Hurricane Ike

Discussion in 'Ishtim' started by Ishtim, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Now that the storm has exited into the Atlantic, we can start to assess damage.

My brother's beach house (Surfside, Texas about 30 minute drive south of Galveston) was one left standing (sand colored 1 story in the distance of the 1st pic).
    The second pic shows the roof of the house that used to be in between the yellow and blue house and his. Notice the deck is also missing from the yellow and blue house. His house is just missing the stairs… One thing that surprised me is the amount of sand that is gone. The big chunks of rock in front of his place are normally buried by dunes about 2m. tall. And you can see where the concrete "rings" around the stilts marks the normal depth of the sand. He said when he rebuilt it, he did it to 210 km/h (130mph) standards/codes. Obviously some others did not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Aerial photo from national weather service... I annotated it.

Look at all the debris...:faint: :wall: :doh:

Attached Files:

3. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Wow, quite some damage there. At least the house is still standing.

Btw how's ur site? Did Hurricane Gustav hit Alabama? Hope everything ok there.

4. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Gustav like Fay went onshore closer to Lousiana. Just some needed rain for us... :|

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. 2m dunes and they are all gone?? That is A LOT of sand! :shock:

I wonder where they were all blown to... :think:

Frankly, I am surprised that houses built on stilts can survive such a storm. It must have been pretty flexible to stand up to the beating. :think:

6. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Wow, that is just amazing.:shock:

Here in the Midwest we get spared from almost all of the wrath, but still flooding gave us the most trouble here.

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

it was very windy here in buffalo, NY on sunday.

winds gusting up to 100km/h ..

was drivign from toronto back to buffalo in my friends chev. prism .. can feel the car being hit by the wind. no fun to drive at all.

8. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

closer to 180km/h as the storm hit... No plans to have power for 1 month.. no internet/land phone lines for 3 months :faint:

9. Adrian Wong

How slowly did you have to drive?

10. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

11. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

how slow ? .. lol .. didnt care.. still driving 100km/h ++

12. Adrian Wong

13. Adrian Wong

LOL!!! You are not worried about crosswinds???

Even on the PLUS highway, there used to be areas where I could feel the crosswind push my car sideways at 110-120 km/h.

14. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Heavy car FTW! :lol: here winds around 105 km/h are the norm you still better be going at least 113 km/h or you will get run over!

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Heavy and aerodynamic car (sideways) :lol: