MUST READ for Credit Card Users

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

This is interesting... My last experience working at a petrol station was over a decade ago and the pumps didn't have an integrated credit card machine in those days! What do you guys think? Is this claim legit?

AFAIK, that cannot possibly be true for a number of reasons :

1. The bank will normally allow you to use your credit card at petrol stations only TWICE a day. If you try to charge the card for the third time, you will find that it has been blocked for the day. You may even receive a call from the bank asking if you actually tried to charge the card at the petrol station for the third time.

This is to prevent any stolen credit card from being used to buy large quantities of fuel. Obviously, this limitation would prevent the clerk at the petrol station from illegally using the client's credit card to make two additional $50 charges. The most he/she can charge is one more transaction.

2. In newer pumps, the pump's credit card system seems to have been separated from the credit card system used by the clerk inside. I know this because when I asked for an additional receipt, I was told that I would only be able to get it from the machine at the pump. If that is the case, then it would be impossible for the clerk to use the information to perform additional transactions.

3. All petrol stations have CCTVs to monitor transactions. If such a crime actually happens, it is possible for the police to pull up the CCTV recording and determine if you actually performed the additional transactions. Remember, they have the time coding of each transaction and these will tally with the CCTV recording.

4. The same CCTV coverage can also show what the clerk did. If the clerk wants to fill up his/her own car with "free petrol" paid by your credit card, he/she will have to leave the counter and drive his/her car to the pump right after you leave. It's plausible but it will show up on the CCTV.

5. In disputes involving credit card transactions, the disputed transactions will get locked and the petrol station will not receive payment for the disputed transactions. Needless to say, the owner of the petrol station will definitely launch a thorough investigation on the matter and the clerk would likely get fired. As long as the CCTV feeds show that we did not perform the transaction, the money will be returned to us.

I'm not saying that it is technically not possible for fraud to be committed using your credit card at petrol stations. I don't have the technical knowledge to make that call. But based on my personal experience and a touch of common sense, I seriously doubt the veracity of the story. If you ask me, I think it's bunk...

2. JTech

JTech Newbie

I always check my statements. Never had anything like this happen to me.

3. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

From the googling I did, it looks like this e-mail started in Malaysia (and the original sum was RM50, not $50), and it may be an actual issue there (but not with all petrol stations, either). It might not apply elsewhere.