thanks for your speedy reply this time.

Sorry to hear about your poor health. I believe you must be in your sixties now as you were in university in 1971. This was the time too when I became a freshman.

My dear friend AK, you may not know this... I am into alternative health. If I could be of help, please let me know. Especially if you could tell me the kind of ailments you are suffering from. I could recommend something for you. Btw, I am from Singapore. Where in Australia are you located?

I hope to hear from you again.

To your good health,

Carl Lang
Quote:

Hi Carl;

Thank you for your concern.

Yeah, your guess is correct. I am about 62.

I am suffering from multiple sicknesses, such as:
[List of diseases removed]
......
The doctor says only my liver appears to be normal!

I think this is the process of ageing, nothing much i can do---but to delay the deterioration.

I shall resume to pen when I have the mood.

Sincerely,

AK
Quote:

Dear AK,

I am sorry to hear of the multiple afflictions you are having. Age should not be the main factor in determining the state of our health. Why do I say this?

Many of today's health problems are created by man himself. Cancers, diabetes, coronary heart disease, parkinson's disease, arthritis, and so forth... are life-stlye diseases. This could be due to their diet, lack of excercise, stress, etc. Sometimes just by not having enough rest, sunshine or water, would trigger the breakdown of our immune system and the start of many illnesses. At times we may be hit by some of life's debilitating diseases eventhough we took all precautions!

Here's where I want to help. No matter what your conditions are, I am going to help you get your own body to heal yourself! There many ways to do this. As you are away in Australia, I am going to use a short cut alternative to help you of the diseases mentioned. Notice I used the word 'cure'.

My dear friend AK, if you believe me... your own body's stem cells will do the healing process. Although I do not know how severe your conditions are, I am very confident that what the Creator has provided - our stem cells - would do the repair and make you well again!

OK I am not going to be too technical but rather very simplistic. Here is the website to explain how your adult stem cells work (link removed). This is an amazing product called StemEnhance. What it does is that, by taking this blue-green algae (AFA), stem cells in your bone marrow will be released to search out the diseased parts of the body and tackle the problem. Leaving the curing to your own repair system, stem cells! Can't be this simple as this!

Just try it AK. You can't go wrong. But be prepared to be amazed by the results!

May you be blessed.

Best regards,

Carl
Quote:

Hi AK,

I wouldn’t listen to Carl if I were you. It’s a scam, period.

Carl, please stop messaging me about stem cells. We both know StemEnhance is a scam, so ply your falsehoods elsewhere.

Dr. Adrian Wong
Quote:

Dear AK,

I am not here to convince a skeptic like Dr Adrian Wong. I am here to help people who wants to get well. And you are one of them.

Btw, today I read another of your article, (article name removed). I noticed you are located in Sydney.

I have this friend who migrated to Australia and now lived in Sydney. I shall call her Datin Kiew. This datin is a lady friend who has leg cramps and severe pain in both her legs when she gets up every morning. While still in bed, she would massage her legs till the pain has subsided enough so she can take her first few steps for the day. She has consulted doctors in Malaysia and Australia, but to no avail. In fact those doctors could not diagnose what's ailing her! And she works in a hospital in Sydney (so she gets free medical treatment!). Poor Datin Kiew, she has to endure this painful condition for many years!

Early this year, relief came in the form of StemEnhance. After taking StemEnhance for only three days and to her amazement... all pain were gone! She could finally get up from bed without the same symptoms which had been bothering her for donkey odd years! She was so overwhelmed with joy and thanksgiving, she is a great believer in StemEnhance and helping others now. If you need her to speak to you, please let me know.

Stem cells research has been making a breakthrough in medical science in the last decade. Scientists all over the world are only beginning to see the wonders of how stem cell therapy can help in various diseases. I can post you countless videos of research on stem cells for your viewing pleasure. But I shall not overload you except for one...

Dr Adrian Wong is not a medical doctor qualified to comment on stem cells. I did not want to reponse to him but I had nevertheless decided to send him a copy of my reply to you. The facts will speak for itself. Stem cells is as scientific as any medical concept known to mankind. When he started labelling something scientific as scam, he might as well say medical science is a scam!

Well I shall not enter into a debate with him as I am not addressing him in this email. Just need to give him all the evidence on stem cells if that is what he wants. I believe one fine day, he will eat his words and beg to take this product!

There is a Chinese saying: The road to health is the road of knowledge. Knowing ignorance is strength and ignoring knowledge is sickness. Similarly, Socrates once said: There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Read, search and try out new ideas and discoveries. Never discard and condemn things that are new or unfamilar. Science is still evolving. The day we start rejecting knowledge is the day we think we are the all-knowing God.

Doctors too cannot claim to know everything. They are still learning. And stem cell research is a totally new ball game for them. But for a doctor to pooh-pooh the healing power of stem cells in our body is to make a fool of himself. The Creator God has given our body the ability to heal ourselves. Let's use it wisely.

We cannot explain it. But let's be wise to what God has given us. With this let me end with quotes from the Bible...

In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth
Genesis 1:1

Then God said, I give you every seed-bearing plant

on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruits with seeds. They will be yours for food. Genesis 1:29

... I give every green plant for food. Genesis 1:30


StemEnhance is a botanical extract derived from a plant aquatic, a blue-green algae. Many cures and remedies are from plants and fruits.

Thank you for staying with me up till now. As a parting shot I am going to reward you with this link (link removed)

Let's be humble to accept the things we don't know. Be magnanimous to admit that we don't know all. And be thankful to God the Creator for the things made known.

I have made available some attachments for your perusal. Any queries or for more information, please direct to me and not to Dr Adrian Wong. My wish is for you get well.


Many Blessings to you, Dr Wong and my friend Robert,

Carl
Quote:

Lemme share some links with you :

CBS 60 Minutes did a special segment on stem cell scams - Scam Watch - Stem Cell Therapy

A good, short read-up on why we should query StemEnhance’s claims - StemTech's Dubious Claims

A good discussion on StemEnhance - StemEnhance Question. - Science Forums

Here’s a good analysis of StemEnhance’s research results - Bayblab: Quack of the week: Christian Drapeau/Stem Enhance

Most telling of all, is the disclaimer on the StemEnhance website :

Quote:

Neither StemTech Health Sciences Inc. nor its distributors make or infer any claims that StemEnhance® can cure, mitigate, treat or prevent any disease. If you believe that you have a health problem, see your doctor or health professional immediately.
In other words, the company itself states VERY CLEARLY that its products does NOT cure, mitigate, treat or prevent any disease. If it doesn’t do anything useful, why the heck are we paying so much for what is essentially pond scum?

Yes, what they are selling is filtered pond scum (Aphanizomenon flos-aquae). That’s not bad in itself, but what’s bad is that they didn’t even have proper QC and allowed their products to ship with high levels of ARSENIC and MICROCYSTIN. You can read about it here - StemEnhance | CAMcheck

BTW, Canada banned StemEnhance, so do you really want to buy something that Canada’s health regulatory body banned for being a “Type II risk to health”?
Dr. Adrian Wong
Quote:

Hi Dr Adrian,

How nice to hear from you again. I will reply and answer each of your point one at a time. I would appreciate you do the same and not lump them all into one.

We must compare apples with apples. Why bring in Stowe Biotherapy, which btw I agree is a promoting scam. He's into umbilical stem cord. His claims have nothing to do with StemEnhance or adult stem cells. Please don't compare apples to oranges.

I very familiar with this Stephen Barrett of MLM Watch.org . But I wonder if you have read the whole article? This is best answered with another link. Please go to (link removed). Kindly come back after you have read both.

Obviously you do not seem to be very knowledgeable about natural health products. No nutritional products, herbs or healthfood can make any claims to its efficacy or medicinal qualities. Unlike drugs and medicines, they have not undergone any drug testing for any diseases. So no claims are allowed.

You can read the rebuttals here, (link removed). Please stroll down halfway to The Whole Story About Microcystin and AFA.

BTW, I really do not what you are talking about! StemTech HealthSciences has an office in Canada...
Quote:

Dear Carl;

Thank you for reading my essay.

I shall consult my doctors and seek their opinuions about the product you have mentioned.

I do visit my doctors regularly. Next Friday I have an appointment with a cardiologist. I will mention this product.

I appreciate your concern for my health.

AK
Quote:

Dear AK,

I do visit the (website name removed) site regularly. And I enjoyed reading your writings. "(Article name removed)" was my favourite. I take every opportunity to tell my friends to read this masterpiece! It's the best ever!

Do please take care of your health. Below are a couple of videos for your viewing.

(Video links removed)

StemEnhance is a much cheaper alternative than an operation. If we could connect on skype, I have an eBook for you. My skype ID: (skype ID removed).

Best wishes,

Carl
Quote:

Dear Dr Adrian,

With regards to one of your questions...

BTW, Canada banned StemEnhance, so do you really want to buy something that Canada’s health regulatory body banned for being a “Type II risk to health”?

1. I had provided you the company's Canadian website, (link removed)

A better url is this (link removed), where all countries which has an office, have their flags shown. Canada has been selling StemEnhance for many years now!

2. Your claim that StemEnhance was banned in Canada is suspicious. I wonder where you got this info. Must be unsubstantiated hearsay again from some forum?

Hoping to hear from you.

Carl
Quote:

Carl,

I’ve been trying to ignore you because this “discussion” is a waste of time. You are either delusional, or simply refuse to accept facts. Therefore, it is an utter waste of my time to explain it to you. However, you persist on e-mailing me about it, so I have no choice but to issue you a FINAL reply.

1. StemEnhance was and still is banned for sale in Canada. Sure, they have an office in Canada, but they CANNOT sell StemEnhance in Canada. Canadians who wish to buy StemEnhance have to order it from their US office.

2. Health Canada, the Canadian regulatory authority said this :

Quote:

“"StemEnhance is an unauthorized Natural Health Product in Canada that was the subject of a Health Hazard Evaluation prepared by NHPD at the request of the HPFB Inspectorate in 2006. The conclusion of the HHE was that StemEnhance was a Type II risk to health. Therefore it should no longer be available on the Canadian market.

StemEnhance was reported to contain 0.33 µg microcystin-LR/g but was labelled to be consumed at 4 g of supplement per day. Taking into account that Canadian consumers are also exposed to microcystins from drinking water, the daily intake of microcystins from this dosage would exceed NHPD's current proposed tolerance limit of 0.02 µg/kg bw/day in the adolescent and adult female life stages. Due to lack of a site licence and GMP compliance, there were also concerns raised regarding the potential for fluctuations in microcystin content, presence of saxitoxin-type neurotoxins, and other quality issues. As the product was (and remains) unauthorized, the validity of label claims and potential risks to health from inappropriate health claims were not assessed at that time."

"The presence of arsenic at 11 mg/kg (ppm) may also be a risk to health depending on the quantity consumed. NHPD's tolerance limit for arsenic is <0.14 µg/kg body weight/day, so 0.14 µg/kg bw/day x 57 kg bw for an adult woman = 8 µg/day, thus a dose in excess of 727 mg would exceed the tolerance limit."

Robin J. Marles, Ph.D.
Director, Bureau of Clinical Trials and Health Sciences / Natural Health Products Directorate, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada ”

The arsenic test results can be downloaded here - http://www.camcheck.co.za/wp-content...hem%203492.pdf

3. The algae used in StemEnhance is known to produce toxins. For a good, unbiased write-up on StemEnhance and the algae it uses, read this peer-reviewed report by a doctor - Why Blue Green Algae Makes Me Tired

4. For the National Institute Of Environmental Health Sciences’ report on the health risks of eating such algae, please download a copy of the report @ Environmental Health Perspectives: Assessing Potential Health Risks from Microcystin Toxins in Blue-Green Algae Dietary Supplements

5. Cell Tech was also successfully sued for falsely advertising that their StemEnhance products help improve health. You can read all about it @ Cell Tech Loses False Advertising Suit. For your convenience, here’s the judge’s opinion :

Quote:

Based on the testimony of Drs. Lashof and Blonz, their qualifications and their reasons, the court finds that all of the printed and video promotional representations set forth in plaintiff's Post-trial Brief with respect to the nutritional value, character and beneficial uses; of defendant's pond algae product constitute advertising which is deceptive as untrue, unfounded or likely to mislead, although accurate on some level as proscribed in Business and Professions Code Sections 17200 and 17500. . . .

While competent and reliable clinical trials satisfying Food and Drug Administration standards to establish the safety and effectiveness of prescription drugs may not be required for nutritional supplements, defendant's advertising as to the need for and benefits from defendant's product imply that there is some reliable scientific basis for the claims such as would be reasonably expected by potential users. There is not. Trials, conducted by individuals with a financial interest in the product and reported in a marginal peer review journal, reporting lowered cholesterol levels in a few rats dosed with the substance and an immune reaction in humans a few hours after ingesting extraordinary doses of substance are not such a reasonably reliable basis for the public claims of cholesterol lowering or immune enhancing properties of the product. There are no clinical trials of any type supporting any of the other numerous claims in defendant's advertising. Further, anecdotal testimonials are not reliable evidence of need for effectiveness of the product.

Claims under the Business and Professions Code for fraudulent and misleading advertising of nutritional supplements are not preempted by either the federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, 21 U.S.C.. Sec. 310 et seq. or California Food , Drug, and Cosmetic Laws, Health and Safety Code Sec. 109875 et seq. . . . Neither of agencies administering these statutes evaluate claimed benefits of nutritional supplements or require any support for off-label claimed benefits.

Plaintiff is entitled to injunctive relief prohibiting defendant from making any of the specified deceptive representations in its advertising or literature disseminated in California, an order requiring defendant to make a full refund of the purchase price paid by California customers for its algae products commencing four years prior to filing of complaint herein to the date of trial, and judgment for attorneys fees and costs [5].

I hope that answers all of your questions once and for all. If you wish to continue consuming this product, it’s your right. But please stop trying to persuade others to do so.
Quote:

Thank you Dr Adrian for your 'final' reply. Bcos you started it by claiming StemEnhance is a scam, you are the ONE not accepting the facts!

Maybe you should define the term "scam"? I shall leave it here.

Have you even began to think that you might have wasted our time as you have not proven the "scam" as you have claimed? Anyone can shout the word "scam" for everyone to hear but if it is not proven, then he better scram!

On a more serious note, you are supposed to be a man of some learning as you have a 'doctor' in front of your name. I assume it must be a PhD...? What if I were to shout out loud in front of your friends "it is a fake degree!" or "bought from the mills!"... how and what would your response be?

You realise there is not going to be a finality until you have this "mess" cleared up! Now you create the "scam" and you have not even began to prove it! I expect you to be more responsible. Can you be responsible?

Cannot sell does not mean, cannot consume! In Singapore we have a law that forbids chewing gum to be sold. But we can consume! Yes chewing gum is banned in S'pore, but not the chewing.

The name StemEnhance wasn't spelt out. While I am waiting a reply from StemTech, the company is trying to resolve this matter. This in no way make this a scam!

Here you go again... confusing StemEnhance as the product! Please read thru once again. It is Cell Tech, not StemTech! Not once was StemEnhance mentioned!

Now I am beginning to doubt the letters behind your name! You sure need to read it carefully and clearly. Or is it your eye-sight that is failing you? This I can forgive you. Remember this: it is StemEnhance and nothing else!

It is my responsibilty, care and concern to help people get well. It is not right for you to call StemEnhance a "scam" when you have yet to prove anything close to a "scam". I will stop once it has been proven. Until then "Doctor" Adrian, should you stop calling yourself "doctor" as no one here knows you are really one? Are you not being irresponsible for calling this a "scam"?

Good day to you "Doctor of scams" as you try to disclose a scam where there is none! Except for the 'Canada ban' part, I was fully aware of all the arguments presented. Microcystin, hepatotoxins and neurotoxins, and what nots... AND no one has the nerve to label StemEnhance a scam! Only you... Doctor of SCAMs!
Wowwww... He sure isn't polite any more. I guess no one likes being called a scammer, but hey, I didn't ask you to CC me in your product pitches. But although I was hoping that it would be enough to shut him up, it appears he just sent me another "love letter". :mrgreen:

Quote:

Hi Doc,

Don't think Doc Adrian is going to reply to you. Forward to you are our earlier exchanges which started the whole thing.

I did not want response other than my email to Mr AK. As can be seen, everyone has an opinion. I respect his right to reject anything not to his understanding or miraculous. Whatever it is, it is his choice to reject things not to his liking. Maybe we can call this - ignorance or sheer stupidity on his part.

Yes to use his words, I also "don’t know whether to laugh or cry"! Maybe I shouldn't have tried to educate the man. Should have left the doctor to wabble in his own smug self.

But responsible part of me, to show care and concern for people's health or at least to educate them on health, got the better of me. Not least was that "Stem cells in a bottle... LOL!" remark. Was wondering what kind of doctor is this? Who sells stem cells in a bottle? Not me! Yeah I might else well sell the Philosopher’s Stone while I am at it! Indeed!

And then to hear that it was a scam. Now this is too much. For a doctor who do not know anything, better not talk too much! Yes I was very interested as to why it is a scam. Maybe there is something he knows that we do not know?

Well we know now there is nothing much to what was said. The links provided by Doctor Adrian, I don't think he even understood its contents. So easy to google and paste the results and to claim they are there! But where is the scam? I have still not seen any thing close to a scam!

So let's discount his idea of a "scam" when there is none. He has been debunked with whatever he has produced. Until and unless he has anything new, I don't think we will hear from him again.

Kind regards,

Carl
I really hope this is the last time I ever need to respond to his inanity.

Quote:

Carl,

If there is a lesson to be learned here, it is that you should know when to quit. I’ve pointed out time and time again how StemEnhance does not work as you said it would. In fact, it may even be dangerous to consume. Yet you persist in defending it. Even after I offered you a way out by sending you a FINAL reply, you insist on prolonging the issue. Why?

Do you have some kind of financial interest in StemEnhance? Are you a distributor or “an independent business owner” (if you prefer) associated with StemTech International? Otherwise, I really cannot understand why you insist on defending its purported virtues even in the absence of evidence, and despite the numerous contrary reports against it.

If you are genuinely concerned about the health of your friends and relatives, should you not consider the facts that I’ve presented to you? Instead, you brush them off with truly superfluous excuses. Let me address a few for you.

1. Cannot sell does not mean, cannot consume!

It also does not mean you should consume the banned substance. More often than not, a substance is banned for being detrimental to health. This is true in the case of StemEnhance. As far as Canada is concerned, it’s a Type II health risk.

2. The name StemEnhance wasn't spelt out.

Actually, StemEnhance was clearly mentioned. I quote, “StemEnhance is an unauthorized Natural Health Product in Canada that was the subject of a Health Hazard Evaluation prepared by NHPD at the request of the HPFB Inspectorate in 2006. The conclusion of the HHE was that StemEnhance was a Type II risk to health. Therefore it should no longer be available on the Canadian market.

Sure, StemTech says it’s “temporary”, but the fact of the matter is it’s been 4+ years since it was banned, and it’s still banned in Canada.

3. Here you go again... confusing StemEnhance as the product! Please read thru once again. It is Cell Tech, not StemTech!

Actually, there is no confusion. The report was about Cell Tech’s green-blue algae products, but these are the same products made by StemTech. In fact, StemTech is actually a “child” of Cell Tech. Here’s a little history :

Quote:

StemEnhance appears to be the brainchild of Christian Drapeau and Gitte S. Jensen, Ph.D. Drapeau is director of Research and Development for Desert Lake Technologies, of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Desert Lake's Web site says that before that, he spend five years as director for research and development for Cell Tech International, a multilevel company whose primary products are derived from blue-green algae

Desert Lake Technologies was incorporated in 1999. In addition to Drapeau, three of its executives worked for Cell Tech for several years. Robert Longo was Cell Tech's chief financial officer; Michael Jubie was its process engineer; and Peter York was its harvest engineer. In July 2000, Drapeau notified the FDA that Desert Lake intended to claim that its blue-green algae product Summa would be claimed to "help maintain a healthy cholesterol level." The FDA responded that that the claim would be illegal

You will also note that both Cell Tech and StemTech are based in Klamath Falls and harvest their algae from the upper Klamath Lake, Oregon. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to?

4. On a more serious note, you are supposed to be a man of some learning as you have a 'doctor' in front of your name. I assume it must be a PhD...? What if I were to shout out loud in front of your friends "it is a fake degree!" or "bought from the mills!"... how and what would your response be?

I couldn’t care less what you think of me, or say about me. You see, I know who I am, and so do people who know me. You can say anything you like but it wouldn’t change the fact that I am who I am. If it makes you feel better to say that my degree is fake, or I bought it from the mills, please enjoy yourself. It doesn’t hurt me one bit. Really. But neither will it change the fact that your claims are false.

You said that with StemEnhance, “conditions such as lupus, cancers, heart problems, diabetes, spinal injuries, liver and kidney problems, brain tumours, and many many more, have been surprisingly dealt with” and that “Even those who were once blind, now can see! The hard of hearing are able to hear again! The wheel-chair bound getting up to walk!” I dare you to show me a peer-reviewed, double-blinded study that shows such a miraculous effect.

Let me save you the effort by pointing you to the official StemTech disclaimer :

Quote:

“Neither StemTech Health Sciences Inc. nor its distributors make or infer any claims that StemEnhance® can cure, mitigate, treat or prevent any disease. If you believe that you have a health problem, see your doctor or health professional immediately.”
It doesn’t sound like even StemTech believes that their product will cure a cold, much less cancer or blindness.

I’m very sure you will have plenty to say about this. However, before replying, perhaps you would like to check with StemTech International if they endorse your statements that :

a) StemEnhance will treat “conditions such as lupus, cancers, heart problems, diabetes, spinal injuries, liver and kidney problems, brain tumours, and many many more”

b) “Even those who were once blind, now can see! The hard of hearing are able to hear again! The wheel-chair bound getting up to walk!”

I would very much love to know what they think about those claims.

peaz 23rd Nov 2010 11:36 PM

man. the guy surely is kinda thick face isn't he?

Dashken 24th Nov 2010 01:04 AM

Ok... seriously... :haha: :haha: :haha:

PsYkHoTiK 24th Nov 2010 01:22 AM

Whatever happened to good ol' snake oil? :lol:

Max_87 24th Nov 2010 09:19 AM

"Doctor of SCAMs!" :haha:

Adrian Wong 24th Nov 2010 11:44 AM

The funny thing is I have no idea why he included me in his e-mails. :nuts:

Still, it was interesting to see how these pill-pushers sell their wares. They would actually "cold mail" you and feign interest in your health before trying to push the "miraculous cure" to you.

What's dangerous about this man in particular is that he claims that StemEnhance is a much cheaper alternative to surgery. In fact, he more or less claims that StemEnhance will pretty much cure everything from cancer to diabetes.

That's VERY dangerous as people who believe him may stop taking their medication, or going for surgery. This can permanently damage their health, if not outright kill them. It is our moral duty to point out these charlatans and expose them for what they really are.

zy 24th Nov 2010 12:52 PM

People will do anything to gain money.:evil:

Adrian Wong 30th Nov 2010 10:41 PM

The StemEnhance Scam (Stemtech International) Part 2
 
I just found a very good article on StemEnhance by Dr. Dale Peterson. It's a very long article, which you can read in its entirety @ StemEnhance has significant risks and is of questionable benefit

What's startling about his article is not that StemEnhance is a health hazard (it is), but the fact that stem cell enhancers can potentially INCREASE the risk of cancer, or ENHANCE the growth of any existing malignancy. To quote Dr. Peterson, "bone marrow stem cell release is a two-edged sword. While they can participate in the healing process, it is becoming clear that they can also predispose to cancer development and promote more aggressive cancer growth and increase the risk of metastases."

Here's an excerpt of his article. I've taken the liberty of highlighting the important parts of his article.

Quote:

The following story first appeared as a Wellness Update on February 14, 2007. On February 24, 2007 I received a lengthy response from Christian Drapeau, the creator of StemEnhance. He assured me that he has research ready for publication that will demonstrate that StemEnhance continues to regularly stimulate bone marrow stem cell release when taken over a two year period. Unfortunately he expressed a total disregard for the potential toxicity of the product and a complete lack of appreciation of the manner in which bone marrow stem cells promote cancer growth and metastases. Mr. Drapeau's remarks are posted in their entirety following the original article, with my comments in blue.

StemEnhance: New Story, Old Risks?

Judging by the number of e-mails and phone calls I am receiving promoting the latest, greatest, cure-for-all-diseases, Stem Enhance is taking the nation by storm. Unfortunately, the main thing that is new about the product is its name. Within its carefully crafted marketing package are found extracts from a once highly profitable cure-all that saw its sales plummet after it was discovered that the product is prone to contamination with a potentially fatal liver toxin and carcinogen.

Stem Enhance is a product that supposedly increases the release of stem cells from the bone marrow. However, the ability of the product to produce a sustained release of stem cells has never been shown. Neither is there any evidence that an increased release of stem cells from the bone marrow is going to have a positive impact on a person's health.

The creation of Stem Enhance appears to be a ploy to boost the sagging sales of blue-green algae. At its peak in popularity blue-green algae boasted $400 million in sales annually and was claimed to be able to cure in excess of 600 diseases!

Stem Tech, unlike the original blue-green algae promoter Cell Tech, does not refer to the product as "blue-green algae" but by its scientific name "Aphanizomenon flos-aquae". Stem Tech also states that the product is comprised of extracts from the algae, rather than the whole plant.

My review of the medical literature on aphanizomenon flos-aquae revealed that 97 of 99 bottles of blue-green algae analyzed by independent researchers have been found to contain a microtoxin capable of causing liver failure. A wrongful death lawsuit involving a young girl who worked for Cell Tech and died of liver failure after taking their products is pending.

In February 2003 Cell Tech was found guilty of making 30 false, misleading, or deceptive claims and ordered to refund the full purchase price to any California customer who had bought the product between 1997 and 2002 if they requested a refund. That sort of publicity seriously affected Cell Tech's bottom line, so a new product name (Stem Enhance) with a new story line (enhanced stem cell release) was needed.

Stem Enhance appears to be the creation of Cell Tech's original Director of Research & Development, Christian Drapeau, who is now the Chief Science Officer for Stem Tech. Three additional former Cell Tech executives are part of Drapeau's "Desert Lake Technologies".

Drapeau, in collaboration with Gitte Jensen, first published a paper in the journal Medical Hypotheses. Medical Hypotheses is not a journal that shares data or facts; it is a forum for proposing theories. In the article Drapeau and Jensen state, "we propose the hypothesis that in situ mobilization of stem cells from the bone marrow and their migration to various tissues is a normal physiological process of regeneration and repair."

It is important to understand that what was stated is simply a theory. There is little evidence to support the hypothesis. It is true that a few autopies of individuals who have died following bone marrow transplants have found an occasional somatic (non-blood) cell that has developed from the transplanted bone marrow stem cells, but this does not mean that the migration of bone marrow stem cells to various tissues for regeneration or repair occurs under normal circumstances.

A stem cell is a cell that has the ability to turn itself into various types of mature cells. Bone marrow stem cells typically turn into red blood cells, different types of white blood cells, and platelets. Somatic (non-bone marrow stem cells) are found in many body tissues and have the ability to develop into different types of mature cells depending upon what is needed.

Interestingly, because stem cells have a greater capacity for sustained replication than other cells, they are being implicated in the development of cancer. It is therefor rather ridiculous to assume that stem cells are some sort of magic bullet to prevent cancer or other diseases.

Having put forth the hypothesis that bone marrow stem cells migrate to other tissues for repair purposes, Drapeau subsequently published an article showing that volunteers given 1 gram of blue-green algae had been found to have an increased number of bone marrow stem cells in their blood stream. This was not a long-term study. The volunteers consumed the algae once and had their blood analyzed. An increased number of circulating blood cells was found, peaking 60 minutes after the algae was taken. From this limited data Drapeau extrapolates that every 1 gram of blue-green algae will potentially cause the release of a few billion cells that will migrate to target tissues.

Unanswered, but important, questions remain:

- Is the release of bone marrow stem cells into the blood stream positive or a negative?
- Will it increase the risk of cancer development?
- Will it adversely affect the number of mature red cells, white cells, and platelets?
- Does the observed release of bone marrow stem cells after consumption of blue green algae mean that the algae is beneficial, or is it a stress response to the algae or an unrecognized contaminant?
- If the release is beneficial, is it sustained, or does the number of stem cells released decrease with subsequent servings?
- Is there any long term response that might justify ongoing consumption of the product?
- Do extracts from aphanizomenon flos-aquae carry the same risks of contamination as whole blue-green algae? This must be documented by independent laboratory analysis, and I have been unable to find any evidence that this is routinely performed on each lot of the product.

People love magic pills, gimmicks & slick web sites, even when they may be hazardous to their health. I have to give Stem Enhance's creators credit - not everyone could turn a potentially deadly pond scum into the cure-for-all-diseases.
So, basically, there are now two BIG problems with StemEnhance :

1. The health risks posed by arsenic and microcystin toxins in the algae. On Mr. Drapeau's assertion that there are no microcystin toxins, Dr. Milena Bruno (a leading authority on the toxicity of blue-green algae) has this to say :

Quote:

Dear Dr. Peterson,

I cannot agree with Mr. Drapeau. Apart from human acute toxicities (one of these in Italy, but I knew some cases in USA in the eighties' due to Klamath pills), the real concern with these BGA products is the microcystin pattern present in the Klamath algae.

Microcystin-LA is often one of the two main toxins present, while MC-LR, MC-RR and MC-YR are the only toxins entirely "seen" by the ELISA immunologic methods used by the firms laboratories of control. This can lead to heavy underestimates of the total microcystin content in these products, if analyses are not performed on LC/MS/MS.

Microcystins have several chronic consequences, they are clastogenic, strong tumor initiators and promoters, they are also endocrine disruptors, and their effects are synergistic.

Long-term consumption can bring serious problems, not fully understood.

On the other hand, no serious studies exist (in vitro or in vivo) on the supposed positive effects of these products.

Other troubles may come from BMAA and neurologic pathologies.

Best wishes

Dr. Milena Bruno
2. There is a potential risk that these stem cell enhancers (if they truly work as advertised) will INCREASE the risk of developing cancer, or cause any existing malignancies to spread more aggressively. Here are some quotes that Dr. Peterson provided from recent research papers :

Quote:

Xiong-Zhi W, Dan C, Guang-Ru X. Bone marrow-derived cells: roles in solid tumor. Neoplasma. 2007;54(1):1-6. : The role of cancer stem cells has been demonstrated for some cancers. Recently, research indicated that solid tumors may originate from bone marrow stem cells.

Takakura, N. Role of hematopoietic lineage cells as accessory components in blood vessel formation. Cancer Sci. 2006 Jul;97(7):568-74. : Most recently we found that hematopoietic cells play major roles in tumor angiogenesis by initiating sprouting angiogenesis and also in maturation of blood vessels in the fibrous cap of tumors.

Varner, JA. Stem cells and neurogenesis in tumors. Prog Exp Tumor Res. 2007;39:122-9. : These same stem cells may contribute to tumor growth and spread. Tumors express numerous growth factors that induce both angiogenesis and neurogenesis; these factors may also induce tissue-resident stem cell recruitment and differentiation. Tumors also recruit circulating bone-marrow-derived stem or progenitor cells, which play roles in promoting tumor growth and spread.

The_YongGrand 30th Nov 2010 11:02 PM

Stem cells are difficult units of our body to be manipulated. Their behaviour will not be changed instantly by just taking supplements.

Until now, there are plenty of research done just to understand the nature and behaviour of these stem cells.

And yes, be careful when buying blue-green algae supplements. I don't know how much of these poisonous materials are inside when these are grown in tainted waters.

bnoar 19th Jan 2011 01:31 AM

Response from Stemtech International
 
I have become aware of your thread about our company and offer the following response in attempt to get the true facts out:

1) Stemtech does not have operations in Singapore and cannot locate a distributor record of anyone matching the name used by the person who posted all these claims and responses.

2) Stemtech products are nutritional supplements, not drugs, and are not intended to cure, treat or prevent ANY illness or disease. Our only claim about StemEnhance is that it has been scientifically documented to support an increase in the amount of circulating adult stem cells in humans. According to the US Government's Institutes for Health, "The primary roles of adult stem cells in a living organism are to maintain and repair the tissue…”

3) Although Christian Drapeau and independent research scientist, Gitte Jensen, previously performed work associated with Celltech, this should not be confused with Stemtech, an entirely different company. Stemtech has no affiliation whatsoever with Celltech.

4) Our StemEnhance product, which consists of a patented blend of two nutrient-rich proprietary AFA concentrates, should not be confused with the Celltech product. StemEnhance is manufactured and quality-tested according to strict GMP standards and has a superior safety record.

I trust that this addresses your concerns. Thanks.

omegadoom13 19th Jan 2011 03:38 AM

"My review of the medical literature on aphanizomenon flos-aquae revealed that 97 of 99 bottles of blue-green algae analyzed by independent researchers have been found to contain a microtoxin capable of causing liver failure. A wrongful death lawsuit involving a young girl who worked for Cell Tech and died of liver failure after taking their products is pending."

That's very disturbing. I worry for those in the general population who might be easily persuaded by similar claims of the "miraculous wonders of stem cells" for curing all that ails. My parents would be included in that population segment. Lacking an education to understand similar scams, my Chinese parents have a tendency to buy Asian herbal/medicinal products, regardless of checking the science behind them. Not all Asian products grouped in that category are bogus and dangerous... but a good number of them should have health warning labels instead of health claims. Over the years, I've convinced my parents not to waste money on such products, instead consider alternatives that does not require the use drugs, when necessary. I've had to printout pages of research articles translated from English to Chinese for them to read. Luckily, I've opened their eyes to how I perceive such products. They found the placebo effect to be the most interesting aspect of the readings. Very cool, indeed. :)

Adrian Wong 19th Jan 2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoar (Post 362032)
I have become aware of your thread about our company and offer the following response in attempt to get the true facts out:

Thank you for responding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoar (Post 362032)
1) Stemtech does not have operations in Singapore and cannot locate a distributor record of anyone matching the name used by the person who posted all these claims and responses.

I'm surprised that you haven't heard from Carl Lang, as I did request that he consult you guys to verify the claims that he has been asserting on your behalf. If you need more information on your errant distributor/reseller, I would be more than happy to pass you his e-mail address.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoar (Post 362032)
2) Stemtech products are nutritional supplements, not drugs, and are not intended to cure, treat or prevent ANY illness or disease. Our only claim about StemEnhance is that it has been scientifically documented to support an increase in the amount of circulating adult stem cells in humans. According to the US Government's Institutes for Health, "The primary roles of adult stem cells in a living organism are to maintain and repair the tissue…”

I'm glad you cleared that up, because he has been claiming that StemEnhance will treat “conditions such as lupus, cancers, heart problems, diabetes, spinal injuries, liver and kidney problems, brain tumours, and many many more”

Just to be clear to everyone reading this thread, you have just confirmed that StemEnhance will NOT cure, treat or prevent any illness or disease. That, I believe, pretty much sums up the effect, or should I say lack of effect, of StemEnhance.

Regarding the singular claim that StemEnhance will support an increase in adult stem cells, that's actually pretty vague. Can you enlighten us on these points?

1. Can you please quote the study that showed the increase?
2. Was it a randomized, double-blinded study?
3. Was it ever peer-reviewed?
4. In which publication was the study published?
5. How large was the study? As in how many test subjects were there?
6. What was the quantity of increase in adult stem cells noted?
7. How long did the increase in adult stem cells last? What was its half-life?
8. What was the dose of StemEnhance necessary to elicit the increase in adult stem cells?
9. Did the increase in adult stem cells have any noticeable effect on the health of the test subjects?
10. What were the side effects noted during the study?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoar (Post 362032)
3) Although Christian Drapeau and independent research scientist, Gitte Jensen, previously performed work associated with Celltech, this should not be confused with Stemtech, an entirely different company. Stemtech has no affiliation whatsoever with Celltech.

I'm sure StemTech and CellTech are different companies, despite the almost similar names. But both StemTech and CellTech's products are based on the same aphanizomenon flos-aquae (AFA) algae harvested from the Upper Klamath Lake, and StemTech principals are ex-CellTech employees, so I don't think there's any confusion about their affliation. They may not be blood brothers, but at the minimum, I think we would consider them kissing cousins. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoar (Post 362032)
4) Our StemEnhance product, which consists of a patented blend of two nutrient-rich proprietary AFA concentrates, should not be confused with the Celltech product. StemEnhance is manufactured and quality-tested according to strict GMP standards and has a superior safety record.

Yes, I do believe your StemEnhance product is similar yet different from what CellTech was peddling. But would it be possible for you to give us the low-down on the ban on StemEnhance by the Canadian health authorities? That does run counter to your claim of a superior safety record.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoar (Post 362032)
I trust that this addresses your concerns. Thanks.

I'm sure glad we are hearing from a StemTech representative directly. You have cleared up the biggest misconception about your StemEnhance product by confirming that it is not able to cure, treat or prevent any illness or disease. For that, I thank you.

I hope you would be able to address our other concerns (see above). I eagerly await your response. Thanks!

moffat 15th Apr 2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Wong (Post 361126)
People seem to love sending me all sorts of hoaxes and scams to bust. However, this is the first time someone has tried to involve me in his schemes. It's quite a surreal experience because he knows I know it's a scam.

It started when I replied an acquintance about yet another miracle drink (this time, made out of nothing more than potato, carrot and apple). Out of the blue, one Carl Lang from Singapore injected himself into the mailing list and started asking us to consider StemEnhance instead.

In his own words, with StemEnhance, "conditions such as lupus, cancers, heart problems, diabetes, spinal injuries, liver and kidney problems, brain tumours, and many many more, have been surprisingly dealt with". Wow... If that's not good enough for you, he adds, "Even those who were once blind, now can see! The hard of hearing are able to hear again! The wheel-chair bound getting up to walk! Amazing!"

I almost feel out of my chair, hit my head on my desk and became a cripple when I read that! :haha: :haha: :nuts: I flat out replied to everyone that this was yet another way to get cheated.

I thought that would be the end of it... but guess what -> he started CCing me in his e-mails to people he was trying to sell StemEnhance to! :nuts:

This e-mail conversation is long, but worth reading. It shows you just how these fellas work. It also includes my replies and rebuttals. I will also highlight key points in red.

To protect the other person's privacy, I changed his name and removed some links. Otherwise, the e-mails are exactly what was sent between us.































Wowwww... He sure isn't polite any more. I guess no one likes being called a scammer, but hey, I didn't ask you to CC me in your product pitches. But although I was hoping that it would be enough to shut him up, it appears he just sent me another "love letter". :mrgreen:



I really hope this is the last time I ever need to respond to his inanity.


moffat 15th Apr 2013 12:39 PM

Forum on StemTech products
 
I have read the forum regarding Stemtech Stem Enhance and tend to somewhat disagree with Dr Wong. I can't verify that the product does everything it claims to but can only go on my experience with the product. I was living in Qld at the time and had a dog that became very ill and finally died due to a heart murmur, at the same time I owned another dog of the same breed that also had been diagnosed with the condition. Whilst waiting at a counter to be served one day I noticed a photocopy of a small home made booklet relating to a cure for sick animals (mostly dogs). I thought it would be a load of rubbish (and I must say I certainly don't believe everything that was stated) but thought I would take it home for a light read seeing I was really concerned for my little dog. After reading it and being desperate to try to cure my little one I decided to give the product a go. Kiki was on heart medication and slowly it needed to be increased, she has been on Stem Enhance and StemFlo for about two years now and to my surprise her heart medication has not needed to be increased in that time and the last two pathology tests have come back as favourable. She is nearly 13 years of age and had her most recent bloods done yesterday with the vet at the specialist centre commenting that it was an excellent result for a dog her age who has had heart disease for a number of years, she also advised that her heart sounded really good.

I also have another of the same breed who is a little larger dog and was also diagnosed with early stages of heart disease and placed on medication, Budha is nearly 12 years old. I decided both dogs could take the Stemtech products commencing them at the same time. Approximately 12 months ago Budha became very ill with degeneration in the spine which lead to him becoming paralyzed. I rushed him immediately to the Specialist Vet Centre at Tanawah for a much needed spinal operation but due to his heart condition vets were reluctant to give him the anaesthetic without the clearance from a cardiologist. The cardiologist report came back with an excellent prognosis, he was cleared for the operation and also taken off any heart medication he was taking as the cardio did not feel his heart murmur was bad enough to warrant any meds and explained that normal vets tend to administer medication as a preventative. Budha subsequently went through 2 back to back spinal operations at the age of 11 years and is a very happy healthy dog today, walking and running as normal.

I am also taking Stem Enhance and StemFlo and have had an enormous amount of stress to manage for the past 8 years or so. When the body and mind is put through so much it usually ends with the person being run down and becoming quite physically ill. I can honestly say that my physical health is quite good but I do suffer from major depression. Whilst I am certainly not claiming that the StemTech products have cured my dogs and myself (because they haven't) I feel my experiences lead to a good argument that the products could possibly be a tool that has helped my dogs and myself achieve the standard of health we are experiencing today. In closing I can only say that I feel the products are worthwhile trying, they will not cure the disease but may help in the severity of it.

Adrian Wong 16th Apr 2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moffat (Post 371575)
I have read the forum regarding Stemtech Stem Enhance and tend to somewhat disagree with Dr Wong. I can't verify that the product does everything it claims to but can only go on my experience with the product.

So you disagree not because you have any facts or evidence to speak of, but because you have an anecdotal story to tell us? Interesting... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by moffat (Post 371575)
I was living in Qld at the time and had a dog that became very ill and finally died due to a heart murmur, at the same time I owned another dog of the same breed that also had been diagnosed with the condition. Whilst waiting at a counter to be served one day I noticed a photocopy of a small home made booklet relating to a cure for sick animals (mostly dogs). I thought it would be a load of rubbish (and I must say I certainly don't believe everything that was stated) but thought I would take it home for a light read seeing I was really concerned for my little dog. After reading it and being desperate to try to cure my little one I decided to give the product a go. Kiki was on heart medication and slowly it needed to be increased, she has been on Stem Enhance and StemFlo for about two years now and to my surprise her heart medication has not needed to be increased in that time and the last two pathology tests have come back as favourable. She is nearly 13 years of age and had her most recent bloods done yesterday with the vet at the specialist centre commenting that it was an excellent result for a dog her age who has had heart disease for a number of years, she also advised that her heart sounded really good.

I also have another of the same breed who is a little larger dog and was also diagnosed with early stages of heart disease and placed on medication, Budha is nearly 12 years old. I decided both dogs could take the Stemtech products commencing them at the same time. Approximately 12 months ago Budha became very ill with degeneration in the spine which lead to him becoming paralyzed. I rushed him immediately to the Specialist Vet Centre at Tanawah for a much needed spinal operation but due to his heart condition vets were reluctant to give him the anaesthetic without the clearance from a cardiologist. The cardiologist report came back with an excellent prognosis, he was cleared for the operation and also taken off any heart medication he was taking as the cardio did not feel his heart murmur was bad enough to warrant any meds and explained that normal vets tend to administer medication as a preventative. Budha subsequently went through 2 back to back spinal operations at the age of 11 years and is a very happy healthy dog today, walking and running as normal.

So you have THREE dogs with heart murmurs (which is a sign, not a disease), which could be benign in nature and you treated them with StemEnhance and StemFlo even though they were meant to be taken by dogs.... Of course, you don't happen to have their ECGs, vet reports, stress test reports handy, do you? :hand:

And I guess the three examples of your dogs being cured by StemEnhance and StemFlo is supposed to convince us that what's good for dogs is good for us humans too? :mrgreen:

I would like to point out that while many people give their dogs ivermectin on a regular basis to prevent heartworm infection, would you also take it just because it works so well for them? I didn't think so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by moffat (Post 371575)
I am also taking Stem Enhance and StemFlo and have had an enormous amount of stress to manage for the past 8 years or so. When the body and mind is put through so much it usually ends with the person being run down and becoming quite physically ill. I can honestly say that my physical health is quite good but I do suffer from major depression. Whilst I am certainly not claiming that the StemTech products have cured my dogs and myself (because they haven't) I feel my experiences lead to a good argument that the products could possibly be a tool that has helped my dogs and myself achieve the standard of health we are experiencing today. In closing I can only say that I feel the products are worthwhile trying, they will not cure the disease but may help in the severity of it.

Well, I'm sure you believe you are highly stressed and yet wonderfully healthy thanks to the miraculous StemTech products. Congratulations, you are yet another successful case of the placebo effect. That's the power of the mind, my friend... :D

Look, if you would like to continue spending on placebo, it's your money. Just stop trying to convince other people to waste their money. I would also advise you to buy cheaper placebos. They work just as well. After all, StemTech themselves admit that "StemEnhance will NOT cure, treat or prevent any illness or disease".


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd
Copyright © 1998-2009 Tech ARP. All rights reserved.


Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.1.0