I miss my old CRT!

Discussion in 'Chai' started by Chai, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Why?

My room is occupied, so I have to use the old PC outside my room and remote desktop back to my main PC, which is running on my old Sony E230 17" CRT.

Since I upgraded to Dell 20" 2001FP, I'm already a number of things on my 'entry level' Sony CRT.

1. The refresh rate. If you think your LCD 60Hz is good enough for flicker free, wait till you go back to your old CRT and try 85Hz. Smooth like baby's buttock.

2. The colours are so vibrant! All my photos have colour boost instantly, without needing to be edited!

3. No ghosting! All my 'mouse trails' effects are gone! Wow...

Getting LCD was really a tough decision for me. Are the sacrifices for the advantages worth it? I can't give you an answer on that...Should I go back to high end CRT?

2. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

for the kill: CRT can be used as a weapon...

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Eh, the LCD's 60Hz is just for show. LCDs don't refresh.

Hmm.. Colours are yeah, a totally different story. I think CRT colours are still the best.

4. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

SyncMaster1100df here...:D

5. Echolac

Echolac Newbie

crt has the most realistic and bright true colour display...IMO tat is:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I love the sharpness of an LCD though. The only thing I miss from the CRT is the high resolution and being able to change resolution. Color maybe. I've very pleased with my Samsung 940MW.

One thing I don't miss is the weight of those suckers... :\

7. Adrian Wong

Yeah, that's the reason why I won't go beyond 17". The weight is just insane! :wall: :wall:

8. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Still using a 19" CRT monitor. CTX EX950F max. resolution 1600x1200 and a max. 160Hz refresh rate. I'll switch anytime to a LCD due to the huge size and weight :)

1 person likes this.
  9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Whoah. I had a 19inch one too. Soooo insanely heavy. :\

10. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Yeah I was using a CRT in my uncle's office the other day, and it's definitely a bit more smooth than my LCD...but I'm not complaining. LCDs are good enough for me...4.5 years using them, there's no way that I would go back :p

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I don't see too much of a difference really. I really enjoy the brightness and sharpness though. Also I don't see why my panel sets the refresh at 75Hz. I thought all of them are 60Hz? :\

I did notice however, when I switch it to watch TV or anything, the res changes from 1440x900 to 1920x1080 (1080i) and the refresh drops from 75Hz to 30something. Wonder why.

12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

My 2007FP totally pwns all my previously owned CRT in every aspects... but I never had any high end CRT to begin with so :|

I have no complaints with my LCD except the slight ghosting which is visible during gaming... but doesn't really matter now since I don't game much already. I don't think I will ever go back to CRTs... they are simply too large and take away too much space and IMO LCDs are better for multi-mon setups...

13. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

TV is 30fps so are movies at the cinema...

I use 19" CRT for gaming and photo editing, LCD at work for MS office, etc... :rolleyes:

14. Chai

Just go try a CRT with 85Hz, and just by moving the mouse, you can instantly tell the difference. Having higher refresh rate is not just about flicker free, it also meant that the display is more constantly updated, which is why it's smoother. You think those 100Hz TVs were gimmick?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

never missed a bit of those suckers.
    CRT's geometry is enough to drive me nutz.

16. Chai

You need a higher end CRT la... :haha:

17. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i have a 17inch sony AG tube at home, and 4 22inch sony & mitsubishi AG tube (brilliance line) in the office. probably the highest-end u will ever find in the desktop line.
    sorry, never bothered to use them :mrgreen: u will never get perfect geometry on CRTs, which really drives me nutzzz..

of cuz, if u want color quality, nothing beats AG tube.

18. Chai

Hmm...geometry? Although a bit annoying (reason why I sold Samsung 753DF in 2 weeks at RM200 lost), I can live with it if it's minor. But what I actually like about LCD is the sharpness, compactness. Power consumption is not exactly very low.

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

haha i threw my whole 2001FP in to my luggage :haha:
    couldnt really feel it also :haha: :haha:

20. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. TVs are 50Hz, unless you have the newer 100Hz TVs.