Apple Ipad is out!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chai, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Looks like a boring tablet PC to me...

Although I'm not a big fan of iPhone, but you have to admit it is extremely good at what it can do.

But looking at the video of this gigantic iPhone, without many of iPhone's features, I don't think it will be very successful.

Apple iPad first hands-on! (update: video!) -- Engadget

2. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

Yeah, it's a huge colour ebook. :)

They say it isn't multitasking: you have to close your current application when u want to open another one.

I'm still waiting for an ebook which displays full pdf with pics at 256 colours at least. But less than 200eur. ^^

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I wonder how's the battery life.

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Did you hear it?? AGGRESSIVE PRICING! oh no apple has become a kuma, ah seng, ah kao, ali, ah fok brand. i mean, cheapest is 499!!! everyone can buy! not one but two, maybe three.

am dying to see the faces of those designers who always think they are a notch above everyone else because their apple products are so..si peh cil...

Nice product btw. it makes you wonder, what have the taiwanese manufacturers been doing?

update: IPS screen!?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  5. Chai

Replacing netbooks? In what way?

Removing hardware keyboard? Browsing like how you can do exactly on iPhone? Removing web cam? Can't listen to music while reading or surfing net?

Good luck. :haha:

6. zy

It will be successful because there are too many apple worshipers. Apple is their religion :mrgreen:

7. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

It's a Kindle killer, that is about it.

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

I believe you can listen to music while reading / surfing net. at least I know iphone can do that.

Why do you want a hardware keyboard? Excuse me, this is a tablet, and it has got excellent capacitive touch screen and its UI was designed for 'fingeringgg' (eg fingertip sized buttons and icons etc, no tiny X or WIFI button :haha: ) hardware keyboard please stay away.

9. Chai

Sorry, I retract my statement for the music playing in background, since I have not thoroughly used an iPhone. But it is still not capable of running multiple apps.

Why tablet must not have a hardware keyboard? Tons of tablet has hardware keyboard. Something this powerful, not able to multitask, can't do any office work, it's really sad. Netbook all the way for me. I understand that iPhone doesn't need hardware keyboard as you can easily hold the phone and type. Try that with a 9" tablet.

Yeah, you can keep on talking about the X button, when there are tons of methods NOT to use the X button. It's like bashing iPhone for not able to MMS, copy paste. Old news.

10. zy

keyboard dock. haha.

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

sorry, tablet PC, once you activated the "tablet" mode, you have no hardware keyboard, because everyone knows it's A TABLET duhhh!!!

It's like saying, iphone has no LAN port. it won't outsell any other smartphones!

still, anything less than 20inch, Im not interested :mrgreen:

12. Chai

Exactly, if Apple has already released a keyboard dock during launch, you know this device is powerful enough to handle typing, and yet, they cannot implement a hardware keyboard.

Most tablet PCs that runs on Windows are flexible enough to allow you to switch to tablet PC when needed, and switch back to normal notebook layout easily. With iTampon, you can't.

13. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Does it have an optical drive in it? eg, Can it play cd's and dvd's? Also, does it have speaker/head phone output?:think:

14. Chai

No, it doesn't even have a USB port on the device, you need an adapter!

Yes, thankfully it has headphone out. Definitely a must for a device like this.

Netbook killer? Not even close.

15. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Oh man!!!:doh: WTF!?! Screw that thing.:hand:

BTW, 10 hours for the battery.

16. zy

I think it does have speakers.

but, no USB? wtf is that? oh wait its just an ipod touch XL. It's running ipod touch / ipod OS. :nuts:

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Seriously, you want to lug a 20" tablet??? :shock: :mrgreen:

18. Adrian Wong

From what I can see, the Apple iPad is really just a bigger version of the iPod Touch (iPad WiFi) or the iPhone 3GS (iPad 3G). It's really not a netbook / notebook replacement, not without a USB port and support for a mouse.

Using a virtual keyboard is okay, especially since it's only about 10" in size. To be honest, I could do with a larger virtual keyboard - I have "fat fingers" and make tons of mistakes on the iPhone's small virtual keyboard.. :haha:

The iPad's larger virtual keyboard would be great for texting, but it would be folly to assume that it can replace a keyboard if you want to actually type. IMHO, this virtual keyboard is best tackled by your thumbs in the vertical mode, but you can probably touch type in the horizontal mode.

I would take the oft-quoted 10 hours of battery life with a BIG pinch of salt. Apple officially states that it will last "up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music".

As you can tell, surfing on WiFi, watching video or playing music don't really stress the battery. In real world use (3D games, 3G surfing when available, using the digital compass or assisted GPS), I think you can only count on 4-5 hours.

BTW, the lack of a USB port is not a "problem". It is an "Apple feature". :haha: :haha:

Apple don't want you to misuse the USB port (God knows what kind of naughty things you can do with a USB port) so they made sure there will be no USB port in the iPad. It's better if you stay in the safe Apple-only environment. They will only feed you what they think is "good and safe" for you. :haha:

19. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

so much for the hype :D

20. Adrian Wong

Well, the tablet is a very hard product to get right. I don't think anyone has "conquered" this form factor yet. :D