OCING A 8600GT?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by rachit2652, Oct 12, 2008.

1. rachit2652

rachit2652 Newbie

My friend wants to Overclock his MSI NX8600GT TD512-EZ (HEATPIPE EDITION) graphics card.I wanted to know what maximum speeds can he attain using stock cooler.His graphics card is fanless.Any help would be appreciated..

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That's really hard to say. There's no way to know for sure without testing it out himself. Just overclock in steps and downclock a little after he hits the limit.

3. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Make sure you have good airflow in your case though, since the card will get pretty hot if passively cooled :|

4. Spanner

Spanner Newbie

I would try mounting a fan somewhere to blow over the card to cool it down before overclocking, just my two cents anyway

5. nitroxxx

nitroxxx Newbie

The 8600gt overclocks well upto 100Mhz more than stock speeds for both gpu and memory depending on the card but it wont make much difference while gaming.

6. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, the GeForce 8600 is underpowered. For serious 3D gaming, you will need at least a GeForce 8800 series card or the newer 9600 GT or better.

8. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

after re-reading the first post - i noted TS mentioned it's a FANLESS card.

so it brought to mind the fanless 8600GT that I reviewed before, and it was DDR2 - so there I consulted uncle Google and it's confirmed that the MSI NX8600GT TD512 is a DDR2 variant. :(

with this, I conclude that this card is just not worth overclocking. It's crippled already to begin with and the time spent to overclock it is just not worth the gain.