Audi Club NW's Geschwindigkeit 2011 - Pacific Raceways

Discussion in 'PsYkHoTiK' started by PsYkHoTiK, Jul 10, 2011.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yesterday I took part in the local Audi Club's chapter (ACNW) track day at Pacific Raceways. :) It's my third track event and by far my favorite track currently (that I've driven). Also just got signed off as Intermediate solo... ;)

After my first run (getting acquainted with the track), I let my instructor drive my car for a few laps (requested the same instructor I had last time - a pro race driver and active in the SCCA). After that it was me getting settled on a line and fine tuning my braking and speed within corners. Any how, enough chatter and on to the videos... :p

Chasing down a B5 S4 (stage III) in my third session (lol just after lunch):

My fourth session (starting by overtaking a RS6 was behind him for quite a while):

My last session - running solo once more:

Overall, it was a fun day. I love the track (hitting 130-140 at the end of the straight and turning downhill on the throttle - needs balls hahaha). Chewed my tires up and I definitely need track pads if I'm going to be braking as hard all the time - a lot of threshold braking and compressed/late braking (pad material started "melting" - instead of layering the wheels in "dust", it looks like "liquid spatter"...)

That and I had awesome numbers:
    [​IMG]

My wheel and tire (post event):
    [​IMG]
    Poor poor Michelin PS2s... The front tire's side wear markers have all been scrubbed off. For brakes, I'm running StopTech Street Performance pads, SS lines, and Motul RBF 600... Tire pressure was at 42 PSI front, 40 PSI rear (cold).

And finally, my instructor driving the car (and having so much fun):

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Awesome.:)

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

With a number like that, I'm sure you get all the girls... :twisted:

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Apparently my exhaust "turns people on" sometimes (comment from a good lady friend of mine)... :lol:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Turns on the girls? Or the guys as well? :wicked:

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL! Not sure which (but I do consider myself a taco loving guy and not a hotdog guy)... LMAO! :haha:

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Is there any Stoptech pads for track use? Maybe you need those...

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'm looking at some other options. I don't mind some noise from the brakes but tons of dust is probably gonna bug me. I'm thinking I might go ahead and save up for a BBK that will allow me to swap pads in and out without undoing the caliper (I know Stoptech calipers allow for quick pad changing this way.

Considering Carbotech (but high dust). There's another brand that a few friends of mine run that I want to look into as well. Ferodo DS2500 seems to be kinda interesting too (but wondering if those will be the same as my stoptechs)... Another very attractive option are from Performance Friction (PFC 97).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  9. Chai

I don't mind the dust, but I definitely mind the noise. It is something that I have to bare everything I brake! :haha:

Pad swapping is still not so convenient as you still need to remove the wheels.

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I just had a look at my stoptech street performance pads.

"forward" rotation is counter clockwise from the picture. Looks like there was some slight chipping of it. I emailed stoptech and they don't make any higher temp pads for my stock calipers. Will probably look and see some of the others (waiting to hear back from Performance Friction - their "Z-rated" pads seem to have good reviews).

Edit: A response from StopTech:
    Hahaha! BBK it is I guess...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

12. Chai

Personally, I would get some decent race pads. Changing to BBK will cost a lot of money for little return, and you will most likely have the change the wheels too.

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

BBK will help with the overheating aspect of it. Stock wheels will clear a 380mm kit too (plus I intend to change the wheels too). Heat really is the main issue at this point (heavy car needs to be slowed from the triple digits down - 4000 lb car). A BBK will have a higher thermal capacity and larger swept area (that allows it to dissipate better). My two buddies running the same cars as me (one with a stoptech 355mm 6 piston kit and the other with a 380mm alcon 6 piston kit) had no drama at all (not even the slightest fade). My buddy with the stoptech BBK was even using the same brake pads as I was (though sized to fit his ST-60 caliper).

Plus with stoptechs, swapping pads are much easier. Good thing I have a few more months before then next track event lol....

14. Chai

Unless you are looking for a reason to upgrade to BBK (which I think you are :haha:), get higher temperature pads first, it is way cheaper.

It is very likely that the bigger diameter disc is cooling/absorbing heat better, so even the normal Stoptech Street pad is able to handle the load without cooking it. I really don't like the idea of swapping pads on every track event, especially on a DD, even though I know how to change it myself.

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well I've never been one to really need a "reason" to upgrade. (LICH KING - BAIBAIBAIBAI remember? LOL!)

Yeah my main reason is so that I can use normal street compounds and not have to swap all the damn time (too lazy LOL I just want to drive). We'll see. :)

16. Chai

Just get something with higher operating temperature.

Maybe those running on Stoptech BBK doesn't push as hard as you do, that's why it doesn't overheat even with street pads.

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah that is a valid point. I was watching my friend's video clips of them lapping and they were a good 10-20mph slower than me (and up to 30-40mph slower in the straight) around the track...