Firearms

Discussion in 'PsYkHoTiK' started by PsYkHoTiK, Dec 31, 2015.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Oh my god!

Not 'weapons' (since anything can be a 'weapon'). :)

A little bit of history. I've always been fascinated by firearms. These highly engineered complex 'machines' fascinate me to no end. But with that fascination, comes a lot of respect.

I draw parallels with my greatest passion: cars. :)
    (and after that, computers/all things tech)

This thread isn't really about the semantics of "should/shouldn't you own". It's more of a thread to discuss items that are either demonized or idolized itself (folks tend to be very binary on this topic). Or if you have no experience or knowledge on the subject but are curious to learn, ask away. :D

Perhaps firearms are legal where you live and are interested in acquiring one yourself. Perhaps it's illegal in your locale and you'd like to live vicariously through others who have it. With however much experience I have on this topic, I'd be more than happy to share with you guys.

I am by no means, an expert. But I do shoot regularly/frequently and it is a big hobby of mine. Happy to learn and share. Hopefully there are other gun owners here that can partake too.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

To get the ball rolling, here's one of my pistols:
    Scott Suleiman on Instagram: “New addition to the stable! #SIGSAUER #1911”

SIG SAUER 1911
    Similar pistol spec page here.

quick specs:
    - 5 inch barrel
    - 8+1 capacity (.45 ACP) (8+1 means magazine has 8 shot capacity and the "+1" means that a round is chambered)

Originally, it came with a Crimson Trace laser grip (seen on my instagram pic above). This was the first firearm that I shot with a laser grip... And I found it very hokey... :lol:

So I took it off and installed some G10 grips from VZ Grips:
    [​IMG]

This 1911 differs somewhat from the original M1911 that John Browning designed over 100 years ago.

Most notably, is the external extractor:
    [​IMG]

Some purists do not like this, but I'm indifferent. :)

It is great for concealed carry (due to its slim profile - 'single stack' magazine). Though if I had to 'redo' it, I would get the 'commander' sized one that has a shorter barrel (4 inches vs 5 inches on the full size).

This 1911 is based off of the 'Series 80' 1911 with an internal firing pin safety (not on the original design).

When I get home, I'll take some more detailed breakdown pics (and a video I promised @ZuePhok )

In all, it's a great firearm. The trigger is just awesome (not as light/crisp as revolvers - but the next best thing). Slime profile. The only downside is that it does have a metal frame which means it is heavier than the new polymer frame pistols.

It is very accurate:
    Scott Suleiman on Instagram: “Making neat holes with my #EDC #SIGSAUER #1911 #45ACP #RangeDay”

Shots above taken from 10 yards/9 meters.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I did a tear down instruction on another forum so reposting here:

First, clear the pistol (cycle repeatedly, check with eyes and finger):
    [​IMG]

After that, release slide back forward, and pop the safety on. Press down on the guide plug and rotate the barrel bushing clockwise (keep pressure with your thumb or it might come flying out)
    [​IMG]

Release safety, remove spring and move slide back until half circle is where the slide release is:
    [​IMG]

From the other side, pop out the slide release:
    [​IMG]

Move whole slide forward and off of the frame:
    [​IMG]

Go back to the muzzle and rotate barrel bushing counter clockwise (4 o clock) and remove barrel bushing:
    [​IMG]

Scrub and clean as needed (inside barrel and chamber, rails, etc - I use MPro7 cleaning and lube).

Reassembly is kinda the reverse.

Insert barrel from the muzzle, insert barrel bushing and rotate clockwise. Place recoil spring guide like below and I thread the spring in to hold everything together:
    [​IMG]

Slide into frame upside down:
    [​IMG]

Watch out for this little arm that might stop the slide from moving back. Make sure it's pushed down:
    [​IMG]

Line up the half circle to the slide release indent. Note to keep the barrel link end (looks like a loop hanging beneath the chamber) aligned with the opening for slide release:
    [​IMG]

Now put the slide release on, position it properly, and the pop it in (this prevents you from scratching the frame with it):
    [​IMG]

Move the slide forward, lock it with the safety:
    [​IMG]

Insert the guide plug, press down and rotate the barrel bushing to lock it in place:
    [​IMG]

Cycle it a few times to test and you're good to go!

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

@ZuePhok Here's how to disassemble a 1911:

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

In comparison, here's how a more modern pistol is field stripped and reassembled:

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Some more pics of my new rifle.

[​IMG]

The barrel is fully floating (which means nothing is touching it apart from the mounting point). This is preferred due to its impact on accuracy (barrel can expand and contract as needed from temperature change - among others).

Above the barrel, just below the top rail, you can also see the gas piston. The SIG MCX is a shot stroke gas piston operated rifle (which is a departure from the AR-15/M-16/M4 rifles that is gas operated - direct impingement). (Further reading here)

[​IMG]

I'm a bit of a trigger snob. While the stock trigger was very crisp, it was also immensely heavy! I'd say close to a 10lb pull. I replaced it with one of the best names in aftermarket triggers: Geissele. I now have a two stage trigger with a combined pull of under 4lbs.

A lighter trigger helps accuracy (since you don't have to use hulk strength to make the trigger to break). But too light isn't very safe (commonly known as a 'hair trigger'). If it's too light, you might cook off a round when you're only just wanting to stage your finger on the trigger.

I will be writing more on TechARP on the technical side of these wonderful examples of engineering marvels. But for now, I need sleep... :p

Sent from my Fruit Phone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Here's a comparison of the ammo that I stock:
    [​IMG]

From left to right:
    .22LR
    9x19mm Luger/Parabellum
    .45ACP FMJ (Full Metal Jacket)
    .45ACP JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point)
    5.56x45mm NATO
    7.62x39mm (the 'AK' round - steel cased)
    .308 Winchester 'Soft Tip' (hunting round, expands/mushrooms on contact)
    7.62x51mm NATO FMJ
    2 3/4 inch 12 gauge 00 Buck shotgun shell
    3 inch 12 gauge shotgun shell ('bird shot' - this is my turkey shotgun shells)

Now .22LR and 5.56 NATO/.223 has around the same diameter projectile:
    [​IMG]

However, .22LR is rimfire, whereas 5.56 NATO is centerfire.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Fruit Phone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  8. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Do you normally keep the empty bullet casings after you discharged the weapons? Some people did keep them for various reasons unknown. :think:

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I have actually recently started keeping some of the empty brass casings. Only for certain calibers though.

The reason folks hold on to their brass is for reloading. :) That way, they just need to stock up on the actual projectiles/bullets, powder, and the primer. It's a process in and of itself (cleaning, resizing/trimming, replacing primer, coating inside of case, powder charge, seating the projectile, and perhaps crimping). I do not currently have a reloading setup (takes space), but I do want to start reloading at some point, so for now, saving and sorting all of the brass. :)

It definitely makes sense for some of the bigger calibers (7.62 NATO, .45 ACP, and the longer range cartridges) but it probably doesn't make sense for some of the smaller/cheaper ones. At least from a monetary perspective. Competitors will reload since they can control the load/accuracy to their platform vs something off the shelf.

Long answer, but let me know if you have any more questions! :D

10. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Ah! So it's to put the "fuel" inside the bullets? I know the slugs are not recycleable (and I don't think people keep slugs either - they are all damaged after it got embedded into the surface), but they have supplies for the tiniest part of a bullet? If that's so, that's actually something new I learn!

In here, I do not see much firearms magazine. Long time ago in Selayang Mall, they have stocked a bit on those, but much later, these things are not available anymore.

Many in my place thinks that "interest in firearms" are for "psychotic and mentally unstable" people, especially for the people from the older generation. It's a long running stigma, and these have been driven into our tiny minds for many, many years. Like my parents, I do not talk about firearms in front of them for the fear that "I will hurt people with it". This is definitely strange, but true! :faint:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yes, it's mainly to contain the powder charge and have the actual bullet/projectile at the very front. If you have around 45 mins to spare, the below is a GREAT (and entertaining) video on ammunition:

Here's my good buddy (who's also from Malaysia) showing off his reloading setup and how to reload (he does it for competition - so it's both to save money on ammo and also build consistency):

Terminology is that the 'bullet' is the projectile (the pointy thing at the front). The 'whole' things which folks sometime calls 'bullets' is actually more accurately a 'cartridge'.

The Cartridge has four components:
    - Bullet/Projectile
    - Propellant (typically smokeless gunpowder)
    - Primer (what sets off the gunpowder)
    - Casing (usually brass - and also steel)

[​IMG]

In regards to the 'stigma' to firearms, I always say that education is the only cure for Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Simply put, firearms, like other machines, are tools. Neither good nor evil by itself. And I hope, by however little, sharing info can help replace FUD, with knowledge instead.

Please feel free to ask away at any questions/curiosities that you might have.

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Here's my brother shooting the MCX:

Me shooting in slow mo:

Trinity likes this.
  13. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I only shot with Glock once when I was at Krabi, and none of the shots have hit the target board.

I admitted defeat since then. :haha:

Trinity likes this.
  14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Haha! I can't shoot well with Glocks at all...

But I'm quite proficient with my pistols:
    Scott Suleiman on Instagram: “Making neat holes with my #EDC #SIGSAUER #1911 #45ACP #RangeDay”

Typically group well at 9 meters.

But with my rifle, I can shoot even tighter groups at over 90 meters:
    Scott Suleiman on Instagram: “Tightest 100 yard 3 shot group I've ever shot using my #FNH #SCAR17S using #hornady American Whitetail ammo. #762 #308”

(same targets used for both)

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

First outing with my SIG MCX at an indoor 25 yard range. I installed a Geissele SSA-E trigger as soon as I got home with it (after giving it a good cleaning) - along with a BCM KAG. Rifle now also wears the newer Surefire X300 Ultra (600 lumens and increased run time).

All shots were with M193 ball ammo (specifically, Igman M193).

First two shots from the rifle at the range (untouched Iron Sights - resting rifle on the shelf, me shooting from a kneeling position):
    [​IMG]

Setting up the irons at 25 (resting rifle on the shelf, me shooting from a kneeling position):
    [​IMG]

Here's a fruit phone slo-mo of me shooting (pardon the vertical video - the one taking the video apparently did not share my extreme dislike of vertical videos):

I also found out that I have been shooting the rifle at the "-" (suppressed) gas position lol. It cycles!

I then installed a Trijicon MRO and again went to an indoor 25 yard range and shot shoulder fired (unsupported without a sling - do excuse the flyer lol - for size reference, that's a standard letter sized paper target):
    [​IMG]

I did this ahead of hitting the 100 yard range. Unfortunately, the screws on the MRO's stock mount were super soft and I rounded one of the screw heads while checking torque (and was under the rating too... grr...). So I replaced it with an ADM QD mount and did my best to readjust it using the iron sights as best I could (full cowitness for the win!).

And hit the outdoor range again today (again, shooting M193 ball):
    [​IMG]

It was good enough to hit paper from the first shot. Walked it in from high and left (excuse the bigger holes group was via my FN SCAR 17S with magnified optic shooting ball ammo).

So I'm pretty happy with the results for a non magnified optic. I'm sure with more rounds, I'll build proficiency and the groups will shrink.

Pic of the rifle at the range:
    [​IMG]

All 100 yard shots were done with the handguard on the sandbag (the BCM KAG really shining) and unsupported in the rear (just my arms and elbows - no sleds or sandbags).

I'm will report back with American Eagle M193 and PPU M193 at some point if there's any difference (not really expecting there to be - plan on just sticking with M193 for this rifle).

16. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

When are you gonna get a rocket launcher?

Chai likes this.
  17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I have multiple!

(in video games lol)

Though, on a semi related note, a potato launcher would be kinda cool...

Chai likes this.
  18. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Yeah (in video games), I was just thinking about them because I've been playing quake 3 again lately.:mrgreen:

And because I saw an episode of myth-busters that featured a RPG launcher. I was quite surprised to see just how much faster they travel for real compared to the one in quake 3 arena.:o

PsYkHoTiK likes this.
  19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Haha!

Yeah, it's crazy. After my brother and I first saw a video of an actual RPG-7 being fired, it was amazing. You'd hear the shot, and then the explosion. We were thinking like, man (the movie) Blackhawk down was full of shit! hahaha! No way you could see the rocket hit the helicopter.

They boogie at ~377 feet per second.

RPG-7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I installed what's called a "Muzzle Brake" on the rifle. Specifically, one that is used to quick attach/detach a suppressor (that is pending the ATF process - so in 6-8 months).

There are two types of "Muzzle Devices", a Flash Hider (which was on the rifle from the factory), and a Muzzle Brake.

A flash hider does what the name implies. It arrests the flash signature to become much smaller. Without a flash hider, you would get a great big fire ball at the end of the muzzle, which in turn, would give away your position in combat situations (not that that would really apply to me). This is done via a number of ways/design. The standard AR/M4 Carbine flash hider is the "A2 Birdcage" which is the most common place. Another popular type is the 'three prong fork' design that the MCX comes with.

A Muzzle Brake on the other hand, redirects the gasses from the blast in a specified direction. The idea for this is that the vented gas will tame the felt recoil. As a result, there are many designs out there. Shooting competitors love this since they don't have to reacquire target as much (do to lack of muzzle flip). It is a godsend for the heavier recoiling rifles/cartridges as the shooter will experience a tremendous amount of felt recoil reduction. The drawback however, is that since it does redirect hot gasses + lead dust (usually to the sides - never the bottom because that would kick up dust and give away position and blind the shooter in the process), folks who are standing around or beside the shooter usually feels the concussive blast, and the hot gasses... I shot at an indoor range and after every shot, it felt like a gentle breeze was blowing into me (as the gasses hit the side of the shooting stalls). The increase in volume and pressure also made folks move away from me and those further from me would come and see what I was shooting out of curiosity.

The process was via using a big vise (that I still need to mount), a set of barrel vise clamps, and some rosin powder that I rubbed on (for added grip). After that, I used an armorer's wrench, and it came right off:
    [​IMG]

The SIG MCX comes with a 'tapered' muzzle (which you see it tapers into the barrel threads). However, most manufacturers are still using a 90 degree shoulder on their rifles. As such, SIG SAUER sent me a 'taper cap' (for free) to attach my muzzle brake on. A Flash Hider is non-directional. Meaning, you put it on, and tighten it up. A Muzzle Brake however, is directional. Meaning that when it's fully torqued down, it needs to be oriented a specific way. To do this, we 'time' the muzzle brake. Using metal shims that acts as a spacers, we adjust as needed so that when it's fully tightened down, it's oriented properly (in my case, side to side). However, to do this accurately, you need a 90 degree shoulder. Once I figure out the spacers needed, I back out the muzzle brake, add a drop of high temperature ceramic cement (up to 2015F/1100C!) as a thread locker on the threads and tighten the muzzle brake on until it is timed properly (using a small bubble leveler).

The result:
    [​IMG]

Here's the "before" video (stock flash hider):

And here is the "after" video (with muzzle brake):

Sound and flash has increased (flash looks like a bow tie), but the muzzle of the rifle barely moves. More importantly, the MCX was a very light shooting carbine to begin with, with the muzzle brake, felt recoil (to me) is negligible. Folks who are first time shooters would have no problem firing this (if they can get over the blast - and weight - it's considered a super light rifle but it's still 8.5 lbs / 3.86 kg). When I do get the suppressor for it, even more so. :)

Also, tested a GoPro mount that has my Hero 4 Black:

And here's a video on the suppressor that I'm waiting for my tax stamp: