Tech ARP Forums

Go Back   Tech ARP Forums > Hardware Discussion > General Hardware
Register
FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Hardware For other hardware related discussions, this is the place!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th Apr 2012, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hyperactive

The_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant future
Default Jammed laser printer?

I have a 3-year old Brother HL2140 - which is printing OK until the last few weeks. The paper is always jammed halfway right after one print, or even the first print. I had to yank the paper out manually with the toner smearing over it.

I checked the troubleshooting manual, but I still get all the jammings.

Is the drum unit broken? Obviously, dismantling the thing and tinker around will be a risky job, and I rather send it to a qualified technician.

The_YongGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
SPONSOR
Old 13th Apr 2012, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official Mascot Creator

Falcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond repute

depends on how it's jammed, is the paper cumpled together?

or just print half way?

Flickr
Falcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2012, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hyperactive

The_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
depends on how it's jammed, is the paper cumpled together?

or just print half way?
It prints half way through, then the printer stop printing and the Error LED lit up. It won't print afterwards, unless I have to yank the paper out again, with the toner smearing all over the paper and it becomes rolled and crumpled. I suspect that one of the gears inside the drum or something else got stuck.

I was hoping that it's the drum fault so that I don't have to replace the printer, but when I checked online for drum replacements, it's as expensive as a new printer alone!

Old 13th Apr 2012, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Chai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond repute

Could be fuser problem, some of the common wear and tear.

Last edited by Chai : 13th Apr 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Chai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2012, 02:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Admin nerd

PsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I totally though of this:

Intel Core i7 920 SLBEJ @ 4GHz : 6x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 : Asus P6X58 Premium : WD Velociraptor 500GB x2 RAID 0 : WD Caviar Black 1TB : Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB flashed to 6970 : XFi Platinum : Silverstone OP650 : Silverstone TJ-07 : Swiftech Apogee XT : MCP655 : Thermochill PA120.3 w Scythe Ultra Kaze
CPU-Z: SLBEJ : SLAPL : SLA9U : FX-55 : DDR 600 : VX
www.techarp.com
PsYkHoTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2012, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hyperactive

I scouted for some drum kits, hoping that it's a good replacement.

To my disappointment, the drum kits are as expensive as buying a new one. A new one has a full duplex printing and stuff.

Psykotik: Lol at the scene. Reminds me of the Family Guy's scene as well, Stewie and Brian brought that vinyl and broke it all into pieces.

Old 15th Apr 2012, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Da Boss

Adrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK View Post
Sorry, I totally though of this:

LOL!! That's hilarious! They actually have to hold him back! Must hate the printer A LOT!

The_YongGrand, looks like you will need to change the drum. I think it's going to cost you a pretty penny. You might as well run over to PC Fair (ends today) and pick yourself a new printer, cause it's probably cheaper to buy a new printer and change the drum. When I was there on Friday, there were some pretty good deals from HP, Canon, Oki and Brother.
Adrian Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2012, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hyperactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Wong View Post
LOL!! That's hilarious! They actually have to hold him back! Must hate the printer A LOT!

The_YongGrand, looks like you will need to change the drum. I think it's going to cost you a pretty penny. You might as well run over to PC Fair (ends today) and pick yourself a new printer, cause it's probably cheaper to buy a new printer and change the drum. When I was there on Friday, there were some pretty good deals from HP, Canon, Oki and Brother.
Ya, I almost took that bat over there and hit my printer...

Btw, I'm thinking of changing the entire printer. Jusco sold a new one with duplex printing at the same cost of the old one bought in 2009.

The thing is, how am I going to dispose the old broken one? Are there centers which I can dump this thing?

Old 15th Apr 2012, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Da Boss

Adrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_YongGrand View Post
Ya, I almost took that bat over there and hit my printer...

Btw, I'm thinking of changing the entire printer. Jusco sold a new one with duplex printing at the same cost of the old one bought in 2009.

The thing is, how am I going to dispose the old broken one? Are there centers which I can dump this thing?
Good point. Hmm.. Well, I know that All IT Hypermarket collects old or non-working PCs for disposal. Maybe you can drop your printer off at one of their branches?
Adrian Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2012, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hyperactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Wong View Post
Good point. Hmm.. Well, I know that All IT Hypermarket collects old or non-working PCs for disposal. Maybe you can drop your printer off at one of their branches?
Yeah, I'll send it there. Hopefully they will dispose them properly.

The duplex laser printer sounds tempting - print two sides. Good for printing datasheets.