Is it a bad idea using tv as monitor?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by PowerSlide, Jan 2, 2016.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

kinda bored with my 23inch dell so i'm thinking getting something bigger but looking at monitor prices now..wow!!! the price is crazy expensive especially dell monitors

so now i'm thinking 40inch 1080p tv, saw samsung LG or even sony in around RM1.2K to 1.5K which is not too bad

now the thing i know i must sit further away and read more some tv have bad input lag. i dont do much gaming but more on youtube surfing internet kinda thing

so it's a good idea or bad idea?

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I should try it again to find out why I don't use it anymore. I think it's only nice to watch video but not do anything productive in it.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It is not a bad idea. Depends how you use your monitor or TV. Distance between yourself and the screen is the most important factor.

4. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

sitting distance is important, i don't know how i can adjust further away since my room is kinda small and i still need the space for the task of sleeping

i have a look y'day at Aeon, samsung sony lg 40inch all around 1.2k to 1.5k and the cheapest is this hisense brand at RM900+..look kinda small there beside 50inch but a different matter when in my room

i also thinking of a 27inch 1440p but i only found it available only on dell ultrasharp model and these cost a ton of money, the rest 27inch still comes in 1080p

5. Chai

If you have limited space, then getting 21-24" should be considered. Don't worry too much about resolution, unless you are using Mac.

6. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

if i want i can make it work though, might look stupid using a big tv but watching movie gonna be awesome

or i can buy another 24inch make it into dual display which is awesome as well

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The reason why HDTVs are much cheaper than monitors is because they all have the same 1920 x 1080 resolution even if they're 70" in size. Expensive monitors generally offer much higher resolutions, although that is not necessarily the case. They may be more expensive because they use better panels with better colour gamut.

I would go with a TV if the viewing distance can be adjusted far enough. If it's too close, the pixels are quite visible and the text appears blur. Take a look at this comparison of a 40" TV and 23" monitor in close proximity.

TV-monitor-size.jpg

I tried hooking up the computer to the TV but because of the relatively low resolution and large screen size, the text looks too big and blur. That's why I ended up using the 23" monitor on the right for work, and the 40" TV for well... TV. :D

8. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

thank you for the photo!

i'm kinda set my mind on TV now for watching movies which i mostly do but i haven't have a look yet at shops

now can i borrow your phone? :haha:

9. Chai

Were you trying to ask "can I borrow you?" instead?:haha:

10. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

ewwwwwwwwww

but i don't judge you if you are interested :haha:

i walk into senheng today andddddddd what the..mostly korean brand haha..samsung here lg there..its korean everywhere!!!

then i saw sony and i think i wana go back to sony..i'm done with koreans :mrgreen:

11. Chai

I was referring to the movie in the photo. :mrgreen:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

12. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

oh..i thought is you but but it's alright if you want to borrow someone from here..i understand :mrgreen:

enough of that nonsense..for my budget of RM1.4K i can buy a sony 40inch or dell U2515H..this is tough when i don't have moar money :haha:

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Spend some future money. Installments!!! :lol:

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow, the prices have dropped quite a lot if you can get a 40" Sony TV for RM 1.4K, especially with the depreciation of the ringgit...

15. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

bought sony R550C 40 inch on saturday..RM1399

using it 2 days and it's fine..great for media consumption

not the sharpest when reading text but that job goes to my 23inch dell

[​IMG]

16. Chai

Wow, similar to my current setup! :thumb: 24" Dell and a 32" Sony TV. :haha:

17. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

it's not similar, mine is "bigger" and "longer" :haha::thumb:

i played world of warship and it's fine even i'm sitting close to the tv, best improvement is watching movie..it don't have that awful ips glow like on my dell 23inch

18. Chai

Well, I was referring to a Dell monitor and a Sony TV.

19. Helen Marr

Helen Marr Newbie

We actually use our TV as a monitor and it works fine. But, you should also consider first whether a HDTV is okay to use on a PC. I think, there are factors to consider for that matter.