recommend me a monitor

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by SkylineRemix, Apr 16, 2014.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Hi all,

my 7 years old Samsung monitor is getting ready to retirement home soon. Been looking around for monitors and have narrow down to these few monitors:

- Philips 234E5Q 23 inch widescreen Monitor (RM555, First choice)
    I saw the demo unit at AllIT Digital Mall and what caught my attention is the thin bezel of the monitor.

- Dell P2314H 23 inch widescreen monitor (RM699)
    Upon browsing for other option, bump into this unit. Was wondering if the tiltable monitor would be an advantage.

I believe both are glossy monitors and afraid that it would give me a headache when used. Another thing i'm concern is that my hardware is ancient (build in year 2007) and currently running on 8400gs if not mistaken. Unsure if a more powerful graphic card is needed to support 23 inch monitor. Otherwise, I would have to stick to 21.5 inch monitor to ensure that it's compatible.

Would appreciate if I could get some advice.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

If you're not gaming then the Dell model should be alright. The latency is high on the Philips monitor and for sure I wouldn't buy it.
    Both models have high latency which can translate to ghosting in gaming and blurry images when watching movies.
    As for the aspect, I would stay away from the glossy models as the finger prints, dust and scratches are easier to spot and that could be annoying for some.
    To sum it all up, the Dell (better specs) would be my choice between those two.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Don't worry about the graphics card. The GeForce 8400 GS can support 1920x1200.

Tilt support can be an advantage because sometimes you want the panel to be sitting low and yet tilted flat to your view. But it's not a deal-killer IMHO.

The biggest advantage Dell has is its warranty and support. It's the only one in the market that offers not only to-the-door delivery but also next-business-day replacement. Can't beat that! :thumb:

4. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

But then dell monitor lack the HDMI port which philips offers (philips offer 2 hdmi port i think). The USB ports on the dell however are USB 2.0. My intention is to get a monitor that would last for another 5-8 years. Future proof may be one thing lah. Still on the fence to consider the additional RM150 for the dell monitor.

5. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I may need to go back to AllIT digital mall to check the monitor. Can't remember if there is HDMI port actually. perhaps I got it mixed up with other monitors.

Btw, is HDMI port useful?

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you have no need for HDMI, you really shouldn't worry about that.

You may need it if you are using a bluray player, or maybe a console. Other than that, I don't really see the need.

You can still buy a HDMI to DVI cable as a last resort, but no audio signal.

7. Adrian Wong

Yeah, you don't really need HDMI unless you want to hook a Bluray player or console to the monitor. But even if you do so, the monitor will need to have speakers to support the audio output.

8. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Settled with philips. Couldn't stand the old monitor already. I happen to get the one with 2 HDMI port and a VGA port. I happen to realize that my 8400GS have HDMI port. Didn't want to spend that extra 100 bucks on dell.

9. Adrian Wong

It should also have a DVI port. If you can, use the DVI port instead of the VGA port.

10. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

perhaps i have the one cater to different country. the link that I posted is from philips UK, different product maybe. On my receipt, it is stated as 234E5Q"H"SB. Perhaps is the same range but different features.

I also prefer VGA port actually. Is HDMI any better? I should consider getting a good HDMI cable actually. At the moment, i'm using the DVI to VGA converter on my graphic card and the monitor is connected with a VA cable. So far so good.

11. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

update. This is the right product link. The one is posted earlier is a different variant.

Philips 234E5QHSB

It's funny that philips malaysia didn't list this in the webpage.

12. Adrian Wong

Well, HDMI and DVI are definitely superior to VGA. You don't need HDMI, because you are not going to output audio to the monitor. You just need a DVI cable if the monitor supports DVI.

13. Adrian Wong

Oh, it looks like your monitor does not have a DVI port, only a HDMI port.

Well, if you are fine with VGA, that's okay. A HDMI cable would just give you a better image because it's digital - there's no digital to analogue conversion and vice-versa, as it would be for VGA.

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

For PC, it's DVI > HDMI > VGA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

15. webhostingpk

webhostingpk Newbie

why not go for asus monitor?