ASUS P5VD1-X Socket 775

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by fiddler, Nov 15, 2007.

1. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

That old system we were discussing on the technical problems forum is still misbehaving a bit, and I already bought a new XP OS, so I thought I'd go for the cheapest upgrade as basic as I can, within reason.
    I found this mobo on ebay which will be pretty cheap I think - wanted one with AGP for the existing graphics card, and the PCI-e is a bonus maybe. Does anyone know this board?
    I found this CPU
    Intel Pentium® 4 D 820 Dual core 2x2.8GHz 800FSB LGA775 2x1MB cache Retail inc.Fan (3 year warranty) Processor(BX80551PG2800FN) buy at PCUpgrade.co.uk
    but it says "needs Intel 945 chipset or newer" whereas the mobo has VIA VT8237R - is that OK?
    Maybe this is OK?
    Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4GHz 800Mhz FSB LGA775 2MB L2 Cache Retail inc.Fan (3yr Manufacturers Warranty) - BX80557E4600 - Microdirect.co.uk is the UK leading retailer of quality computer components and electronics.
    but it has no fan included I think.
    I'd be grateful for your opinion.
    Thanks
    Miles
    ps I havent yet bought it - auction ends 2 days

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is an old chipset PT880, which I think support Pentium 4 range only, not the Core 2 Duo.

3. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

Thanks Chai. I can always count on you guys :arrow:
    ;)
    Miles

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

If you are reusing an AGP card and DDR1 sticks, Asus P5PE-VM is for you, with some BIOS updates. And Asrock's Conroe865GV works too - however take a look at their AGI support list - their slot isn't really AGP.

The Asus P5VD1-X has a drawback - the PCI-E bandwidth is electrically 4x instead of a 16x, so it has a serious bottleneck there (10-20% performance loss). If you attempt to game on a Via-chipset board, it'll be very difficult to reach optimum performance.

If you still want a hybrid system, you can go for the Asrock 775Dual-VSTA but Asrock isn't of the best in terms of quality. And worse, Asrock's cold boot is flaky - you might need to turn on your PC twice sometimes. :haha:

What are you going to do with the PC? Spare gaming rig, or another backup server? If you don't mind spending a little bit more, sell off the AGP card and the DDR1 sticks, and get an Asus P5KPL-VM + E4600 + HD2600Pro/XT and this will be more than just fine. But that defeats the purpose since you want minimal upgrades. :)

5. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

Thanks so much for all the info TYG. :thumb: Maybe I should spend a bit more after all - it usually doesn't pay to cut corners in the long run. I can see myself spending ages sorting out incompatibility issues as you suggest. Time for some thoughtful research...
    :think:
    Miles

6. The_YongGrand

Yeah, it's easier if you can go with the current one - especially when the RAM sticks are in the rock bottom prices. The RAM is one of the deciding factors of why I change my platforms. :mrgreen:

For Intel processors, I'll generally recommend using Intel chipsets, and even the newer nVidia 7050 will help too. The nVidia 7050 has an embedded nVidia graphics (7050) inside so it's a very effective home budget PC and even light gaming.

For AMD ones, stick to the nForce or the Geforce or any of the AMD chipsets. THe AMDs have their Radeons X1250 inside, which is also a good one.

Meanwhile, DDR1 and AGP are dangerously expensive nowadays, the replacement of these aren't easy too.

Also, if you are reusing a PSU for any new builds, make sure that it's a 24 pin. :mrgreen:

Hope that helps. :)

7. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

OK. This is looking better:
    Gigabyte S775 Intel P35 Express ATX Audio Lan
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 S775 2.66ghz 4mb Cache 1333FSB
    Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT 256MB DDR2 PCIE DX10 HDCP 570/1400

I'll need a PSU and CPU fan
    Corsair Memory 520 Watt, ATX, EPS12V, PS/2, Modular Power Supply
    Zalman CNPS9700LED Heatpipe CPU cooler with quiet 110mm blue LED fan (but it looks big :think: )

Does all that look OK? That's all for £360 (= 2500 ringits) but no memory.

Can you guys advise on RAM please? I can't find the mobo on any of the memory matching sites like Crucial.

As you can see I'm not very familiar with the technology :(

Miles

8. Chai

I'm not sure what motherboard is that, no model number.

Any RAM would do, it should work fine.

9. The_YongGrand

Any RAM sticks will work fine, as long as it's a DDR2 667 or 800. :)

Similarly, (again) I have to recommend Asus P5KPL-VM - that one is nice, and pretty rock solid. I've recommended this board to some people, including my friend. Or any P5K-VM too if you want a backup video adapter in case of any breakdowns in the GPU.

If you are overclocking, you can continue with the Zalman CPU cooler purchase. If not, stick to the original heatsink. That one'll do better, and save you a lot of money.

The Corsair PSU is fine and nice.

Also, if you are playing modern and newer games, get an 8800GT - some stores are selling it ... or not. If not, you can continue with the 8600GT.

10. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

Hey thanks again guys. Sorry - mobo model number is GA P35C DS3R. That looked good with the 3 PCI slots - I'll need 2 for the soundcard that is already there and wireless adapter plus one spare in case I need it. But what would I need it for? :think:

The Asus P5KPL-VM was harder to find from a solid dealer over here - dabs.co.uk has all the items I mentioned and they are reputable. But I'll search more TYG - don't wish to ignore your solid advice :mrgreen:

I didn't realise the intel BX80557E6750 comes with heatsink and fan as standard - usually they say so in the specs and this didn't
    dabs.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 S775 2.66ghz 4mb Cache 1333FSB (BX80557E6750)

I'm unlikely to overclock, nor is George, our youngest son, who might end up with this system - but he does like gaming :nuts: so you never know...

The 8800GT is an extra £100 :!:
    or extra £240 for the 768MB :!: :!: (oops £140)

Miles

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  11. The_YongGrand

Well, the Gigabyte DS3 is a good one too. The P5KPL-VM is the most basic board with a newer Intel chipset inside, like the DS3. But maybe the DS3 has more features, especially overclocking and the other stuff. It's still good for gaming too. If you can't find the P5KPL-VM, you can try having the DS3, as it is a rock solid one too.

Also, you can continue using the 8600GT - and you can pop a better 8800GT card into it later when you feel like it.

And make sure you have at least 2 gigs of RAM, they are still cheap. :mrgreen:

12. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

TYG, Chai thanks so much :thumb:
    Time to drop in at KL again to buy you guys a beer :mrgreen:
    I go to NZ again in April. Perhaps Malaysian and stopover in KL :?:

Miles

13. Chai

Let us know when you drop by again!

14. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

So far so good here with the new system :)
    The cost is rising though :boohoo: I didn't spot the single IDE socket on the GA P35C DS3R so decided it was a good excuse to to get acquainted with SATA. another £82 for a 500GB drive.
    Anyway, while I await delivery I did a successful initial boot.
    Trying to recycle hardware still, though, I thought I'd add the redundant 80GB HD as a slave on a spare W2k system - got a question about this that I'll post on the Technical Support forum.
    Miles

15. The_YongGrand

I apologize for not telling you earlier about the newer boards before purchase - they don't have IDEs anymore, or only one IDE left. Get SATA HDDs, and it'll all be good. :)

16. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

Well, I should think so..... hey Adrian, any chance of adding a button to subtract rep points for bad advice? ~~ hehe...

No worries TYG :thumb: I'm very grateful for all your help, and looking forward to a faster ride :dance:

Miles

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!!! Fortunately, no. Otherwise, I would have far fewer points now!! :haha: :haha:

18. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

ROTFL :haha: Then you'd have even fewer than Chai - I'm beginning to wonder if a bloodthirsty power struggle is imminent ;)

Miles

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

FORTUNATELY, power is not determined by Rep Power.. or Post Count.. or Reputation!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

20. Chai

Actually, you can. :mrgreen: Disapprove post will reduce rep points.

Adrian: CS5, remember? :haha: