Quattrofest 2010

Discussion in 'PsYkHoTiK' started by PsYkHoTiK, Nov 9, 2010.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I joined Audi Club of North America shortly after buying my car and recently they held a HPDE (High Performance Driving Education) in Portland, Oregon. First half of the first day was the Driver's Education. I learned the limits of my car and what to do to keep it in control. We had a slalom, lane changing exercises, braking test/event (60+mph and slam on brakes to a dead stop - and then threshold braking), and a watered down skid pad. After that, it was followed by the rest of the day of lapping on the race track, and on the second day, it was a full day of lapping.

This was my first time ever on a race track (real track in a real car - all racing sims are way different then the real deal).

Here are my videos (in full 1080p HD for those inclined) of a session taken from my Day 1 and my last session on Day 2.

I was double promoted to "Intermediate Novice" on the first day and hope to be an "Intermediate" driver after getting more track time (and tracks for that matter) under my belt. :)

It was an absolute blast and I enjoyed it very much. I'll post pics and more videos when I get around to it. :p

YouTube - Dry Run QuattroFest 2010 (Dry - Day 1) @ Portland International Raceway
    YouTube - QuattroFest 2010 Run #5, Day 2 (last Run)

:beer:

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I'm jealous. How much did it cost?

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

4. zy

Plus fuel and tires... :mrgreen:

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well if you want to count, I did spend 750 on Stainless Steel brake lines, Motul RBF 600 Racing brake fluid, and Stoptech brake pads... :)

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Something that I have always wanted to do, but financially... :cry:

7. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

That's so sweet!!! Very:cool:

I sure would love to try that!:)

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I thought of buying an Audi over here but the price... :cry: :cry:

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

EVERYONE regardless of what car they drive, will always benefit from a HPDE. Definitely go out and do it. They encourage people to use their daily driver to take the classes and lapping sessions. It makes you a safe driver and you know exactly how your car will handle. :thumb:

10. Trinity

I do it for free on I-75 a few times a week.:p :lol:

Just need a faster car.:( And less cops.:shifty:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I just wanted to share this with you guys (since I know some here are gear heads).

"Handling wise, I'm going to keep bone stock for now. The lead instructor has convinced me. He explained that any mods you do decreases the margin of tolorance that a car has. Like in corners, I could hear the tires chirping (close to it's limit) but I still knew that the car could forgive me if I pushed a tad harder as it still had more adhesion to give. If I had stiffer suspension, that margin would decrease as it would be much less forgiving. Even changing the tires to racing rubber (chirping would be bad - as it really means it is about to break loose). So I'll wait until I am much better and more consistent before I do any of that (and I want to "learn" how the car handles - it handles really really well stock). The only thing I am kinda considering are BBKs now (well maybe after my rotors are worn I suppose). My instructor had BBKs on his S4 and he was braking hard all day long. "

I posted that on one of the Audi forums I frequent. Be careful and tactful of what mods you do to your car. :mrgreen: I'm gonna leave my handling stock, but a BBK likely in the future (thinking of Stoptechs 6 piston fronts! Or the Alcon looks nice too), I'm getting my ECU flashed right now though (I keep telling myself, it is for increase fuel economy LOL)... :shifty: I also want to do catbacks just coz the stock exhaust sounds neutered (in needs to sound more like a real german sports sedan). :snooty:

12. Trinity

Your lich...:)

13. Chai

Yup, that is very true.

I once heard, when modding a car, start from the bottom. Tyres > Rims > Brakes > Suspension.... His advice is definitely very true. Learn your car's limits, then only start modding.

14. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!!!! That's funny, man! :haha: :haha: :thumb:

15. Adrian Wong

IMHO, the first mod should be -> radar + laser detector. :haha: :haha:

16. zy

Wheels not Rims :mrgreen:

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  18. Chai

Why not change it to Tires > Wheels > Brakes > Suspension, you American wanna-be. :haha:

1 person likes this.
  19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL viscious... :haha:

20. Chai

Wow, I saw the onboard footage. The acceleration on the straights is :shock: