Tech ARP Forums

Go Back   Tech ARP Forums > Site Updates & Promotions > BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)
Register
FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG) This is the place to discuss everything about the BIOS Optimization Guide as well as post new or uncovered BIOS options!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st Mar 2012, 02:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Da Boss

Adrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleian View Post
I decided to junk the converter idea for a while and try connecting one device direct to the single IDE socket on the MOBO using a ribbon and still there's no significant progress - I can get the device to show in the BIOS but no matter what jumper settings I use (master/slave/cable select) it knocks out the existing SATA HDD from the boot options! My original drive gets replaced by the device on the IDE socket.
I phoned Packard Bell who suggested I try google and forums - what use are the manufacturers eh?!
I've changed 'peripherals' mode from AHCI to SATA and back with no success but I don't know if there's anything that I can try in RAID mode - is that likely to give more option in boot priority?
HELP!!!!!
That's odd. The IDE controller is separate from the SATA controller. Installing an IDE drive should not affect the SATA drives in any way, much less "knock" it out of existence.

The jumper setting on IDE drives is important. When you set to Master, you must attach the drive to the Master connector, and vice versa if you set Slave. If you are not sure how to attach the cables, just use Cable Select.

Unless you must absolutely install the drive internally, I would recommend getting an external enclosure to solve your problem. A USB 2.0 enclosure would offer adequate performance and you can turn it off without affecting your computer.
Adrian Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
SPONSOR
Old 1st Mar 2012, 04:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

dudleian is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again Adrian. I've now tried every possible permutation of converter/jumper/port settings with absolutely no success, even plugging into a proven 'live' port (the onboard dvd drive) failed. The reason for wanting to install the hdd onboard is in order that it be permanently available for online backup (Carbonite) and to keep a neat installation; it now looks like I will have to invest in a SATA hdd after all (I hate throwing away perfectly good stuff - so much for my re-cycling effort)
dudleian is offline   Reply With Quote