PCI-e graphics card BIOS flashing

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by erico, Nov 7, 2007.

1. erico

erico Official BOG Supporter!

Hi,
    I have the gfx card and have been a bit curious for a while.
    What would be the advantage of flashing the BIOS of my EVGA 8600GT superclocked pci-e gfx card to the BIOS of an EVGA 8600GTS superclocked pci-e superclocked gfx card?

From the articles that I have read, the same GPU and architecture is used in both. The EVGA 8600GT Superclocked is stock clocked at 576/750.

I have read and posted questions in another forum about this and the answers that I got were not quite complete.

regards

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, you gain no advantage other than permanently locking in the higher clock speeds and timings of the GeForce 8600 GTS...

You can easily overclock by using nTune. Same thing really, only you have the option of going beyond the GeForce 8600 GTS clock speeds (if you are lucky!).. or overclocking less, if your GPU and memory chips cannot support the higher clock speeds.

My advice - overclock manually. :beer:

3. erico

erico Official BOG Supporter!

Yep

So..back to RivaTuner, I presume.

I thought that the BIOS unlock some features which might not be present in the 8600GT BIOS. My first thought and response to a post when I saw a discussion about the same thing was that it seemed a bit too Kamikaze operation to me. Even more risky than Overclock ops on a motherboard, which I am quite familiar with, to gain more MHZ through BIOS parameter manipulation (figuratively speaking).

:think:I will follow your advise. I didn't have much faith in the bozos that were discussing it on the other fprum.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

They are both very similar cards, except for the speed, which will most likely crash your 8600GT.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, that would be smarter IMHO. Flashing the BIOS in this case does not unlock any disabled stream processors or ROPs. In fact, it will not do anything that RivaTuner or nTune cannot do better or safer.