Photoshop CS4 to Favor Vista for 64-Bit

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Actually I think this is a smart move by Adobe. We are approaching a time where quad core processors and 4G + of memory are pretty much becoming the norm. So why not use this extra power makes sense doesn't it ?

The only thing that concerns me about 64 bit Vista(Ultimate) is future support. One OS I have found over the years that reports the most frequent driver issues or lack of driver support. This isn't Linux or even MacOS X that title is held by XP64 so lets hope 64 bit Vista doesn't suffer the same fate ....

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It won't be norm so soon yet. I say another year, at least.

4. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

holy snaps! Photoshop is already at CS4! And I'm still at CS :D

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Using CS2 here still and loving it :mrgreen:

I think your right Chai but I think its a good idea to start working on compatability issues they may have not a bad idea overall by Adobe I think ;)

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think they are looking at the future. Eventually, everyone will start moving to 64-bit OS even if they do not really need to work with large files / datasets. With RAM so cheap... it's really a matter of time before we all migrate to 64-bit Vista just to make use of the extra RAM. :D

7. j.messeder

j.messeder Newbie

I have been searching for LCD Flat panel reviews from Photoshop/CS users with little success. I am particularly interested in the Dell E248WFP monitor. I will use it with CS3 for photography work, making large frameable prints, etc.
    I also am considering a Samsung 2253BW, which apparently has superseded the Samsung 226BW (the latter had been highly recommended to me, but seems no longer available).
    Before I put any money out, I'd like to find some people who have actually used either - or both - the E248WFP or the Samsung 2253BW for photo work.
    Budget is a bit limited right now, but these two monitors would fit. I know there are likely better monitors, but their higher prices rule them out, at least for now. My computer is an Inspiron 6000. I am a working journalist doing mostly print with still photography, and some video editing. A sideline is creating historical photo prints.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  8. Chai

If you do a lot of photography, you should consider higher end panel with S-IPS or SPVA based with 8 bit color, instead of 6 bit on TN panels.

9. j.messeder

j.messeder Newbie

I'm beginning to suspect that. I noticed Dashken has the Dell E248WFP 24" Widescreen listed at the bottom of his note, and come mentions of Photoshop, and the E248WFP recently was touted as a good deal and maybe he'd have some comments about the combination.
    $600 is a bit out of my price range right now, but all the glowing reviews on lesser-priced monitors seem to come from gamers and business users, whose needs are not the same as a budding digital artist who wants to see on the screen what will be seen on the print.
    I started noticing the 6-bit/8-bit difference and got wondering what I'm seeing on my Inspiron 6000 laptop, which is my only computer.

10. Chai

You saw Dashken's comment? I'm sure it's not from this thread!

11. Adrian Wong

If you are using a laptop, then it's almost certainly using a TN panel with 6-bit colour.

Honestly, an 8-bit S-IPS or S-PVA panel is a world of difference from a 6-bit TN panel for someone interested in working with graphics.

12. j.messeder

j.messeder Newbie

Top of this thread - "Photoshop CS4 to Favor Vista for 64-Bit"
    The post was about CS4 but at the bottom, in the sig area, was what I took to be his system specs, including "Dell E248WFP 24" Widescreen " so I was hoping someone who could talk about Photoshop and E248WFP in the same post might have some helpful comments.
    BTW, I have a Spyder2, and it's helped my laptop a lot. And I can afford up to about $350 right now. I think I mentioned I'm a journalist. I do mostly stills, some video, and -- mostly as a hobby -- artistic prints of historic sites. The laptop's working for me, but I really lust after a larger screen.

13. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I'm actually doing just that - using a laptop hooked up to a larger (20") LCD panel. And I can tell you that it does wonders for productivity! :thumb: :thumb:

I'm using a Dell UltraSharp 2007FP (not widescreen) monitor with a S-PVA panel. The higher 1600 x 1200 resolution and normal format is just great for editing photos, and the colour is so much better than my notebook's TN panel.

14. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Using CS3 & quite happy with it.Waiting for the release of CS4 so that i can try it on my Vista X64.Thanks for the news dashken. :)

15. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I'm using CS3 atm but there's not a lot of difference between CS2 imo. Although i'll be looking forward to CS4.

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

wow, i can see alot of rich guy here. these app aren't cheap u know :p

17. Chai

:haha: I like your comments. :p I was thinking the same too.

18. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Isn't there any step-up program by Adobe ? I've heard if you are using a legitimate copy of an Adobe product, you can get the upgraded/later version by paying a smaller amount of money compared to buying a full retail copy.Is that right ?

19. Chai

Owning an original Photoshop is an amazing feat, let alone upgrade everytime a new version comes out.

20. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

I have one of my uncle who have an original Photoshop CS2.I think, i need to borrow that from him to see how much Adobe asks me to pay for the CS4. ;)