My SSR rim is dented because of potholes :(

Discussion in 'Chai' started by Chai, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It's a really sad day yesterday when I hit a super huge pothole that I couldn't see at a 70km/h speed limit stretch of road (Jln Duta). I can immediately felt the rim was dented, and when I finally get down from my car, unsurprisingly, the rim was slightly dented.

Although I got it relatively cheap 3rd hand, this is a very high end Japanese rim. :(

Can I repair dented rims? Any recommendations?

2. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I had a simliar experience, hit a pothole, but the wheel hub cover came off, and got rolled over by cars behind.

3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Get it rebalanced? New tire?:think:

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

My friend lost 2 hubcaps due to a pothole .. sigh ..

Chai, you sure its the rim & not the tire damaged?

5. Chai

Hubcaps are small matter, and I don't even use them lol. Yes, the rim is dented. I will take a picture of it.

Even the forge alloy rim cannot withstand such impact.

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Man, that sucks.

I hit a couple of potholes. I do hope my rim is not dented.. :pray:

I almost failed to go uphill on a snowy condition today. I need LSD :whistle:

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Damn.. That sucks, man... I also dented the rims on my old Proton Wira but I never got around to repairing them. Not sure if you can do that. Have you tried asking the shops that sell rims though?

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

where is mad1 when u need him

9. Chai

Sorry for bumping this thread. Actually there are rim repair shops. But they will respray the whole rim, and the color will look different from the current.

So I decided to leave it alone. Even the shop owner told me to ignore it if there's no vibration or air leaks.

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm... The only way around this would be for you to respray all four rims, but I think that would be quite expensive, right?

11. Chai

Yup, it will be. But the original wheel and color is unique. And all the original stickers and labelling would have to be removed.

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Man I have been hitting some potholes too lately. Snow and the freezing/melt/refreeze cycle is doing a great number on the roads here. No dents so far on my OEMs though... :pray: That's the only thing I'm scared of. If I drop 3-4K on forged wheels and it gets dinged... :faint:

SSRs are awesome btw, just not available on my fitment size (5x122 offset 32mm)... :(

13. Chai

Yeah, Japanese wheels for Euro cars are not so common. BBS, OZ are your common choices.

14. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

actually..how expensive are good japanese rims? my dad just had the rim changed again..those taiwan rim dont really last long..not sure if it's the tyre shop tactic that claims that all 4 rims are not balance anymore (changed to 2nd hand tyres, those with lots of thread) :wall:

15. Chai

Depending on sizes and brand, it can be from RM2k+ to 10k+ per set.

Gram lights is pretty good, around 3-4k for 15". Add another 1k per inch roughly.

16. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Hmmm, where to get those? technically all shops around my area have tw sport rims instead of good one :wall:

17. Chai

Good ones are very hard to find. You may have to find it from tuner shops, or buy second hand ones.

Most tyre shops only sell cheap rims.