Pulau Ketam (Crab Island)

Discussion in 'strawroot' started by strawroot, May 22, 2008.

1. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

[​IMG]

Pulau Ketam (Crab Island) is located not far from Klang, and you can only reach there by boat. So, you need to go to the South Port of Klang, take a boat ride, RM14 for to-fro tickets. You can also pay when you are on boat too!

[​IMG]

It is a covered boat, so, it is quite steady, you won’t get water splashes onto your face, and it is quite steady, no sea sick.

[​IMG]

This is my first time going to Pulau Ketam. I was worrying about sea-sick, but in fact, there was none at all. They have life jackets on top of both sides of seats. But, all the life jackets are new, untouched. So, I guess it should be pretty safe sitting in the boat. The boat will only take off when the seats are filled.

[​IMG]

This is the first view I get after getting down from the boat. If you have been to Kukup in Johor before, this is quite similar to there, or the Kampung Orang Asli in Johor.

[​IMG]

Of course, they have market there too, on both sides of the streets, outside their homes. Basically, they only sell the dried seafoods, cheap and fresh. You rarely see vegetables or fruits stall there.

[​IMG]

I think they have 2 or more temples like this. There must be also a sea-god overlooking the peace of the sea

[​IMG]

In fact, it is quite a dirty place. You can smell the stench as you walk along the houses.

[​IMG]

Awww..look at the dump! I guess people just don’t bother cleaning up their garbage since they think that all shall be gone with the water.

This is more and less the look of the place, well, there is nothing really fun about it. It's a good place to go if you want to get a feel of some really simple life.

2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well, Pulau Ketam don't have clean up service xD...Wah, go Pulau Ketam also never inform us here..I wanna go too..+ I got friend staying there so easier to get stuffs (bicycle..accomodation and maybe food and FISHES )

3. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

it more like pulau sampah sarap

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Nice photos! And thanks for them, cause I have never been there before. :wall: :wall:

It really looks dirty. No wonder they have such a bad mosquito problem over there. They should really learn to clean up their rubbish. :roll:

How's the food btw? Was it good? :mrgreen:

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Nice pics for sure but not my top pick for a vacation spot :shifty:

6. strawroot

haha it can't be a vacation spot...but i think it is a good place and you can feel the simple life over there.

7. strawroot

[​IMG]

It was a hot day and I had to buy a mini umbrella, it is a funky one, it has no handle, and you just need to wrap it around your head! But, the wind was strong and my umbrella fell into the dry sea. :( my RM3.50 went down the sea.

[​IMG]

Thank god a hero appeared from the dry mud and picked up my umbrella for me! Weee lucky day!

[​IMG]

It was about lunch time, so, we were checking out what to eat. This oyster/lala fried egg stall seemed to have really good business. So, we just had to order one to try.

[​IMG]

After we ordered, we walked to this Kim Hoe restaurant for seafood lunch. With the morning bak kut teh still in my stomach, we weren’t really starving.

[​IMG]

Ta dah! This is the fried oyster (o-chien). Sadly, it was not as good as it looked. The oysters are so tiny and there was too much flour instead of egg n oyster. This is RM8 for the small plate.

[​IMG]

This is fried meehoon with crab. The crab was still juicy and the authentic tastes of crab remained. We didn’t finish the meehoon though, it was dry, and not nice.

[​IMG]

Kam-hiong crab! At only RM28/kg, it is certainly a lot cheaper than anywhere else. More importantly, it is fresh and juicy!

[​IMG]

This is steamed lala with ginger, Rm15. Totally worthed it. Every shell had a meat, not like some here, the meat just went MIA, leaving the shell alone. They were really fresh too! The juice was just yummy and sweet.

The bill came to about RM90 for 4 of us, and there was another steamed fish too. But my hands were already dirty so I could not snap a picture of the fish.

Overall, it was just about a 3 hours trip in Pulau Ketam. It is not really a place for fun, but you can go there and have some seafood and come back happy!

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  8. Adrian Wong

Wow.. Always nice to have a hero nearby... :wicked: :wicked:

BTW, you just tie the umbrella around your neck??? So it's really like a large hat? Got any picture of you wearing it?? :wicked: :wicked:

9. strawroot

hero comes in handy :wicked: :wicked: :wicked:

oh, you have to wear the umbrella on your head. next time i will post up a pic of me wearing tht. it must be ugly coz every single living creature on the island looked at me in one kind

10. Adrian Wong

Indeed! So lucky of you to find such a hero nearby... :twisted:

ROTFL!! I can't wait to see it!! :twisted:

11. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Look at the food :drool: :drool:

I changed my mind booking tickets lol :mrgreen:

12. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

woah, the price for that lala (lala chien i think) dish went up o_O.. I was staying there a while with my dad when he was working there...Kinda nice..Where fishes are fresh, weather are sorta windy =D... At least it looks much better compare to last time :) I used to enjoy throwing bricks at those small little crabs when i was a kid :whistle: