Hard Disk Drive Performance Comparison Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Ever wanted a guide on hard drive performance, where you can compare the performance of a wide range of hard drives? Well, we are not quite there yet, but that is our ultimate objective.

In this performance comparison guide, we will test and compare the performance of all the hard drives we can get our hands on. This is similar to what we are doing in the Intel Core 2 Processor Performance Comparison Guide.

Here's a quote from the guide :-
    [​IMG]

Link : Hard Drive Performance Comparison Guide

2. Arbie

Arbie Newbie

Please include drive multitasking data

An ongoing comparison of hard drives (as well as CPUs) is a great idea and will have me coming back regularly.

I find that the biggest bottleneck in most of what I do is the hard drive, especially when un-RARing a number of big files simultaneously. My aging CPU is rarely even half loaded. I figure the disk is thrashing because it has to switch back and forth between tasks so often.

So... I am very interested in how well drives multitask, and hope you will add that to the basis stats you collect in this roundup. I believe the IPeak suite has a test for this. I don't now know whether Raid 0 will help me out enough in this regard to be worth it, but even comparisons on single drives (especially including the Hitachi DeskStars) will be of interest.

Thanks -

Arbie

3. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Don't forget to add an accoustic/noise benchmark in future revisions of the article :thumb:

4. nearownkira

nearownkira Newbie

maybe u can do a guide on choosing a good hard disk

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hard Drive Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 1.1

Ever wanted a guide on hard drive performance, where you can compare the performance of a wide range of hard drives? Well, we are not quite there yet, but that is our ultimate objective.

In this performance comparison guide, we will test and compare the performance of all the hard drives we can get our hands on. This is similar to what we are doing in the Intel Core 2 Processor Performance Comparison Guide.

In this revision, we have added the 100 GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1 mobile hard drive into the mix. Let's check it out.

[​IMG]

Link : Hard Drive Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 1.1

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

We will be adding IOMeter results soon. That should give us a good idea of how good the controller is.

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. That would be kinda hard. We don't have the proper equipment for that. :(

8. Adrian Wong

Yeah, that's a good idea! :thumb:

9. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

How about temperature? That's not an important thing to know, but it is interesting nonethless :think:

10. Adrian Wong

Hard to do so, as we cannot maintain a steady ambient temperature. That's why we are currently concentrating on this as a Performance Comparison Guide.

11. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Good point! Keep up the work :thumb:

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hard Drive Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 1.2

In this revision, we have added both the 160 GB Seagate Momentus 5400.3 and the 80 GB Hitachi Travelstar 5K160 mobile hard drives into the mix. Let's check it out.

[​IMG]

Link : Hard Drive Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 1.2

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hard Drive Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 1.3

The guide has just been updated! :wave:

[​IMG]

Link : Hard Drive Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 1.3

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hard Drive Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 1.4

[​IMG]

Link : Hard Drive Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 1.4

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hard Drive Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 1.5

[​IMG]

Link : Hard Drive Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 1.5

16. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Any chance of seeing some 32MB drives added to mix and a comparison on how cache size effects the drive's performance and in which workloads? Cache speed is certainly a factor that would be nice to see explained.

ps: I've got a 32MB cache Maxtor 500GB and I'm willing to help.

17. Adrian Wong

You read my mind! Just requested for some 32 MB drives. Let's see if I can get some. :D

Oh, that's great. Where are you located? One thing though, the drive will have to be formatted.

18. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

It needs to be formated? Hmm that's unfortunately not possible. Sorry to disappoint. But if there are any benchmarks that don't require formatting I'll gladly conduct them from where I am.

19. Adrian Wong

Ahh.. That's the problem. The results will vary if different testbeds are used. That's why all tested hard drives are kept empty and used only for tests because if we have to retest quite often. :(

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hard Disk Drive Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 1.7

Here are the latest updates in Revision 1.7 :-
    [​IMG]

Link : Hard Disk Drive Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 1.7

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008