Japan Earthquake and tsunami......

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Falcone, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2011
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm supposed to go Japan next month :(

Big part of Japan is covered with mud now!

3. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

estimated 100 billion losses. omg

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The monetary cost is the least of the problem, I think...

So many people lost their lives, and there will be more in days to come (unfortunately). So many more were injured...

The thing is if it was just the quake, there wouldn't have been so many people dead or injured. The tsunami really wreaked a lot of havoc.

Plus the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant is still in crisis. Hopefully they will successfully cool it down.

5. Chai

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Let's pray Japan will be safe and okay! :pray:

7. Adrian Wong

Some idiot started sending out this fake SMS to everyone today :

Posted my rebuttal @ http://forums.techarp.com/adrian-wong/26376-explosion-nuclear-power-plant-fukumi-japan.html

Idiots. They have nothing better to do. Worse of all, so many people have been forwarding it on Twitter and FB. :nuts:

8. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

same as those here who spread news tsunami maybe hit penang :nuts:

this is one really big disaster, seeing the video and photo how scary things are

9. Chai

I saw this comment on facebook, it is so funny, and yet so disgraceful.

10. colomboiob

colomboiob Newbie

so sad, but the most terrible thing is the nuclear disaster.

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Not Prophet of Doom but real Red Alert : Total meltdown seen in Japan

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

13. Adrian Wong

Okay, now that is a load of crock. The writer is trying to make it sound as if those fuel rods will explode. No, they won't. Even if they are brand new Uranium-235 fuel rods, or the more volatile MOX fuel rods, they won't explode like a nuclear bomb.

A meltdown is bad enough. As I understand it, the fuel will melt through the shields and into the concrete containment below. If that concrete containment holds, then the effect of the meltdown would be limited. The real danger is if that containment fails and the molten mix of radioactive materials will contaminate the surrounding soil and water.

But even if that happens, it would be restricted to that part of Japan. They may have to isolate the surrounding 30-50 km or so, but it's not a worldwide catastrophe. Look at Chernobyl today. You can actually visit Chernobyl on supervised tours!

Whoever wrote that is an IDIOT and you can quote me.

14. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I think most of us would be panicking and running for the hills by now. The Japanese are so calm and collected, considering the amount of damage caused by the earthquake and tsunami...