Torvalds On Where Linux Is Headed In 2008

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Interesting read and have Ubuntu 7.10 running nicely as a second OS here driver and software support still a weakness with Linux as MS rules the monopoly :shock:

Didn't see it on here but for anyone running Linux they do have Cat 7.11's for Linux out recently :)

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

having used ubuntu 7.10 at work, i ahve to say it's still far from being a mainstream OS..
    still, i really hope linux + MID, and later with moorestown, can take off. having vista on these gorgeous, useful devices is like askign a pig to fly..

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yup. Ubuntu is definitely far from being a mainstream OS. One big gripe I have with linux is programs installation... there is a serious need to have a standard packaging system for ALL the different flavours without needing me to go and compile the source codes each time there's a new version.

What bugs me even more is that when beta releases are available, it's always just in source codes and I would then need to go and compile and package the installation myself... Sheesh. Not every Linux user wants to be a compiler expert!

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The same reason I tried Ubuntu for 1 day and went back to Windows XP. :mrgreen: