Why You Must Always Choose The Right OS for the Job :)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by djspinnet, Dec 11, 2006.

1. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Incidentally, Maybank ATMs use Windows XP. The Maybank ATM in Sunway actually has the Windows XP taskbar at the bottom of the ATM screen too... *gulp*

2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Heh...I took a Qantas flight some time back and their entertainment system is Windows-based. So it crashed :roll:

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Fortunately the machine doesn't give wrong amounts of transaction ... I thought BSODs are only in home and business PC... but on ATM and kiosks?? :haha:

4. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I can't really see the error, it could be hardware problem u know. :faint: :faint: :faint:

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i've seen the flight information screen had BSOD in KLIA before :haha: windows :haha:

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

They are all using Windows-NT or XP for all these?

And are crucial machines like the CAT scanner use WinXP as well? Very curious... :shock:

7. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Maybank uses Windows XP for sure. I see it all the time - the WinXP taskbar when I withdraw money from Sunway Pyramid Shopping Center's Maybank ATMs. So I won't be surprised if Eon Bank's ATM is running Windows as well.

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

hmmm .. last time at the immigration area leaving johor to singapore, i remember seeing them using win2k for the machine. the officer rebooted it because it was slow or couldnt scan the passports :think:

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Haha!! I actually saw a working terminal with the XP taskbar at the bottom once. I guess they forgot to hide it. :haha: :haha:

Too bad I didn't bring my camera. :wall: :wall:

10. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Linux FTW!

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Too bad, can't see the error message.

12. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Well, it was taken with a phone's camera. It was a Windows STOP message at the top, and a hex dump making up the rest of the screen.

13. Chai

Could be anything, but looks like hardware issue to me, RAM or something.

14. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yeah, the problem could be anything.

And well, to give some credit, think about how many transactions the ATM runs per day per terminal... and I've can only remember seeing 1 ATM crashed all my life...

15. werty316

werty316 Newbie

:lol: that is too classic :lol:

16. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Well, firstly, not all ATMs run Windows.

Secondly, while this is the first ATM BSOD I've seen, this is not the first crashed ATM I've seen. I've encountered tons, from a nonresponsive (hung) ATM, an ATM with the screens mixed up..

17. Chai

And you are blaming everything on OS? If could have been due to poor programming on the ATM software, not the OS itself.

Although MS doesn't make the most stable OS, but I wouldn't quickly blame on the OS straight away.

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

djspinnet: u are LICH! :p

19. Chai

That could be another reason also! :haha:

20. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Eh, I didn't blame the OS, I merely clarified that not all ATM OS-es run Windows, and I didn't say that all the ATM crashes are due to OS's fault. For one, I do not think that the ATM machine that had it's screen mixed up was an OS fault, it was more likely bugged software. It could be anything. I just said "crashes" and crashes encompasses all sorts of factors that cause it - OS, software, hardware.

Your bank account balance is probably more than mine any time! :D Now gimme some money. Mwahaha!