Unifi issues : Distributing tel line and existing alarm system

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by cplng, Jan 14, 2011.

1. cplng

cplng Newbie

Hi all,
    I've just installed Unifi @home and am looking for help from those who have knowledge on Unifi vs alarm systems.

The Unifi system comes with a new phone line. Existing TM phone line is recommended to be disconnected (account closed) unless you want to pay for two land lines from telekom.

With the Unifi telephone line now up and running, I have two issues that need help.

Issue 1 : Connecting Unifi line to Tel distribution box.
    =========================================

1. My original land line is connected to a central distribution box (those small yellow matchbox size thingy) in the ceiling/roof, which then span/splits into 4 locations around the house. Upstairs, downstairs, kitchen, alarm system.
    This means, that when someone calls my old TM line, 3 phones ring at the same time. (alarm system use that line to call out - more about that later..)

2. If I disconnected the existing TM/Streamyx copper line account, my current 3 phone lines (and the phone jacks in the walls) will be white elephant.

3. Right now, with Unifi providing only one phone line, and in a double storey house, we either run/up and down when the phone rings. Not sustainable.

4. I need to connect the Unifi phone line to the central box in the roof to enable simultaneous ringing of the phones already installed around the house.

5. I have problem doing this, because the new Unifi phone line originates from the new Unifi box located downstairs.

6. Besides, I do not know if Unifi phone line signal is strong enough to support a "distributed" connection.

7. I am writing to see if anyone has any experience with this issue, and what they have done about it. Any lessons learnt shared will be much appreciated.

Issue 2 : Compatibility btw Unifi tel line with current alarm system
    ==================================================
    The existing alarm system works with TM's copper line system.
    I have requested security vendor to evaluate how to connect Unifi tel system to existing alarm, so that we can receive a "dial out" notification if alarm triggers.

1. Vendor says whole alarm panel must change bcos existing alarm system not compatible with Unifi line. Approx RM1500-1800.

2. Vendor says Unifi phone line wire (from the fibrehome or ZTE VDSL unit) must be connected to the alarm panel. (so if you place your VDSL unit next to the TV bcos of proximity to your TV for IP TV function, you will find yourself scratching your head on how to lay a telephone cable from your TV cable to your security panel, which is definitely not next to your TV!!).
    RM xx??

3. What if you do not wish to pull the line? Ans : Vendor also suggested using installing a new GSM module (provided by the security vendor) into the existing security panel. This will require you to buy a Digi/Hotlink prepaid card and insert the SIM card into the module, for the module to "call out" when alarm triggers.
    Approx RM900-RM1000.

4. I am interested to know what are the experiences out there, and what are your "other options" I may not have considered.

Appreciate your sharing.
    Rgds.

2. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

As for part 2, I think it is pure BS.

The existing alarm system will just need to input 'tones' into the line to dial the specific number. Think of it as a device that will physically punch in the phone number to dial out, since it's done at hardware level.

Unless unify is technically a VoIP, then I have no comment.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

AFAIK, the new telephone line can still be connected to your distribution box. You should have asked the TM installer to do it when they came to install Unifi.

If that's not possible, then I would recommend you consider a cordless phone system.

As for the alarm system, I agree with karhoe. I think that's BS too. AFAIK, the alarm system just generates the necessary tones to the phone line to "make the call". Unless the new phone system is completely digital.

You should try asking TM, or check with another vendor.

The GSM suggestion is ridiculous. The initial cost and maintenance is not worth it. In addition, it depends on how good the reception is where the alarm system is located. If you are hiding your alarm system in the storage room under the stairwell, it's possible that the reception may be so poor that the call may not even go out...

4. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

I connected my unifi phone line to my main line and to alarm. My unifi fiber modem is upstair, my alarm box is upstair and my phone line is downstair. No problem, I just need to configure the alarm to recognize less ring then my previous 10 rings. It works, nothing extra was needed, just need to pull some sweat working on the roof top. My alarms can call out in-case of emergency. only when there is a power-trip and modem is down, then cannot call out..

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I thought it is? That's why it is not possible to use the existing phone number on the new unifi line?

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Seriously? If that's the case I would not subscribe Unify anytime soon because my house phone number is far too important.

Chai, since you have it, enlighten us, from the gateway to the phone, is it a standard RJ45 cable? or RJ11 ?

7. Adrian Wong

Not sure why they need a whole new telephone number but if mikegas has successfully paired his alarm system with his Unifi phone line + broadband, then it should be doable.

8. Chai

You can always keep 2 phone lines like I do.

RJ11.

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I don't want to pay unnecessary fixed line fees.

Ok, so it's using RJ11, that means any conventional phones would work with Unify right?

Also if that is the case, it means that the voice signal is 'digitalized' in the box and then transmitted via the fibre optics cable.

That means the conventional alarm system would also work. :D

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah, AFAIK, conventional phones and alarm systems should work with Unifi. I haven't examined my aunt's system closely but AFAIK, they are still using the same alarm system and cordless phone system. No change AFAIK.

11. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Yes it work.. the phone unifi gave is a panasonic cordless RJ11 connection. Do not have any problem la. . with alarm what so ever. Just have to be sure fiber modem is not turn off, you will have a regular phone line. I don't know why so fuss about this.

My phone line is drag from upstair to downstair .. still hear loud and clear. My alarms also call me every once a while .. so no problem.

12. Chai

It means that you are not desperate enough to get Unifi. :haha:

13. Adrian Wong

LOL! Well, I think most of us can't wait to get Unifi. It's just that in this age where everyone has mobile phones, the fixed line just doesn't make much sense anymore.

I definitely need one, if only to make sure the alarm can call my mobile phone when it goes off, but there's no need for a second line.

14. Chai

The problem is that, some people doesn't want to change the number, so it shows that land line is still important. Or the need for fax machine etc.

15. Adrian Wong

Yes, if they still use the land line, like my parents.

Personally, I never received any calls on my land line, except for unsolicited calls to sell me insurance, etc. :haha: :haha:

So I definitely do not mind changing numbers! Hahaha!!

16. Chai

Actually he likes good phone numbers. That's why he is not willing to let go.

17. Adrian Wong

Oh, but how did he get such a "good number"? AFAIK, you cannot choose the number when you sign up for the line.

My current number is easy to remember but I don't really mind letting it go because I never actually call that number! :haha: :haha:

18. Chai

Exactly why he isn't going to give up! :haha:

19. Adrian Wong

LOL! No wonder! :D

One thing I don't get - why can't they just reassign the number to your Unifi line?

20. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Cause my parents using the phone number for business, so it's quite an established number.