EVGA 8800GT 512mb vs EVGA 8800 320mb superclocked

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by silverchair, Nov 11, 2007.

1. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

Hi guys

right now im using the EVGA 8800GTS 320mb superclock, andi was thingking to move on 8800GT, well ist a right choice to upgrade to 8800GT?

I just want to know if other made benchies of these 2 graphic cards.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

3. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

somethin wrong with the link that you gave it to me. But anyways, in your opinion, would it be a good idea if you move it to 8800GT?

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It has to be the dumbest idea to move to 880GT from 8800GTS. Wait for the next gen. 8800GT is good for previous gen upgraders, but not good enough if are already using 8800GTS. It still can't play Crysis smoothly at high details.

5. Adrian Wong

This is the link - Tech ARP - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Graphics Card Review Rev. 3.0

Well, the GeForce 8800 GT is supposed to replace the GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB in the NVIDIA roadmap. But it won't be much of an upgrade.

Coming up soon (by end of the month?) is an upgrade for the GeForce 8800 GTS. It will be based on the same G92 (D8P) GPU as the GeForce 8800 GT but with more stream processors enabled. So, that would likely be the best upgrade for you.

6. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

thanks guys, its right, better to wait for the next one

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I thought it was supposed to use the old G80 and not the newer G92? but either way, it won't be much of an upgrade also. EVGA 8800GTS 640MB (w/112SPs) SSC Edition Review - Hardware Canucks

8. Chai

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

LOL I don't think that will happen. How are they going to sell GTX/Ultra if there is a GTS with more than 128SP :haha:

10. Chai

I thought the new G92 is supposed to replace GTX and Ultra? Next gen right?

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

According to rumours the new high end is going to be a dual G92 card like 7950GX2. So far I've never heard of any GTX/Ultra replacement (with a single G92 chippery like you said?), at least not yet :mrgreen:

12. Chai

No idea. I don't know what the new card is going to be. :D

13. Adrian Wong

If I'm not mistaken, there will be a replacement GeForce 8800 GTS based on the G92 (D8P) GPU with 128 shader processors. That's 1/3 more shader processors than the original GeForce 8800 GTS.

Let's say it runs at the same clock speed (600 MHz) as the GeForce 8800 GT. If so, it will have a fill rate of 38.4 GTexels/s. That's 60 % more fill rate than the original 8800 GTS. Will that be enticing enough for current 8800 GTS users? :think:

14. Chai

With only 128 SPs, it will only match 8800GTX, that's definitely not enticing enough, unless the clock speed is significantly higher, then again, it still won't handle Crysis well. What many people want is a new high end card! 9800GTX!

15. Adrian Wong

Don't forget that even the current 8800 GTS has slightly more ROPs and a wider memory bus (delivering more memory bandwidth at a lower clock speed) than the new 8800 GT.

I suspect the "upgraded" 8800 GTS will run at higher clock speeds to deliver a reasonable performance advantage over the 8800 GT.

16. Chai

Like I said, we want something faster than 8800Ultra! Not just 8800GT. I thought of buying 8800GT until I saw the performance on Crysis even with 8800 Ultra, not good enough.

17. Adrian Wong

Hehehe.. I'm sure they will have something faster out soon. But what I liked best about the new G92 is how cool and efficient it is.

For example, the GeForce 8800 GTX is still faster than the GeForce 8800 GT but it's also hotter, bulkier and less reliable. Honestly, I would take the GeForce 8800 GT over the GeForce 8800 GTX even if you ignore the difference in cost. :mrgreen:

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

you probably have to topup very little for the 8800gt, coming from a 8800gts.

faster, less power consumption, and most importantly, you get VP2! :thumb:
    switching from gts to gt isn't the dumbest. watching a graphics card sucking up 180w for doing nothing..is the dumbest.

GT gives u 8-10frames extra. meaning going from GTS to GT, u get to play lost planet and WIC at slightly above 30fps, full detail, 16x12. neat!

I dun think crysis is the benchmark this year. NV ruin it. the optimization makes the reflection looks like a piece of shit.
    COD4 is the one!!!!! KICK ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssss

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Top up very little? I don't think so.

Unless you sell the GTS at least around RM200 cheaper than GT, I doubt anyone would want it.

20. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. There will always be people who think that GTS is still faster because it has an extra S. :haha: :haha: