The Tech ARP External HDD Enclosure Giveaway!

Discussion in 'Contests!' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Adrian, I'll self collect the prizes :D

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

As usual! :haha:

3. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

spammer(me) victory again :haha:

4. Adrian Wong

LOL!! Lucky spammer though! :D

5. gamerkidz

gamerkidz Newbie

Adrian, I have a bad news :cry:

I brought the ext enclosure to lowyat and told the fella to fix an int hdd to it, the ext HDD didn't light up and the light at the power adapter was blinking dimly.

I took it home and I thought maybe it was due to the SATA jumper as the shop dude didn't fix it. Set the jumper and tried again, after a min or so, this time I saw the thing smoking infront of my eyes LOL. So I guess it's pretty dead haha.

I'm aware it doesn't come with warranty :p But well, thanks anyway Adrian :beer:

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

PS - the above was actually me, was posting from my brother's pc :)

7. Adrian Wong

OMG... How come?? That was brand new!! :shock: :shock:

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Seriously I had no idea, manufacturer's defect? lol. When I collected that enclosure from you, my next destination was home for shower and then straight to Lowyat. Really the first person to open the box since then was the salesman.

I saw that he opened up the WD Green 2TB drive and plugged it into the enclosure. Then he turned it on and we saw that the adpater light was blinking at a fast rate but it was very dim, and the hard drive didn't work.

So like I mentioned above, I took it home, connected another drive and left it on for 1 min or so (this time I didn't cover the enclosure so I could see the circuit board, but it was well grounded, placed it on a cardboard)

Then I saw with my own eyes the part on the circuit where the power supply connector is soldered to the PCB started to smoke and some sparks. I shouted to my brother to power off the plug and then I could only pray the HDD was still alright, and thank God it was still alright lol.

9. Adrian Wong

OMG.. Was it the power adaptor, you think? I've used so many of these enclosures, never had a problem, and Luxon is a very good brand. :think:

10. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I had no idea, that shop dude was thinking that it was the circuit instead because when we disconnected the power supply from the enclosure, the light became normal again.

11. Adrian Wong

If you disconnected the power supply, why is the enclosure's light still on??

12. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hmm, to clarify, the light on the enclosure was never on, it was the light on the power adapter. Sorry for the confusion.

And the light on the adapter stay on even after we off it, I believe is due to the capacitor charge.

13. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I still havent claim my prize :lol:

14. Adrian Wong

Damn.. Sorry about that, dude... :wall: :wall:

It was a BRAND NEW unit!! :wall: :wall:

15. Adrian Wong

Eh.. I'm still waiting for your details!! :wall:

16. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:lol: Just sent. Take your time.

17. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

It's alright :)

18. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Today I've received the notification from the post office. Only next Thursday I can pick up the package...will let you know how it arrived.

19. Adrian Wong

Oh cool! It finally arrived. :thumb:

20. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Picked up the package, the enclosure work just fine on USB. Haven't tested on eSATA but I'll do that soon. Will post back some test results with a WD Scorpio 160GB. Thank you! :beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.