firefox memory leak

Discussion in 'General Software' started by aKho, Jan 22, 2008.

1. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

if your using firefox, do a ctrl-alt-del to load up your Task Manager. under the Processes tab, look for the firefox.exe program (make sure your firefox is running!), notice under Mem Usage the amount of memory the beast is taking up.

most notably it'll start to rise to the 70k and sometimes 100k numbers after a few minutes of usage. i hear it gets worst the more RAM you have on your system. does this happen to you?

i tried this and it does help. watch the RAM go back to "normal" once you minimize the application. woohoo!

seriously disheartening to find my RAM being eaten up so quickly by just one running process. and it's not a game even. boo.

guess it's a good excuse to get more RAM. :doh:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

it could be one or more of ur extentions, maybe you used too many
    extention, anyway it normal for firefox to comsume memory
    try opera instead ;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I don't use Firefox, but I remember reading that it was done intentionally to improve performance. You can turn it off in the Firefox settings. I just can't remember what the option was. :doh:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

5. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

mine usually 160 K up to 250 K :wicked:

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

mine is usually around 70MB. lol. but then again, with Vista, it's usual to see 50-70% of the RAM constantly in use. even with 4GB. It's all for performance. And so far, Vista's memory allocation is pretty good. no reason not letting it have all the RAM it needs. :D

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Huh? Sure or not, why so little? 1 tab?

Mine now consuming 180k, 180k with 27 tabs... :faint:

Edit: Do you guys encounter Firefox terminates itself from time to time without any warning..? It's like one moment you see it on your taskbar and the next it's gone. It's not even in the Task Manager anymore. Happens on my notebook with 1GB RAM. Weird... :think:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  8. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

wrong number, it should be 160,000K to 250,000 K
    but now it is ....... just look at the attachment :wicked: :faint:

edit: for you self-destruct firefox, do you tweak your registry to auto end task? or is it 1 Gb not enough for your pleasure of browsing :haha: Well it happens sometime to me, when I still using 512 Mb :mrgreen: especially I open it along with photoshop :faint:

Attached Files:

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

No, but Maxthon did it a few times, always after many, many days of use without recycling it to retrieve lost resources. :haha: :haha:

10. noel_pg3

noel_pg3 Newbie

I'm beta testing Firefox 3 beta 5 and I don't get any memory leak problems, even whether I use those FF memory tweaks or not.

11. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

o_O That's a lot.

Mine never goes above 70k, but I rarely have more than 10 tabs open so..

12. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

I've never had any problem with Firefox.I'm using the version 3- Beta 5 & it's much more stable than IE7 which keeps crashing occationally when i open multiple pages/tabs or sometimes when i try to open some saved MHT files.Firefox is doin' great for me. :)