Why buy Intel's Broadwell chip, with Skylake waiting in the wings?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by belikethat, Dec 29, 2014.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Thought i share this, Wanted to buy a performance laptop,

Why buy Intel's Broadwell chip, with Skylake waiting in the wings? | PCWorld

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The problem is Intel may delay releasing Skylake like they did with Broadwell, and just do a Broadwell Refresh.

In any case, I think the GST implementation in April 2015 will spur upgrade interest for those who have 3-4 year old PCs and laptops.

3. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

U mean hardware price will 'increase' so people will upgrade it ?

4. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the impending GST in April will cause a surge of buying from January to March 2015.

The 6% will mean a RM 180 hike in prices for a RM 3,000 computer.

5. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

For Malaysia, currently we dont have tax on IT hardware/software
    Coming 1st April, both hardware & software will incur the GST tax 6% ?

6. Adrian Wong

From what I understand, yes, they will all be taxed. Even broadband and Internet access services.

7. Adrian Wong

The disappointing slew of dual-core processors probably means Intel is still having trouble with their yield. If I'm not mistaken, they are only going to release the quad-cores in mid-2015.

I was planning to upgrade my Windows laptop to Broadwell but upgrading to Broadwell now would mean a downgrade from a quad-core processor to a dual-core processor. So I will probably skip Broadwell unless I get an Ultrabook or a MacBook Pro... :think:

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

There will always be something better around the corner.

Just buy what you need and stop comparing... hehehe.

9. Adrian Wong

How to buy lah... they didn't release the quad-cores... :wall:

See how... I may not replace my main laptop / desktop replacement but it would be great to replace my current MacBook Pro with something I can take with me on-the-go.

See if Apple refreshes the MacBook Pro with the Broadwell. See if Microsoft refreshes the Surface 3 Pro with the Broadwell. Hahaha...

10. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Skylake this year ?? :nuts: :haha:

Intel Skylake-S Platform Specifications Detailed - Z170 "100-Series" Chipset To Replace Z97 in 2H 2015

11. Adrian Wong

12. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

13. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. For most of us here in Malaysia, I don't think it matters anymore if Intel is releasing Skylake in Q3 or Q4.

If we want to save on GST, then we have to get Broadwell dual-cores and forget about quad-cores.

If we want Skylake, well... worst case scenario - wait until the end of the year. We will just pay a little extra in GST... :(

14. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

I read a somewhere, Skylake reported to be delayed :wall:
    like you said, doesnt matter for us. oh well

15. Adrian Wong

Intel's 14 nm yields must be abysmally bad... or there's a lack of competition from AMD... :wall:

16. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

17. Adrian Wong

I suspect it will be slowed down. There's really no need for them to push Skylake out faster. There's just no competition... :(

18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Even if they release early, you won't be getting much performance gain anyway...

19. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

20. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. 15W Skylake CPUs with Iris 6100? NICE! :thumb:

Not sure what they mean by "explaining certain versions of the Skylake processor will be capable of handling super sharp Intel Iris 6100 graphics." though...

Are they saying that the lower-end HD Graphics are "less sharp"? :haha: