Dead and reborn...

Discussion in 'Dashken' started by Dashken, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

So, how are you feeling these days? :mrgreen:

And have you decided on a replacement car yet?

BTW, regarding your insurance, how did you get your car insured under a third party policy? AFAIK, that's only possible if your car is more than 10 years old...

2. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Hi Dasken, just saw the thread today, glad u r ok.

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'm feeling better already. It's my 2nd day at work today and doing great. :thumb:

I got myself a 2nd-hand myvi for about 33k. Not bad, good condition and all... :D

Ahh... I have no idea. Hihi... once I finished the loan, received the registration card and straightaway changed from first party to third party insurance. No problem at all... My father's idea though. :haha:

I'm good, alive and kicking. Thanks. :mrgreen:

4. Adrian Wong

Seriously, I didn't think it was possible. AFAIK, third-party insurance is only available for very old cars - more than 10 years? :think:

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Weird huh... seems to be no problem in my case... it felt better to pay 3-digit insurance than a 4-digit one... :lol:

But now... sigh... back to 4-digit... :faint:

On 2nd thought, I don't think we did return the registration card back to the bank after we renewed the road tax and insurance the first time. We are supposed to return it back to the bank right?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Why 3rd party insurance? Because you don't want any compensation?

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Because I'm a safe driver... until 3 weeks ago. :doh:

8. Chai

There's no such thing as safe drivers. The problem is there's a very big chance it's the other drivers that are not safe, especially in MY. :naughty:

In fact, I feel it's safer to drive fast to avoid idiots hitting my bump. :haha: So it is up to you to avoid hitting others in front of you.

9. Adrian Wong

I used to go for 3rd party insurance too, because my car's value was just too low to make first party insurance worthwhile. But now that I have to insure it first party, I insured it for the lowest value - RM 10,000 to save on the cost.

But Chai's right - you may be a safe driver, but that doesn't mean other people are safe drivers. :D

I've been hit by others in the butt. Thankfully, the Sonata's butt is quite tough - never had to repair the minor knocks I received. :haha:

BTW, buying a better, safer car is also a form of insurance. I think we should not skimp on that, if we can afford it. Features like ABS, disc brakes, airbags, better chassis and even traction control systems help prevent accidents and if accidents do happen, they help prevent us from getting killed or badly injured.

10. Chai

Hmm...talking about disc brakes, although having all wheel disc brakes is a nice feature to have, but unless you always travel at high speeds, even having 2 front disc brakes can be more than sufficient. Most Nissan cars do not have all wheel disc brakes, but they are generally very good. It is just not so good for racing, so who cares really.

Having a safe chassis is the most important I would say. It reduces risk caused by idiots. :haha:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I always like stronger brakes. It's always more of a good thing. Not really talking about track use either. Anything that can reduce stopping distance has real world benefits I think. My previous vehicle (an SUV) had really powerful brakes. So does both of my parent's cars (a Lexus sedan and a Toyota Minivan - I joke that they need it if the gas pedal gets stuck LOL). It's something I immediately test when I drive a car (test drive or otherwise).

Of course for track use, I'd want a setup that I can brake and engage ABS on even at higher speeds (I've engaged mine at about 80mph and I've successfully done threshold braking at 130mph - though it pad and rotors heating up by the 6th lap - which is why I have a desire to go the BBK route).

On the road, I have had strong brakes save my butt plenty of times. I have also had at least one occassion where a poorly maintained (spongy pedal) brake system made me get up close an personal with another car. I have had even more occassions where I've seen cars that couldn't stop on time, that should have if they had stronger brakes (swerved to other lane).

Brakes, ABS, and other safety things, are stuff I will never skimp on. I'm "worth" it. :mrgreen:

My acid test is if you can't engage ABS or get your tires to "chirp" under braking at highway speeds - they're not good enough. (and since tires are the ONLY contact points to the road - they're equally important).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  12. Chai

That is exactly what I'm trying to do now. Now I have one of the best tyres for my cars, I'm planning to change the rotors and buy some high performance brake pads (Hawk HPS) from US. :shock: