Car DVR Dashcam

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Dashken, May 31, 2014.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Naisss... what model is it? :mrgreen:

I think dashcams are going to promote safer driving once it becomes common. Who wants to get caught being an idiot on YouTube? :haha:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Nice... B40/A118? Quality pretty good too. :D :thumb:

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Yup, the B40/A118.

Kind of?

Bought a 12V to mini-usb adapter.
    Amazon.com: DROKĀ® 5 Pin Mini USB Connectors Adapter 8-20V 12V to 5V/3A Power Converter Buck Module: Electronics

Crimp some printer port pins to the end to tap the auto-dimming mirror. Need to find better crimp pins that are flat though.

Hide the wires and power adapter in the sunglass/map light area.

6. Adrian Wong

Hmm... The B40/A118 looks very discreet... Maybe I should opt for this, instead of the one-leg-kick-all SJ4000... :think:

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I've been telling you the same thing for a very long time. Why don't you believe me? :doh:

Or else I wouldn't have bought two of them. :haha: :haha: :haha:

8. Chai

Yeah, it's not a good idea to use SJ4000 for anything other than action camera.

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Although Mobius is more discreet but B40 has a screen. Just so you know it's running and the date, etc are still correct, important for adjustment too. :thumb:

10. Adrian Wong

It's not I don't believe you... I was hoping to use it both as an action camera AND a dashcam... :haha: :haha:

Yeah, I'm a cheapskate... :mrgreen:

You got your B40/A118 from FoxOffers?

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

13. Chai

You would know if Mobius is running because of the LED. but as for the date and time, yes, that may be a problem. But date and time is not important at all because it will not help in the investigation. Anyone can just post edit it if they wanted to.

As a DVR, I still don't think Mobius is suitable. It is perfect if space is a constrain.

14. Adrian Wong

Isn't the capacitor version better? It's just a bit more expensive at US$ 75... :think:

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

With the capacitor version, not sure if the date/time will stick, settings should remain. That's why I didn't get the G1W-C when it came out and opt for the A118 instead. :D

16. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

The supercapacitor can "bleed" energy much faster than an ordinary battery, but can sustain many recharge/discharge cycles. If the thing is plugged in frequently, it has not much issues about the battery life. However, if it's not used for a short period of time, like a few days, you'll have to recharge it again. The recharging speed is much faster compared to the battery.

Is there a reason to choose a supercapacitor version? Supercapacitors are currently in a development phase, and they are not a full substitutes for batteries. Be warned that the energy stored in capacitors are very, very small compared to a normal battery. :whistle:

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Besides the longer lifespan and batteries die faster under hot weather, not much. :D

18. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the need to keep setting the date is a big turn-off... :think:

I just sprang for the A118/B40, as recommended by Dashken... the battery version, of course! :D

19. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Supercapacitors doesn't last much longer compared to a normal battery. However, things can change, especially on the material technology nowadays. :thumb:

On my desk I have a 100 Farads (not microFarads) supercapacitor, and with two of these it can power a toy motor for a few minutes! But the size of the capacitor is pretty big! (6cm tall) :faint: I believe that device can be powered for hours before asking for a quick charge again.

Need to check this dashcam with supercaps out too - maybe I can change the capacitors inside! :thumb:

20. Chai

Most likely you can change the capacitor, but the problem is fitting it inside. :mrgreen: Space is always a constrain in such small devices.