P4 Equivalent?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ishtim, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

I have been asked to put together an equipment list for a given budget that states it's requirements in terms of P4 equivalents. How should I go about equating this (and word it to "sell" in terms of newer CPU standards?

Example: Workstations (5) $600.00/ea $3,000.00 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz, 160 G HD, 17" Monitor

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You mean they are asking for a quote based on older P4 equipment and you have to suggest a newer equivalent?

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Celeron E1200?

Not exactly P4 equivalent, much faster and this is the cheapest Intel CPU you can get right now.

4. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

The budget is based on old specs and yes.... P4 is mentioned. So if for example the requirement is P4 2.8GHz, how do I equate this to E1200? :think:
    I believe I will put together something with the Celeron stuff.
    :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  5. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hmm... I do believe that many newer Core-architecture processors are faster than that of the P4.

The last time I tested, Celeron (Single Core) 420 is just as quick as P4 531. That could be the approximate reference point if you need to do some comparison. :)

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Clock for clock, the Core 2 processors are definitely faster than the P4. Also, the Core 2 have at least 2 cores, while the P4 only has one. The P4 support HyperThreading though.

But I should think that any of the current Core 2-based Celerons would be faster than the Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor they ask for. Not only faster but also cooler and cheaper to run.

7. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Thanks guys! :beer: I will present this as you have above.:thumb:

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The celery E1200 is guaranteed to be faster than P4 2.8GHz :thumb:

E1200 is the cheapest LGA775 processor right now anyway, I don't really think there is another choice unless you managed to find old P4 stock or 2nd hand parts. E1200 is miles ahead of P4, so it's not a problem.