Car DVR Dashcam

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Dashken, May 31, 2014.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Actually mobius mounting can be clip on if you want. I'm using that on my 808 keycam which works quite well. Look at my mountain bike ride videos.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

That's why. Get it!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think my brother-in-law and I will most likely get the SJ4000. Do you think it's worth buying their 32 GB Transcend Class 10 microSD card? :think:

4. Chai

Sj4000 is a gopro basically. It is not suitable for a dash cam.

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Eh... stylo man. But not recommended to be placed without being removed at parking. Or else when he/you are back for the car, the camera will be no more. :haha: :thumb:

32GB gives you approx. 5-6 hours of 1080p videos. 16GB gives about 2-3 hours... so, it all depends on how much you need in storage and Transcend seems to work better for these Novatek chipset dash cams. :mrgreen:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  6. Chai

Is the camera really that exp that anyone would want to break the windscreen?

7. Adrian Wong

Why isn't it suitable? Best of all, it can double as a waterproof video camera for the rare occasions one goes to the waterpark or seaside. LOL...

8. Adrian Wong

Well, sometimes windows are broken for the change people keep in the ashtray compartment... :wall:

BTW, my brother-in-law had his side window smashed because he had a GPS unit attached... :wall:

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well... it looks like a GoPro... so who knows... :lol:

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah, so definitely have to remove it all the time... :think:

Or maybe mount it without the waterproof casing (is this possible?) so it doesn't look like a GoPro?

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

With double-sided tape? But then, can you adjust the angle? :mrgreen:

12. Chai

It's missing some crucial features like rotated timestamp when mounted upside down, and a few more other features.

13. Adrian Wong

Hmm... it should be able to be mounted right-side up, even if the car mount is upside down, right? Looks like it from the pictures...

14. Chai

Yup, you are right. Didn't know there's tripod mount on both ends. But it will not work if it is in the water proof case, but I don't think it matters that much.

But personally, I think it's too big for a dashcam.

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Looks like rotated video is possible, which includes timestamp too I believe. :D

SJ4000 Action Cam Firmware | Action Cam FAQ

But...

4. This new firmware version for V01 degrades photo and video quality. The 1080p files is actually 720p, interpolated to 1080p. If you want real 1080p, do not upgrade.

16. Adrian Wong

Wahlaueh... why did they have to reduce video quality to get the rotated video / timestamp??? :think:

But I think that is only a problem for the older V01 camera? Maybe it won't affect the newer V02 camera?

17. Chai

All these 'programmers' are not as well paid as the GoPro, so expect to do some self troubleshooting sometimes. After all, they cost only RM300 which is just a quarter of a GoPro.

You need to find the best firmware on your own. Newest is not necessary the best.

18. Adrian Wong

Well, just as long as it doesn't get bricked! :haha:

19. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Just wondering, how do you join mov files? Windows Live Movie Maker? :think:

20. Adrian Wong

I think there are a few free video editors that allow you to join QuickTime (MOV) files, like WonderShare?