Tech ARP Forums

Go Back   Tech ARP Forums > Others > Lounge
Register
FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Lounge Come in to the ARP lounge and chill out!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th Aug 2009, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Da Boss

Adrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do NOT Reboil Water Again & Again!!!

Danger! Danger! Do NOT Reboil Water Again & Again!!!

This is the e-mail I received today :

Quote:
Sin Chew's article on re-boiled water......spells danger!

See Attachment in Chinese media.

Translated version as follows:-

THIS IS NOT NEW DISCOVERY BUT MANY OF US JUST IGNORE IT ALL THE WHILE!

A pharmacist report from Singapore that warning people NEVER keep boiling your drinking water!!

Report Summary: TOP harmful chemical named (Toxic Nitrate) was produced in water when keep boiling it!! This harmful substance had been proved will increase the chances of intestines cancer and stomach cancer.

IF currently you like to use 'WATER DISPENSER with WARM / HOT WATER Functions' or 'Electric AUTO keep warm Thermos' for your convenience, STOP IT NOW otherwise you would suicide yourself slowly as well as your loved one!!

NOWADAY, there are so many drinking water company that OFFER FREE WATER DISPENSER when you order drinking water from them! THINK WISELY before you order!

YOU might get FREE water dispenser but in fact would be paid out your OWN HEALTH!!

PLEASE SEND THIS MESSAGE TO YOUR LOVED ONE, FAMILY MEMBERS, FRIENDS AND COLLEAGES to remind them keep away from water dispenser!
Of course, I think this is rubbish la... This is what I wrote :

Quote:
This is a badly-researched article. Water is H2O. Boiling it will not change its chemical composition. Neither will reboiling it.

What the Sin Chew reporter failed to check before publishing the report was the basis behind the purported report. Did the report even exist? And what exactly did the report say? This kind of reporting is really irresponsible.

If the report really states that reboiling water creates nitrates, then it’s bullshit. If reboiling water can create nitrates, then we can create GOLD from the reheating of lead.

Pure water, H2O, does not contain nitrates, NO3. Nitrates contain oxygen atoms like water molecules, but there is no way to conjure up the nitrogen (N) atoms from the hydrogen (H) atoms in water!

The only way for a source of water to contain nitrates is for it to be CONTAMINATED. It’s like finding dissolved lead in drinking water. If the water is contaminated by nitrates or lead, then of course, the concentration of the contaminant increases as you continue to boil the water and cause more pure water to evaporate.

Pure water will contain neither nitrates nor lead. Pure water is H2O. Of course, tap water isn’t pure water. Tap water will contain some amount of minerals and dissolved gases. Maybe this quote from Wikipedia will be more informative :

Quote:
Tap water may contain various types of natural but relatively harmless contaminants such as scaling agents like calcium carbonate in hard water and metal ions such as magnesium and iron, and odoriferous gases such as hydrogen sulfide. Local geological conditions affecting groundwater are determining factors of the presence of these substances in water.

Occasionally, there are health concerns regarding the leakage of dangerous biological or chemical contaminating agents into local water supplies when people are advised by public health officials not to drink the water, and stick to bottled water instead. An example is the recent discovery of potentially hazardous nitrates in the public water supply in Phoenix, Arizona
Note the last paragraph. See the point about the contamination of water supply? If you do not live in an area with contaminated water supply or if you do not use lead pipes, you should not have to worry about nitrates or lead. Okay, maybe I’m not some big-shot scientist. But I think this statement should assuage all fears about reboiling water. Do note that unlike the Sin Chew report which quotes no sources, this one does.

Quote:
Re-boiling clean uncontaminated drinking will water not cause cancer or any other health problems. However, boiling water contaminated with chemicals such as nitrates or toxic elements such as arsenic is a bad idea.

Ground water may contain nitrates, which are chemicals often found in fertilizer, and arsenic that may occur naturally or from farm or industrial waste. Nitrates, along with nitrites, are also found in processed meats.

Consuming water contaminated with nitrates can cause a blood disorder called methemoglobinemia and some research shows that nitrates in drinking water may be associated with some types of cancer. Exposure to arsenic may result in arsenic poisoning and increased risks of several types of cancer.

Nitrates and arsenic are not like bacteria, so boiling your water doesn't remove them. In fact, boiling water will actually increase the concentration. The more the water is boiled, the higher the concentration of these substances will be.

The levels of both nitrates and arsenic are regulated and water supplies must be monitored in towns and cities, so if your tap water comes from a city water source, it is safe. People who live in rural areas and have private wells must have their well water tested for nitrates and arsenic. If you have a private well and the levels of these contaminants are too high, you must install a water filtration system for your home.

Sources:
US Environmental Protection Agency. "" Consumer Factsheet on: Nitrates/Nitrites." National Primary Drinking Water Regulations. November 28th, 2006.
Centers for Disease Control. "Nitrate and Drinking Water from Private Wells." Drinking Water. Updated September 2003.
Yang CY, Cheng MF, Tsai SS, Hsieh YL. "Calcium, magnesium, and nitrate in drinking water and gastric cancer mortality." Jpn J Cancer Res. 1998 Feb;89(2):124-30.
Chiu HF, Tsai SS, Yang CY. "Nitrate in drinking water and risk of death from bladder cancer: an ecological case-control study in Taiwan." J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2007 Jun;70(12):1000-4.
De Roos AJ, Ward MH, Lynch CF, Cantor KP. "Nitrate in public water supplies and the risk of colon and rectum cancers." Epidemiology. 2003 Nov;14(6):640-9.
Centers for Disease Control. "Arsenic and Drinking Water from Private Wells." Drinking Water. Updated September 2003.
Ward MH, Cross AJ, Divan H, Kulldorff M, Nowell-Kadlubar S, Kadlubar FF, Sinha R. "Processed meat intake, CYP2A6 activity and risk of colorectal adenoma." Carcinogenesis. 2007 Jun;28(6):1210-6.
World Health Organization. "Arsenic in drinking water." Updated May 2001.
Adrian Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
SPONSOR
Old 9th Aug 2009, 04:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
zy
zynine.com

zy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond repute

just use, distilled water
Old | T7200 | 4GB DDR2 | GFGo7300 | 320GB HDD
zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2009, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Chai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zy View Post
just use, distilled water
Where are you going to find distilled water? Pharmacy?
Old 9th Aug 2009, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
zy
zynine.com

zy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond repute

supermarket dont sell them ?
Old 9th Aug 2009, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Admin nerd

PsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond reputePsYkHoTiK has a reputation beyond repute

I have a RO/DI setup...
Intel Core i7 920 SLBEJ @ 4GHz : 6x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 : Asus P6X58 Premium : WD Velociraptor 500GB x2 RAID 0 : WD Caviar Black 1TB : Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB flashed to 6970 : XFi Platinum : Silverstone OP650 : Silverstone TJ-07 : Swiftech Apogee XT : MCP655 : Thermochill PA120.3 w Scythe Ultra Kaze
CPU-Z: SLBEJ : SLAPL : SLA9U : FX-55 : DDR 600 : VX
www.techarp.com
PsYkHoTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2009, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official Mascot Creator

Falcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond reputeFalcone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai View Post
Where are you going to find distilled water? Pharmacy?
Next to where they put mineral water in the supermarket.

Flickr
Falcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2009, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hyperactive

The_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant futureThe_YongGrand has a brilliant future

It is true that water contains much pollutants nowadays. Mercury, ni-cad, heavy metals, poisonous biphenyls and weird stuff in there, we gotta not drink all of them for the sake of health and our next generations! Even lead, in parts per million, could make us go silly!

That's why my home has a filter in the compound (that simple one with wool-mesh filter) and a RO filter in my home kitchen.

Psykotik, is your RO/DI setup from the General Electric one? Because they seem to be in some homes in America nowadays.

The_YongGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2009, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
News Writer

ChampionLLY is a splendid one to beholdChampionLLY is a splendid one to beholdChampionLLY is a splendid one to beholdChampionLLY is a splendid one to beholdChampionLLY is a splendid one to beholdChampionLLY is a splendid one to beholdChampionLLY is a splendid one to behold

aiya, its just another silly chain-letter only the ignorant will believe...

| Pentium-M 740 | Kingston 1GB + Nanya 256MB | Seagate 120GB 5.4krpm | RADEON X700 64MB | 14" LCD
ChampionLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2009, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Da Boss

Adrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionLLY View Post
aiya, its just another silly chain-letter only the ignorant will believe...
LOL!! Trust me, many people believe that.
Adrian Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2009, 12:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
zy
zynine.com

i'm just using a simple brita filter ..