Quattrofest 2010

Discussion in 'PsYkHoTiK' started by PsYkHoTiK, Nov 9, 2010.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Rim = outer edge of the wheel. :p

It's just English. Not just American English. :mrgreen:

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yup! :) I'm pretty happy. And it'll be quite a bit faster tomorrow when I pick it up again... :twisted:

I'm a Euro convert now (grew up where all awesome cars were Japanese - but now I'm seeing that the Germans have it right too - especially the good ol' 4 rings and quattro).

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think the best thing about European high performance cars is, they are fast yet very subtle, unlike the Japanese, other than R35 or IS-F. The rest are pretty brutal.

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yup! I really like the stealth nature of it. None of the boy racer styling (like for example on the Evo X that I considered for the longest time - but realized it is too "little" car for too much money).

Normal daily cruising is very subtle and "refined" but when you drop the hammer, not many people see it coming. I like not being pestered by all sorts of cars while driving around (so far it's only bimmers and other audis that seem to know what S4s are - and want to play).

Refined is definitely key I think with the Euro sports cars. But man, there really is something about how mean they can sound as well. The V10s and V8s that I heard on track (from the S8, RS6, and RS4s) were so awesome (not even talking about the R8s). These are posh comfy looking cars with beasts under the hood (with brakes and suspension to match).

5. zy

V8s V10s produces nice sounds.

I like german cars for city drivess. Lots of low end torque compared to japanese cars :roll:

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah, I love the torque on my car. 100% torque @ 2900 rpm (all 325 lb-ft of it)... :cool: It should actually have quite a bit more when I pick it up from the shop today... :twisted:

Here's some pics from the event. :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

7. Chai

Exactly. Japanese are now creating extremely boring cars like Hybrid. Low performance with average fuel consumption.

While Europeans cars are coming out with fuel efficient turbo charged cars. Damn, how I wish I can afford European cars...

8. zy

Hybrids are for slow drivers :doh: They are only fuel efficient when driven slowly.

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hybrids are not meant to be "exciting" what.. They are just "greener" vehicles, but fuel consumption should be very good for city driving. Definitely better than regular petrol/diesel engines.

Hmm.. My uncle drives a Volkswagen Passat CC, with a turbocharged 2.0L engine. According to his wife, it's really thirsty during city driving. Was quite surprised too, but then again, the official specs are not very encouraging :

Urban : 11 L per 100 km
    Extra Urban : 6 L per 100 km

The Hyundai Sonata YF with a standard 2.0 L engine does better :

Urban : 10.5 L per 100 km
    Extra Urban : 5.9 L per 100 km

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well you're comparing a Forced Induction car to a NA car with the same displacement. Of course the FI car will have lower MPG. A 2L turbocharged engine should be compared with a MUCH higher NA displacement engine (~3 litres - In rally they used something like a 1.4x multiplication factor - The Audi Quattro had a 2.1L turbo engine to run in the GroupB which was limited to 3L back in the 80s - and they dominated it too ;) ).

Forced Induction is usually used as a displacement alternative. Smaller engine = relatively better miles per gallon, but with a FI component (Supercharger or Turbocharger), it has the hp and torque of a much higher displacement engine (combines the best of both). It is also ultimately lighter as well.

A good example is the engine in my S4. Previous gen (B6 and B7 S4s) had 4.2L V8s. Mine (B8) has a 3L Supercharged engine. It makes around the same power and torque, and gets much better fuel economy. If you compare it with other NA 3Ls, of course it'll be worse, because FI is a replacement for displacement (important for fuel economy). The only flipside is it doesn't sound as nice as the V8s past (don't get me wrong though - it still sounds very nice - it growls, purrs, and whines!).

As for Hybrids, yes, they are slow and boring cars... MOST of them. :) The previous parental-o-mobile was a Lexus GS450h. It was a hybrid but far from boring (the eletric motor was used for torque - not fuel economy - so when you gunned it, it'd use both the V6 and the electric motor together for increased acceleration). Electric motor = 100% torque the moment you touch the "gas" pedal.

As for the Passat. ~21.4 MPG in the city driving is actually considered really good... Sure it's not as good as some of the cars that we sell ( :p ), but it is still really good. I'm averaging 18MPG (as of yesterday) right now (and between 21-22 MPG on the highway), but that's with my 9MPG tracking weekend... LOL! I should be getting much better MPG right now since I just had a ECU reflash for *cough* better fuel economy (and moar powah!).

My 2011 Audi S4 (Audi S4) | Fuelly

As an added benefit, for gearheads, Forced Induction cars offers a lot of tweaking and tuning possibilities (like me getting an ECU flash and unlocking so much power - while getting *cough* better fuel economy). :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  11. zy

comparing same displacement, you'll loose 1-2mpg for the FI car. (depending on the size of the turbo as well)

Same goes to dad's company Audi.
    A4 2.0L FSI vs A4 2.0L TFSI (turbo)

TFSI looses about 1MPG compared to the standard 2L.
    but it produces 80% more peak horsepower and a flat torque across 2000-5000rpm (50% more than the peak torque of non turbo).

12. Chai

2.0L vs 2.0L FI, completely different league. There's no comparison.

This is the problem with Japanese cars, underpowered most of the time. That's why I'm looking at FI cars, not hybrid. Hybrid are for gheys and celeb. :haha:

13. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Just wondering, What does she do a 1/4 mile in? (time/speed)

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

~13s stock. Into 12s with ECU tune (I now have the 93 octane tune from APR - link).

I pulled this quickly from the Audi forums I frequent.

##- YYYY/MM/DD - Time @ MPH - 60FT - TM - Tune - Fuel - Username - Confirmation
    **************************************************************************************************************
    01 - 2010/11/07 - 12.131 @ 117.12 MPH - 1.767 - DSG - APR STG 1 100 - 100 AKI - primetime(Ron) - Video
    02 - 2010/10/10 - 12.481 @ 111.76 MPH - 1.825 - 6MT - APR STG 1 93 - 93 AKI - sobz - Time Slip
    03 - / / - 12.605 @ . MPH - . - DSG - APR STG 1 93 - 93 AKI - Brendon - No Confirmation
    04 - 2010/10/ - 12.908 @ 107.60 MPH - 1.906 - DSG - APR STG 1 93 - 93 AKI - NickS - No Confirmation
    05 - 2010/10/08 - 12.955 @ 108.22 MPH - 1.935 - DSG - Stock - - Hyper_M3 - Time Slip
    06 - 2010/10/26 - 13.050 @ 107.52 MPH - 2.030 - DSG - APR STG 1 93 - 93 AKI - Voltrons_Head - Time Slip
    07 - 2010/10/30 - 13.358 @ 106.63 MPH - 2.101 - 6MT - Stock - 93 AKI - Ray Kahn - Time Slip
    08 - / / - 13.410 @ . MPH - . - 6MT - Stock - - Unknown - Time Slip

15. zy

I took a look at the pictures. A8 is ugly :faint: :faint:

16. Chai

Trying to be nostagic I guess.