Astro HD has arrived

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by karhoe, Dec 11, 2009.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Astro B.yond HD prices announced - RM20 a month only on top of current package for existing subscribers - free dish, decoder.

starintech (starintech) on Twitter

http://mmail.com.my/content/21650-astro-byond-launched

Good news or bad news?

More details

Astro :: Making Your Life Richer

It's RM20 additional for access to ALL HD CHANNELS !!!

FAQ

It's digital output ! with Dolby !

Subscribe here
    Astro :: Making Your Life Richer

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If only they have F1 in HD. The coverage is already HD ready 10 years ago. Too bad Star Sports is incompetent.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, perhaps they will show it under SuperSports?

StarSports is under ESPN right?

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

No sound system, and still using CRT TV :p

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sounds like a swell deal IF they keep the premium at RM 20 and do not increase it when they add more HD channels.

Knowing Astro, that is precisely what they will do...

Back in India, I was paying only RM 15 (USD 4.50) a month for cable TV, and I had access to all the major channels - news, movies, sports, etc. No need to pay for "special" packages like over here. :roll:

6. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

i say no worth the money

btw did any1 notice CSI serious in AXN, they are pretty clear compare to the other programe ?

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I'm not sure if they are any clearer than other programs. I'm still on standard definition TV... and it's CRT to boot! :haha:

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

The thing with HD is that you'll never want to watch SD ever again... :lol: The only non-HD channels I still watch is G4 TV and Travel Channel (No Reservations - big fan of Tony Bourdain).

9. Chai

It is not worth the money if you don't watch it. Free decoder and dish upgrade, and you only need to pay extra RM20. If I do watch those channels, I would definitely upgrade.

ESPN and StarSports are both completely different channels, and it seems like they are only catering for football fans.

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Football fans! :wave:

HD or no HD doesn't matter to me. My LCD tv is not even full-HD. :D Aiya... cincai la, can watch ok already. :mrgreen:

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Can watch in widescreen, see more, get to see that Player A is nearby to Player B and Player A is likely to pass the ball to Player B !

Instead of seeing Player B kicking the ball to one corner, and wait for the camera to roll over to realize that it's being passed to Player A

That's the beauty of 16:9

12. Chai

You are so wrong. Most LCD TV are at least HD capable (720p or 1080i). You should see the benefit. Most of these sport programs are already HD (widescreen) capable. If I watch football, definitely worth considering.

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Har? I don't even know if it matters to me or not?? :faint:

Problem (or good thing) is I don't care much... as long as Arsenal wins, can already. :mrgreen:

14. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

damn right! :thumb:

15. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

LOL, might as well don't watch Astro, read about it in newspaper

16. Chai

Haha, so true. :haha:

17. Adrian Wong

I've seen Astro (SD) on LCD TVs and it looks BAD even on the "HD-ready" 1366x720 panels. Everything looks stretched and blur.

IMHO, if you have an LCD TV, you should consider migrating to HD. It's a matter of time before you do it anyway, so better earlier than later. Like Agent Smith likes to say - it's inevitable. :haha:

Even on HD-ready panels, the extra resolution will make a LOT of difference in the image quality... and let's not forget that it will allow you to use the panel's natural aspect ratio, instead of stretching the image to obscene proportions.

Maybe that's why Astro is only charging RM 20 for the upgrade (for now!). Once you try it, you cannot go back. :D

18. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Maybe they realized that TM is a serious threat, and decided to kill the competition early, and fast

19. Chai

In fact, it will look better than HD panels because that's the native resolution.

And thanks for reminding! Don't switch to HD just yet! Definitely can't go back. I just watched Dark Knight BD. Damn it was good!

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You can never go back to SD... :p