Logitech Laser Mice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Viper007Bond, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

First off, has it really been 7 months since I've been here?! :shock: Man, sorry guys. :( :hug:

Anyway, thought I'd drop by as this is definetly THE place for hardware help and that's what I need!

My current Microsoft IntelliMouse 4.0a is kinda going out. It seems to me that some of the clicks aren't registering, not to mention the scroll wheel is starting to get stiff. I guess that's what happens after 18 months of hard core usage.

I've been using my sister's mouse (same type, much less used) and it's pretty amazing how different they are now. However, my dad brought home a new Logitech MX1000 for the night (he bought two for the boardroom at his work) and it's pretty slick!

So, I'm debating getting one. However, there are some major pros/cons I have to get over.

MX1000

It's kinda heavy due to the battert resulting in more inertia than I'm used to. And when I have to pick it up, it's evem more of a pain because of that. I also wish it had on the fly DPI changing like the G5/G7 has.

However, the laser is really nice and it sure is accurate and sensitive! I also like that it does have back/forward buttons which I use a lot, even in-game (I bind them to crap).

G5

Yay, wired! I've always been a wired mouse fan due to the weight, but having no wire on the MX1000 has kinda spoiled me. Still, the G5 is probably MUCH lighter which is major points in my book. Not to mention I can adjust the weight and the DPI.

However, there's only one side button! WTF?! It's my only real issue with it and it's a major one. :silenced:

G7

$$$$$!! I probably wouldn't get this mouse, even though it has nice on the fly DPI buttons as the MX1000 is nearly as good and has side buttons.

So... anyone here own any of these mice and care to comment? Heck, anyone NOT own these mice and care to comment? :D

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I can tell you, the ability to change DPI on the fly is extremely useless. I would just use 2000dpi and set almost no mouse acceleration. That's going to be one really smooth mouse that doesn't go berserk in Windows!

I would chose G5 too, but like you, I hate the lack of one side button!

1 person likes this.
  3. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

I don't use mouse acceleration and I was thinking DPI changing would be good for games (like being in a tank vs. infantry). I'll have to ask some of my clanmates if they use their DPI changing at all.

And I wish they made a wired MX1000. I have been getting more used to it in the short time I've had it and I may just get one. While it's still a bit too heavy, I could probably easily get used to it. :)

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, the single side scrolling button is kinda of a turn off for me. Still using my MX510... i really like the G5 though... The G-15 keyboard is hawt too... :p

Welcome back btw... :D What's ur clan's website? Maybe our clan will hop on and play with u guys or something (BF2 or CSS.) :D

www.clanmkal.net
    site is under construction though. Php coder loves to go missing.. :\

5. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

a happy g5 owner here :thumb:

normal window i would use 800 in games 2000 n for sniping switch to 1600..personal preference

but g7 a good wireless gaming mice..no skipping from many forum feedbacks

6. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Well, after using the MX1000 overnight (a bit longer after posting this thread), I have fallen in love with wireless, but it's not a big deal to me and I dunno if the extra weight is worth it.

I also noticed that the MX1000 is only 800 DPI (I think)! So I may just have to go G5 or G7 and just put up with only one side button.

Well, how big of a deal is "only" 800 DPI? I mean, I use my 2 current side buttons all the time (one is bound to gas mask and one to night vision) as well as on the Internet.

PowerSlide: how is having only one side button?

7. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

www.sinclan.net

We're a Battlefield clan. :thumb:

8. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

i'm using the mx-518. pretty happy with it. have not tried the G or MX1000 mice. but don't really like bulky mices. contemplating going wireless...maybe when my 518 *kongs on me. :mrgreen:

*dies

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

u sound like a girl :)

10. m0dD3r

m0dD3r Newbie

I purchased my MX1000 from Newegg and it is by fay the best thing I have ever used. I also bought some teflon feet for it also which made it that much better. Here is how I see my MX1000.

Pros: Wireless, Lots of buttons, fits my hand perfect, built in Li-ion battery that lasts for like weeks with no charging, excellent tracking and response, no wireless lag even though people still claim to have it, and it looks stinkin' beautiful!
    Cons: Takes a couple of days to get used to extra weight, expensive for my budget, and I hate getting it dirty.
    Overall: 9.0/10 or 9.5/10 with the teflon skates. I think it is a very smart investment that will make you very happy. It's just a great thing of beauty. Well, these are the words of a satisfied owner. Let us know what you decide.

1 person likes this.
  11. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Hmm, I read on the box that it's only 800 DPI. Is that true? How does 800 DPI differ from 2000 DPI in the real world?

12. Chai

It's too obvious for me.

13. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

14. Chai

I meant the difference is HUGE! Now I'm dying for a better mouse, but that have to come later, maybe a next gen model. I don't really think G5 is my perfect mouse yet.

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

G5 doesn't have enuff button :wall:

otherwise i would get it too :wall:

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

That button thing is kinda what has me on the fence... :\

17. Chai

Why the hell they remove that button for??? :wall:

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

That was the first thing I asked myself when I first saw it...:boohoo:

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

I still like MS mouse..just..im bored with it..have been using it for 5 years -_-" Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

hahah..get the G5, draw an extra button with a marker :mrgreen:

20. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

No clue, but I decided to order one anyway. Should be here later this week. Got it for $45 off Newegg. :D

Although today I noticed that with a mail-in rebate, it's $22 on Amazon. :|