What's the best WiFi-N router to get today?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Adrian Wong, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Not yet. However, the WRT-320N only has a minor update, so I didn't try it out yet.

Anyway, retested the throughput with a different set of cables (for both the modem and the WD TV Live Hub), with the same results. So it's not the cable.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

3. Adrian Wong

4. Chai

It's new in MY market. I was told that MY is a very small market, that's why there's very limited Linksys models here.

5. Adrian Wong

Sigh... We are always such a small market. :(

Anyway, the E-2000 is virtually a rebadged WRT-320N, so I'm really glad I didn't bother to wait for it. :haha:

6. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

So my old Dlink DIR-615 from TM finally bit the dust.

Currently relying on an Aztech WL889RT4 that I have been using as a bridge, as the substitute router but it sucks. Constantly stops responding when the load gets too much.

I'm planning to get a replacement this weekend. I don't need wifi -- already using another Belkin router for that -- so all I need is a reliable 5-port router with Unifi support and easy VLAN setup.

Considering the age of the original thread, I suppose most of the models mentioned here are already obsolete -- so what's new right now that's good?

7. Chai

I'm using Asus rt66. Most Asus routers should work with unifi out of the box. They have wide range of models from affordable to cut throat prices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. Adrian Wong

Are you using Unifi or Streamyx?

AFAIK, the "gold standard" seems to be the ASUS RT-N66U, but it only has 4 LAN ports. In fact, I think most routers only provide 4 LAN ports... :think:

I know you have a Belkin WiFi router but I think it would be better to get a good WiFi router and then add a 4-port switch for extra LAN ports.

You probably do not require two WiFi routers... and all of the good routers come with built-in WiFi AP...

9. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

For Unifi, of course.

Only reason I'm using the Belkin is because during that time with the DIR-615, it had weaker wifi and no Gigabit LAN. Since it's still alive and kicking, might as well keep on using it.

The Asus RT-N66U looks nice... how easy is it to setup the VLAN for the IPTV box?

10. Adrian Wong

It was what I was planning to replace the Maxis router with but since their latest v3 router seems to be running fine, I'm holding off for now.

However, I'm not really sure if VLAN is easy to setup, but AFAIK, since it's what many Unifi users are using it... heck, ASUS even advertises it as a Unifi router replacement, I suppose it should be easy to setup.

11. Chai

It is so easy to configure. Just a drop down list to select unifi, and it works exactly like the original router.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

12. Adrian Wong

Any idea if it's "Maxis FTTH" compatible? :mrgreen: