RIP my thumbdrive + warranty?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by belikethat, Jun 10, 2008.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

first of all.. RIP my 1gb mini pendrive.. it took a fall and now it's not working :doh: . but it went alive to do it last bidding.. i quickly backup via copy paste the drive.. and it went dead again :nuts:

so i was wondering any1 send their thumbdrive for warranty before? coz mine is still under 5 years from Pendrive
    :haha: .. funny thing is i dropped the thumbdrive from around 1m(from my jeans).. i swear i dropped it high than 1m and it was still fine

"THE SALE OF THIS PRODUCT IS
    WITHOUT WARRANTY, CONDITION, OR LIABILITY EVEN THOUGH THE DEFECT OR LOSS IS DUE TO
    NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER FAULT"

PenDrive - Warranty Information & Warranty FAQ

ok what does it really means..? does it cover fall :doh:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

Try returning it.. just say it stopped functioning and as long as you're in the 5 years you'll be fine.

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I agree with Midicow drops will not be covered under warranty but will they be able to tell ? Is it cracked or physically damaged ?

4. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

uh oooh .. maybe it has mechanical parts.. that why is not functioning.. maybe the read head got smack to the transistor..
    ooh wait is an SSD .. :lol:

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

LOL .... To be honest remotes for car starters and alarms are mostly SSD as well but you wouldn't believe what people try and return. Remotes stepped on or driven over, full of corrosion because they went through the washing machine.

If the case for belikethat's thumbdrive is chipped, cracked or damaged I doubt the manufacturer will honour warranty even though it has no mechanical parts ....

6. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

it's kinda loose.. i can move the head part up and down alittle, that all

7. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Thumbdrives are pretty fragile as far as I know.
    One of mine just stop working, or would work then all the data would be erased a day later. No idea how that happened.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Many would store data in a thumbdrive not knowing how unreliable they can be. I've never own a thumb drive in my life! :haha:

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I have 4 thumbdrives... or 5. Anyway, never store important data on a thumbdrive. Most of the time, I used it to transfer data between PCs, from one with Internet to development station or vice versa or from those to test units. So, they are just my middlemen. :mrgreen:

Ohh... and of course I used them to flash BIOS, but I always copied the ROMs to my laptop first in case I lost the thumbdrive. Recently, I lost a thumbdrive and also the HDD in my HDD enclosure went dead after I dropped it from about 25cm high. It was ok for a while and I didn't backup. The next day, it's dead. :haha:

Regarding warranty, my thumbdrive went dead once when it was still under warranty. I got a new one through RMA coz the model that I bought EOL already. :thumb:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, I would rate flash drives as many, many times more reliable than what they are replacing - floppy disks and CDs. God knows how many dead and malfunctioning floppy disks and CDs I have.

As for their reliability, all of my flash drives are still running fine, even the oldest one - a 256MB Kingston flash drive. Of course, I really take care of my stuff! :mrgreen:

11. Chai

I have very good experience with CD though, especially rewritables.

12. Adrian Wong

Yeah but they are slower and have limited capacity. I used to back up my data on rewriteable CDs and DVDs, but no longer. Practically all current flash drives can store more than 3 CDs and many can now store as much, if not more than a single-sided DVD.

The best thing about it is you do not need special software or hardware to write to it. And you can be assured of extracting your data in any computer with a USB port, even if it's a slower USB 1.1 port. Don't need any CD/DVD drive at all! :thumb:

13. Chai

That's why I started using DVDRW very long ago. Sometimes I still use it, but not as often now. I still have an unused High Speed DVDRW.

14. Adrian Wong

I kept a couple for Tech ARP backup.. but every since Tech ARP started requiring 2-3 DVDs to back up, I decided to just back up on a hard drive instead! :haha: :haha:

15. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

I've had qutie a few DVD+RW die on me, mostly Maxells so far. I guess I've used them too much. I burn them about twice a week since I watch some TV series on my DivX DVD player :thumb:

16. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

I got 4 thumbs for my work which I keep my software in. the bigger ones (1GB) a few time got corrupted and had to reformat. The older ones 32MB and 64MB are basically flawless...

17. Chai

I usually buy good quality DVDRW like Verbatim. Crap, I have some high speed Maxells. :|

18. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

my older thumbdrive which i lost it long time ago.256mb..went thru the washing machine and survived.. who said they are not reliable? :p
    it was some unknown brand :p

19. Chai

I managed to kill a 256MB Kingston. :o

20. Adrian Wong

Well, they will usually survive if you allow them to dry out before using them! But if you don't, you may just fry your motherboard too! :haha: :haha: