HERE for Android is now available for all Android smartphones

Discussion in 'News' started by Adrian Wong, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

HERE for Android initially made an appearance on the Samsung Galaxy Apps Store, but even if you don’t have a Galaxy smartphone, you’ll still be able to enjoy the full benefits of HERE – simply download the app from HERE for Android beta | HERE.

[​IMG]

Since launching HERE for Android, we’ve had some brilliant feedback from smartphone owners, critics and websites. We’re also grateful for constructive criticism, helping us to make HERE for Android even better. We’re taking your comments seriously, and are already working on changes, fixes and additions.

Thanks to you, we’ve discovered that some ‘cache cleaner’ apps accidentally delete the navigation voices in the HERE app. We’re very close to a fix, which will be released in the next weeks, but in the meantime we’d ask you not to use such apps if you want to use voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation.

[​IMG]

Is my Android phone compatible?

We’re testing HERE for Android with as many devices as possible. The general rule for compatibility is a device with Android 4.1 (‘Jelly Bean’) or greater. However, if you want to get the best results, we recommend smartphones with 1GB of RAM or more and a screen size between four and six inches.

By ‘side-loading’ the app onto your Android smartphone, please be aware that the app will not automatically update if newer versions are available, so stay tuned to HERE Three Sixty for any updates.

[​IMG]

2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i read the entire post and I still don't understand what HERE for Android is for.

#FailSampaiTakBolehFail

if it's another mapping app, 10 bucks says it will become irrelevant in 6 months.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah lol. I have no idea what this app offers that waze is not offering

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

HERE maps has offline map support and public transportation maps in many cities. Probably not enough of an edge to get a foot in the door.

5. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

HERE Maps and HERE Drive+ and HERE City Lens are the default mapping apps for Nokia Lumia phones. I've been using HERE Drive+ for all my navigation needs in KL, Negeri Sembilan and Malacca and it has been very accurate and reliable. It stores offline maps (so you don't eat up bandwidth like Waze) and has voice navigation, combined with online data like traffic information.

I have no idea why they even put this statement their press release, lol. I'm probably 99% certain that they've stored their data in the wrong folder (e.g. ./cache instead of ./files).

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

HERE is actually a Nokia navigation app, like Waze. Its main advantage is its ability to download and use offline maps. That's one part where Waze is sorely lacking... :(

Earlier, they had some kind of exclusive agreement with Samsung for their Galaxy smartphones but now, I think the period of exclusivity is over. They are expected to have an iOS version eventually.