Track event

Discussion in 'PsYkHoTiK' started by PsYkHoTiK, May 17, 2011.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Two videos from a track event I went to yesterday. :)

First video is my Instructor having a spin around in my car with me riding shotgun. Normally, it isn't something I would willingly do (you'd have to shoot me no less than two times to ever hand my keyes over). But I made an exception for a Pro Racing driver (he's also the "Lead SCCA Instructor" for the region). ;) And holy crap was it fun! Overtook RS4s, track prepped STI and a track Mustang Cobra. After that session, I drove (still unprocessed video) and I was hitting the limit of my car. Sliding it as I jumped on the power to get onto the straight and he loved it when the traction control started stepping in to "hold me back". Rain + quattro = WIN! RWD cars slipping and sliding ha!

This video is of my last session. Rain stopped pouring and I really started burning rubber (literally - my Michelin PS2s are way scuffed lol). I overtook almost everyone in the session (overtook the same car twice - a good friend of mine that kept getting held up - while I aggressively hauled ass).

Highlights:
    2:49 asked to leave a bigger gap
    11:19 Fuel Warning
    13:00 Yellow Flag (slow down, hold position = thumbs up to corner workers acknowledging flags)
    13:15 Decline passing (as per flag)

Car specs:
    Car mods:
    2011 Audi B8 S4
    7 speed DSG
    APR 93 Octane tune
    APR RSC Catback Exhaust
    Stoptech Street Performance Pads (front), SS lines all around, Motul RBF600 race brake fluid

I should be making ~370 awhp and ~350 lb-ft of all wheel torque...

Videos are in 1080p btw... :)

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

A cool video footage from the person/car I first overtook at the start of my posted video. Very COOL to see my car in action from the outside (since I'll never get to see how I "look").

Final Session MAMDS2011 Lapping Day on Vimeo

3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

That looks like a blast!!!:cool:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The gearshift sounded a bit rough. It's DSG right?

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I'll bet it feels much better than the racing simulator at the arcades! :D

BTW, how did you record the video?

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It definitely is! I am totally hooked! :)

Yeah it is a DSG. It's not "rough" per se. You don't feel anything in the car - it just keeps accelerating. The engine retards the timing to allow the gear shift to happen. It is known as the "DSG fart" LMAO. It is quite loud from the outside. It will only do it above ~3500 rpm. My exhaust does a good job of directing the sound backwards and not into the passenger cabin. :thumb:

Nothing in the arcades or the computer can come close to the experience behind the wheel. It is worlds apart. It makes you a better/safer driver too!

To record the video, I used a GoPro HD motorsports. :beer: :thumb:

It comes with a suction cup mount that I mounted on my sunroof. It also works very well mounted on the exterior of the car (I have had it on the rear quarter panel, my trunk lid beside the license plate, and also on the front fender). It is awesome! It shoots in full HD 1080p. It is meant as a high impact camera and even has a fully waterproof housing. Used in race cars, skiing, motorcycles, snowboarding, base jumping, surfing, you name it. I have even used it for gokarting (mounted via an adhesive mount onto my helmet).

GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

At only 300 bucks, very much worth it!

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm jealous...I don't think I will have a chance like this in my life. :(

8. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

fap fap fap... :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  9. ana3mic

ana3mic Newbie

Damn, that looks like tons of fun :clap:.

10. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

That is better than playing drifting and speeding cars in video games!

I wish I would ride a car high speed and the drifting! :thumb:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It's better than any video game! The G forces, the feel of the weight transfer, the feedback the wheel gives you as you're fighting under/oversteer, and especially the feeling of powering it out of a corner and onto the straight away (lovely very controlled and non-dramatic four wheel slide - tires at the limit of traction).

12. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Yeah. I wished I would have that chance... I can't even find cars for me to speed along in a track here! :haha:

But all the swerving and the drifting, wouldn't one get motion sickness? :faint:

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I don't... :p

But I'm not very "sensitive" to that kind of stuff (even as a passenger).

Braking is probably the most unnerving for me. With big strong brakes and good max performance tires the car will brake harder than you "think". If you look at the instructor lap, my head lunges forward a bit at full threshold braking. The G-forces around the corner are pretty heavy too. I've been hitting the gym for the past few months so my "core" strength is a lot higher so I can "fight" it better (I used to have to prop my legs to either the door or the center console to steady myself the last time - didn't have to this time though). Think about it, the slalom section I did at about 60mph (~95kmh). I guess with driving (or learning to drive) you're fixated on apex after apex (set yourself for immediate apex, after that you're already looking at the next one - all that while having "situational awareness" looking where the cars are around you - a purpose of lapping). Don't really have much time to get any motion sickness when you're concentrating very hard. On my second last session in heavy rain, I was actually panting while driving and sweating a lot. It's a physical activity, but definitely more of a mental activity (you just feel "drained" at the end of the day).

A good example of a great passenger on the track:

Man jealous that they don't have to wear helmets up there in Canada... :p

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Just visit PsYkHoTiK and say, "Pretty please???" :wicked: :wicked: :haha: :haha: