My HD2 running Android

Discussion in 'Chai' started by Chai, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Finally, after getting poisoned by strawroot's HD2, I have decided Android is definitely the future for me. WM is still a good platform, but with minimal support and lack of updated software, it's time to move on.

So why did I get HD2 instead of any other proper Android phone like Galaxy S?

Out of so many WM phones in the market, HD2 is the only phone that can fully take advantage of Android since it's one of the only WM phone with capacitive touch screen available here.

With the XDA developers support, HD2 has tremendous ROM cooks, Android build developers. They have successfully ported Android to HD2 with very little limitations. Just yesterday, I found a extremely reliable Android build which is more than sufficient for daily use.

Since I've already migrated fully to Android, so why do I still need WM? Nothing beats the Garmin offline GPS functionality. I've used it in various countries, from Korea to Singapore to Indonesia (Bali). Without Garmin, I would have gotten lost.

After using the latest Android build, I can finally conclude that Android is a serious contender for iPhone. UI is not as refined, but the flexibility has definitely outclassed iPhone.

I doubt anyone would be interested to read this other than karhoe, who is also getting HD2 very soon. hehe...

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Great review! How about the Samsung Galaxy 5? They are using the Android, right? Will try these Android operating systems in the future. :D

3. Chai

Galaxy S is one of the top Android phones, 4.0" Super AMOLED screen, excellent black and super saturated screen (too much in fact). It has 1GHz processor similar to the iPhone 4.

It is quite a good phone, but they are quite slow at upgrading the OS. They have only recently released Froyo.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I actually thought you were waiting for Windows Phone 7... :mrgreen:

5. Chai

Windows Phone 7? You think I'm a MS fan or wat? haha... WP7 has no appeal to me at the moment. Apps are substandard, and there's still insufficient apps.

I have already noticed Android for a long time. Just waiting for a good offline GPS, but I don't have to wait anymore thanks to HD2's Android community! :haha:

6. Adrian Wong

Sigh.. I still have no offline GPS for my iPhone 3GS...

7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I've seen the features of the Samgsung Galaxy 5. It's RM699, and I don't know is it worth it, good or great since it's just recently released.

Anyone tried that Galaxy 5? :D

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

it can be consider one of the cheapest Android phone out there :p...for a small screen though...or you can go for Garmin-Asus's A10 with new Digi Smart plan promo going @ 499 :D

9. Chai

Crap, I didn't know Samsung has Galaxy 5 now. Talk about naming confusion...

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

these 1ghz phones are bad for men's balls. it's like putting a mini cooker in your pocket.

how la like that?

11. Chai

To keep my ballz warm...

12. Adrian Wong

It's also easier to aim at night if your pee glows in the dark. :haha: :haha:

13. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Meaning ready for action any time? :haha: When are we expecting little friends for adrian and jenny's son to play with then :thumb:

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

How much is Hd2 1st hand and 2nd hand at the moment? :think: Around RM1.6k?

15. Chai

Brand new SIS set should be around RM1900. Second hand, anything from RM1100-1400.

Wow...the more I use HD2, the XDA community is really fantastic, greater than any other HTC phones I would say. It is by far one of the most flexible phones in the market, capable of running Windows Mobile, Android Froyo, Ubuntu, W95 etc.

The Android Froyo build is improving everyday, and it is perfectly usable as a full time Android. I doubt I'm going to switch back to WM other than Garmin.

But be warned, it's not a phone for everyone. If you have time to play and tweak the phone, then HD2 is for you. Many 2nd hand HD2 sellers are iPhone 4 buyers, see the pattern? :mrgreen:

16. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Just like those who convert from PC to Apple? *cough* Peaz *cough* :mrgreen:

17. Chai

I'm not sure about Peaz, but I know most iPhone users will never switch OS now. They are really hardcore fans. :mrgreen:

Android is based on Linux, so you can see why it is so interesting for tweakers. HD2ers at XDA forums have been compiling different kernels, tweaking the system clock of HD2, exactly what I love doing. Haha...

iPhone was lousy when it was launched. The only interesting thing is the UI. Feature wise, it was outdated the moment it was launched. iPhone 4 has evolved a lot, featuring some cutting edge stuff, but to be honest, after looking at so many iPhone owners out there, it's not about being cutting edge anymore. More like trend setters. No offense to iPhone owners, but I'm sure you can't deny that. :haha:

18. Adrian Wong

LOL! Well, I'm not interested in setting or following any trends. I just like the iPhone for its ease of use.

19. Chai

I'm refering to the new iPhone owners especially.

Needing to JB every single version of iOS really puts me off, and it is so complicated just to change a single setting on iPhone.

The recent launch of a crappy Flash enabled browser completely defies what Steve tells you. Yeah, I don't need a flash browser. Yeah right. Sorry no pr0n for you. LMAO!

20. Adrian Wong

What to do... Steve's a control freak. :D

If he can, he would decide what type of underwear you should wear - white, sateen cotton, with an Apple logo in front for guys, and a large Apple logo on one tush for girls.