Laptop keeps turning off by itself

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by panthera74, Jul 4, 2015.

1. panthera74

panthera74 Newbie

My laptop suddenly turns off after startup... even after repeated tries.:confused:

At this point, I am hoping for a prognosis first. I am very sceptical of sending the laptop for repairs due to sensitive materials :wall:

Mine is an Acer Aspire 4736 running on Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 Processor

Any advice, anyone?:pray:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Did you try unplugging your battery? If it's still the same, I think it's time to buy a new laptop.

3. panthera74

panthera74 Newbie

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I did... I turn on, it boots up, then suddenly goes off!

If this laptop is no longer usable, is there anyway I can retrieve my data?

thanks

:cry:

4. Chai

You can remove the hard drive from the laptop. Usually held just by a few screws. Then you need to get a usb hard disk enclosure and install the hard disk from your laptop.

5. panthera74

panthera74 Newbie

Alright thanks...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

RIP Laptop... :boohoo:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, while you are opening it up to retrieve the HDD, you might want to check out the fan. If you are technically savvy enough to remove the heatsink fan assembly, you can try cleaning it out.

It is possible for cooler to be blocked, or the fan to die, causing the CPU to overheat to the point it initiates a thermal shutdown to protect it from damage.

7. Chai

It is unlikely to happen so fast. Processor will take awhile to heat up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. Adrian Wong

You are correct. The CPU should take some time to heat up, and generally will throttle itself (it will feel super slow) instead of shutting down.

But I thought it's worth checking it out anyway.

9. ARDahari

ARDahari Newbie

My 5 yr old SONY VAIO laptop is now doing the same thing. When I am working it sometimes just shuts down by itself. Switching it on again after a few minutes it will shut down again. Sometimes its ok. Brought it to Low Yatt for repair the other day, the Bangla guy changed one small component but the problem didnt go away. I am suspecting its the cooling fan. Will have to check it out. anyway now its got worse after coming back from the shop. The shift key now doesn't work. What can I do?

10. Adrian Wong

Well, you might want to check your CPU temperature using HWMonitor from CPUID.

If it's very high even when it idles, the CPU fan is either clogged up or dead.

Usually, I will take mine out for a good cleaning every 2 years or so. But even that's only because it's mostly in a clean, air-conditioned room.

I just cleaned mine recently, and it's clogged with dirt, causing the CPU to throttle itself like crazy while overheating.

11. Chai

Don't think it's CPU overheating, can't be this fast. Usually it will last until boring into Windows.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

12. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

You probably need a new capacitor.

A lot of laptops from the Core 2 generation came with NEC tokin capacitors.

They tend to fail.

I replaced those caps on my friend's Toshiba Core 2 Duo laptop.

Symptoms are instant power off regardless of temperature.

13. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

A quick google shows that your laptop is equiped with the infamous NEC tokin, those do fail. I replaced those on my friend's laptop like the pose right above this one.

14. Adrian Wong

:thumb: :thumb: