Scam Warnings - True or False?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Here are some warnings of scams being perpetrated out there. Not sure if they are true. You decide! :)

2. Adrian Wong

3. Adrian Wong

4. Adrian Wong

This one, I know for sure, is TRUE! :mad: :mad:

http://forums.techarp.com/adrian-wo...n-mohd-muslim-maybank-acc-151306687272-a.html

5. Adrian Wong

Here's a another one I received in my mailbox.

IMHO sounds like a good idea except :
    - It doesn't work if you live in a condo, or if your car is parked too far from your bedroom.
    - Car alarms go off so often that well, almost no one bothers if another goes off! :lol:
    - It would probably be better if you just called the cops! :lol:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It will make the burglar panic, even if it doesn't alert the neighbour.

7. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Regarding the first scam posted, most of it are inside jobs actually and I believe people don't really need to call to get he CVV numbers.

Just imagine at restaurants where the waiter takes your card to the cashier, the cashier/waitier surely will have time to take down all the card details if he/she has the intentions.

8. Adrian Wong

LOL! That brings me to this latest e-mail I received :

How true all this is, I don't know. :)

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

you will never know. shit happens.
    i prefer to use credit card rather then debit card so that things like this dont happen

my girlfriends debit card number was used. but luckily we are able to recover the fund. the person who used her card tried to buy air tickets all of them block but small transactions went through.

ps. i lost my card for 4 days before i reported it :p i know where i lost it.. restaurant.. lol

10. Adrian Wong

Oh yes, debit cards are definitely dangerous. Credit cards are safer.

I just never heard of the expired credit card switch, or the fact that you have to pay for the loss even though the bank did not call you up to confirm the purchase.

In my experience, very good banks like UOB actively track unusual purchases (overseas purchases, sudden large purchases) and call me up within 5 minutes to confirm. However, I do know that some local banks are very lax about this.

My sister-in-law had her credit card stolen from her house. She didn't find out about it until a few days later. The bank never called her about transactions by the thief even though it was SUPER suspicious.

For example, the thief made multiple petrol purchases within an hour in the SAME petrol station. Normally, the bank would lock your card or call you up if you make more than TWO purchases of petrol in a day. This bank never did.

Anyway, the bank refunded the loss as far as I knew, as the card was reported stolen.

11. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I put money less than RM100 in the debit card usually. I couldn't put too much inside - the risk could be high if it's lost.

12. zy

to think about it, we are unsure how was my girlfriend's debit card being used unathorizedly. her card is still with her. i don't know if maybe someone made a copy of it or something? besides, i think there was one withdrawal from a ATM machine. how did they get her code? :S

13. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Probably those unauthorized "card readers" attached on the slot, or those cameras peeping into the ATM booth. I could be wrong there.

There's the caution sign telling ATM users to stop using the machine if the slot is attached with something suspicious too.

14. Adrian Wong

They usually attach a card scanner at the ATM machine with a miniature camera to capture your keystrokes. They make the card scanner look like it's part of the ATM machine's card slot.

That's how they capture the card info and the code number. Then all they have to do is clone the card and use it to withdraw money from the ATM. She should have the bank replace the card and change her PIN number.

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I have a pretty good method of keying in the pin. I use my left hand to cover the keypad, and I used my right hand to cover the keypad partially, while keying in the pin without much finger movement.

16. Adrian Wong

Haha! Me too, although I use my wallet to provide cover. :D

17. zy

maybe its an inside job.. lol i do know HSBC daif they have a lot of this fraud problem ... lol HSBC in US sucks :p