SATA or AHCI

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by dudleian, Feb 25, 2012.

1. dudleian

dudleian Newbie

I'm trying to install 2 old IDE devices into a Packard Bell imedia desktop (Vista OS) using IDE/SATA converters plugging into two spare SATA ports on the MOBO (MCP73VT-PM1.0 with PDV10.P18 BIOS version) One device is a formatted HDD and the other's a disk drive.. The BIOS doesn't recognise these and I'm wondering if there's a compatibility issue - should I change the SATA mode in the 'integrated peripherals'? It's currently in AHCI mode and shows ports 1 and 3 'not detected'
    What's the likely outcome if I just go ahead and change it, am I likely to frizz my O.S. or can I chop and change these settings at will?
    As you can tell I'm not a techie - more of a 'have a go' silver surfer!
    Thanks

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I believe there's an IDE option for that SATA mode. Did you try that?

3. dudleian

dudleian Newbie

Hi - there's no IDE option, just SATA/AHCI/RAID

4. Chai

Try the SATA, that shoudl be equivalent to the IDE mode.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You can try SATA, but if I'm not mistaken, that will cause Windows Vista to stop booting up because you had earlier set the SATA mode to AHCI. Once you install Windows in AHCI mode, you cannot switch back to SATA mode. If that happens, switch back to AHCI.

If your motherboard has an external SATA controller, e.g. from HighPoint, then you can hook up the IDE drives to them. Alternatively, if you are just looking to copy out data from those two old HDDs, you might want to buy (or borrow) an IDE-to-USB dock or converter, or the rather common 3.5" USB enclosures.

6. dudleian

dudleian Newbie

Hi Adrian
    I'm trying to instal the additional hdd for storage and the disk drive for direct cd copying so I'm looking for a permanent slution using the devices I already have, hence the use of converters. If I switch to SATA mode and vista doesn't boot then I'm guessing I can just switch back to AHCI without any ill effects right?
    The machine came pre-loaded with vista so I reckon I would have to do a clean re- install after setting the mode to SATA? or could I download drivers, or flash the BIOS? Either one sounds fraught so I'm probably going to need to start again with a fresh SATA hdd

7. Chai

It will definitely BSOD when you switch from IDE to AHCI. Not sure about the other way.

You can switch back at anytime without issues.

8. dudleian

dudleian Newbie

I'm beginning to think that these converters are junk! I've switched to SATA, windows re'installed the drivers for the original hardware then restarted with no problem; I'd only got one of the new devices hooked up and it doesn't show up anywhere so I swopped them round and still no joy - like I said, I think the converters may be junk

9. Adrian Wong

If I remember correctly, it will BSOD both ways. That's logical too. Otherwise, they will just install the AHCI driver and it will work with IDE drives too.

Yes, you can switch back with no ill effects. It will just BSOD because of the different driver - non-AHCI and AHCI.

10. dudleian

dudleian Newbie

I decided to junk the converter idea for a while and try connecting one device direct to the single IDE socket on the MOBO using a ribbon and still there's no significant progress - I can get the device to show in the BIOS but no matter what jumper settings I use (master/slave/cable select) it knocks out the existing SATA HDD from the boot options! My original drive gets replaced by the device on the IDE socket.
    I phoned Packard Bell who suggested I try google and forums - what use are the manufacturers eh?!
    I've changed 'peripherals' mode from AHCI to SATA and back with no success but I don't know if there's anything that I can try in RAID mode - is that likely to give more option in boot priority?
    HELP!!!!!

11. Adrian Wong

That's odd. The IDE controller is separate from the SATA controller. Installing an IDE drive should not affect the SATA drives in any way, much less "knock" it out of existence.

The jumper setting on IDE drives is important. When you set to Master, you must attach the drive to the Master connector, and vice versa if you set Slave. If you are not sure how to attach the cables, just use Cable Select.

Unless you must absolutely install the drive internally, I would recommend getting an external enclosure to solve your problem. A USB 2.0 enclosure would offer adequate performance and you can turn it off without affecting your computer.

12. dudleian

dudleian Newbie

Thanks again Adrian. I've now tried every possible permutation of converter/jumper/port settings with absolutely no success, even plugging into a proven 'live' port (the onboard dvd drive) failed. The reason for wanting to install the hdd onboard is in order that it be permanently available for online backup (Carbonite) and to keep a neat installation; it now looks like I will have to invest in a SATA hdd after all (I hate throwing away perfectly good stuff - so much for my re-cycling effort)