Tech ARP Forums

Go Back   Tech ARP Forums > Others > Lounge
Register
FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Lounge Come in to the ARP lounge and chill out!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th Nov 2009, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Da Boss

Adrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond repute
Default True or False : Never Drive In The Rain With Cruise Control On!

Got this in the mailbox. Wonder if it's true....

Quote:
A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car.

A resident of Kilgore , Texas she was traveling between Gladewater & Kilgore. It was raining, though not excessively, when her car suddenly began to hydro-plane and literally flew through the air. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!

When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told her something that every driver should know:

NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON!!!

She thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain.

But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on when your car begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed making you take off like an airplane.

She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred.

The patrolman said this warning should be listed on the driver's seat sun-visor:

NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY, along with the airbag warning.

We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed, but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when the pavement is dry.

The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the patrolman), was a man who had had a
similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries.

NOTE: Some vehicles (like the Toyota Sienna Limited XLE) will not allow you to set the cruise control when the windshield wipers are on.
Adrian Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
SPONSOR
Old 10th Nov 2009, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
zy
zynine.com

zy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not surprised. Cruise control acceleration is harsh.

I'm guessing that the car does not have stability control or traction control.

I went to search around, apparently is it true.
Old | T7200 | 4GB DDR2 | GFGo7300 | 320GB HDD

Last edited by zy : 10th Nov 2009 at 11:16 PM.
zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2009, 06:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Chai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond reputeChai has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds logical to me.

But I don't have cruise control on my car. Nothing to worry.
Old 11th Nov 2009, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
zy
zynine.com

zy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond reputezy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai View Post
Sounds logical to me.

But I don't have cruise control on my car. Nothing to worry.
My car also no cruise control. Even if have, i won't use it. It is for puss*es
Old 11th Nov 2009, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Active

mikegas is a glorious beacon of lightmikegas is a glorious beacon of lightmikegas is a glorious beacon of lightmikegas is a glorious beacon of lightmikegas is a glorious beacon of lightmikegas is a glorious beacon of light

No cruise control here .. if got I would set it to cruise at 140 kmph
mikegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2009, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Da Boss

Adrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond reputeAdrian Wong has a reputation beyond repute

Haha.. Mine has no cruise control either. Fortunately, it has traction control. If given a choice between the two, I would take traction control any day.
Old 12th Nov 2009, 01:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Active

jamotto is a glorious beacon of lightjamotto is a glorious beacon of lightjamotto is a glorious beacon of lightjamotto is a glorious beacon of lightjamotto is a glorious beacon of lightjamotto is a glorious beacon of light

True and false, the cruise control will actually try to slow the car as wheel spin causes the car to think it is going faster than it really is.

It is not a good idea to use cruise control in those conditions as it is a time when you need complete control over the throttle.
jamotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2009, 03:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
zy
zynine.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamotto View Post
True and false, the cruise control will actually try to slow the car as wheel spin causes the car to think it is going faster than it really is.
Hmm. Good question. But if the car does not have stability control, cruise control can only slow down the car by letting go the throttle (or engine braking for manual).

If the car have stability control, maybe it can control the brakes?

I don't know how cruise control works on modern cars

Another point is where the cruise control gets it speed input. Most of the get it from the drive shaft.

So let me think again, for a standard car with cruise control, no traction control, no stability control, no LSD.

If one wheel hits the puddle, while the cruise control is still maintaining the speed, that wheel will spin faster than the other wheel because there is less friction and no LSD. then when it regains traction that wheel causes the car to loose control because of the speed difference.
Old 13th Nov 2009, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Da Boss

Will there actually be a sensor to detect the speed difference in a single wheel???

Or does cruise control actually use the average speed of all four wheels, or just the powered wheels?
Old 13th Nov 2009, 12:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Active

jamotto is a glorious beacon of lightjamotto is a glorious beacon of lightjamotto is a glorious beacon of lightjamotto is a glorious beacon of lightjamotto is a glorious beacon of lightjamotto is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by zy View Post
Another point is where the cruise control gets it speed input. Most of the get it from the drive shaft.
True most cars get thier speed input from the speed sensor that is in the transmission, however my car also has ABS which requires a speed sensor in each wheel for 4 wheel ABS each of these have a wire that runs back to the Cruise Control.

Quote:
So let me think again, for a standard car with cruise control, no traction control, no stability control, no LSD.

If one wheel hits the puddle, while the cruise control is still maintaining the speed, that wheel will spin faster than the other wheel because there is less friction and no LSD. then when it regains traction that wheel causes the car to loose control because of the speed difference.
Should cause a spinout, yes.
jamotto is offline   Reply With Quote