Help on what's better to have...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Broly4416, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Broly4416

Broly4416 Newbie

Ok so im not great in knowledge of graphics cards but their is a game i need to play and am getting a cnew tower so i at minimum want this card in it. It suggests at least a "NVIDIA GeForce 8600VRAM 256mb or better" card. Now i found a desktop with a "NVIDIA GeForce G100 with 512mb of video memory". Now my question is is the g100 better or worse then a the 8600 series and would i be able to run the game on the g100 if i got that? Please bear with me as i am newer to this and basically in the dark. Any info would help, Thanks

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Broly, what game was it that you wanted to play?

You can check out the specs of any desktop graphics card you want @ Tech ARP - Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide Rev. 19.3

For mobile GPUs, check out Tech ARP - Mobile GPU Comparison Guide Rev. 9.0

FYI, there are a few NVIDIA GeForce 8600 models, but they are all about 2-3x faster than the NVIDIA GeForce G100.

Your best bet would be to get a GeForce 8800 GT or GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB, or any GeForce 9600 GT or GeForce 9800 card, if you cannot afford better...

3. Broly4416

Broly4416 Newbie

ok well the game im looking at playing is called "The last remnant" it wont let me post a link but the second you type it into google it comes up and then just hit pc and scroll to the bottom. And i had no idea when i looked at the specs on wiki (awesome resource i know lol) they seemed pretty close. Would the game still be playable if i left the card in? And for when i upgrade which it looks like im going to do now whats the best card you would suggest withing the $100-$200 range? Appreciate the help.

4. Adrian Wong

Damn... I hate these Flash sites. Take so long to load! :wall:

Okay, I'm finally in...

Okay, they are recommending an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 graphics card. If you get the G100, you are totally out of luck. Even their "MINIMUM" specs list a GeForce 8600 which is 2-3x faster than the G100.

If you ask me, I would scout around for a cheap, used GeForce 9800 GT or 9800 GTX. You would also do well with a GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB (not the 384MB/640MB model) or if you can't afford better, a GeForce 9600 GT.

5. Broly4416

Broly4416 Newbie

Ok, thanks alot i appreciate it im still deciding if it would be better for me to supe up a tower prebuilt or to make my own depends on money mostly but if u dont mind me asking what do u think would be the best card to get less then $250? and would it be better to go with a radeon or geforce? im doing research myself but i really appreciate all the anwsers alot helps a ton when your newer to this

6. Adrian Wong

At this point in time, I would recommend an ATI Radeon HD 5 series graphics card. You can get a nice Radeon HD 5770 for about $170. Check this list -> Ati radeon hd 5770 Computer Video Cards - Tech ARP - Where The Best In Technology Gather