Intel Atom

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by ChampionLLY, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

2. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

more images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Wow powerful lil bugger isn't it :D

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Are these nifty little things be inside the embedded computers as well?

They should have put these in extremely small notebooks too. Makes a wonderful combination. :)

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

6. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

"the Silverthorne processor will be roughly as fast as the Intel Pentium M mobile processor"

"designed to deliver ultra-low power (sub-1W to 2W)"

Slap that processor in a laptop and, if the price is right, I'll take it!! :thumb:

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow, that's impressive! Can they fit that into a PDA? :haha:

8. werty316

werty316 Newbie

That is one small ship.

9. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

The article only mentioned that the processor would be used in Intel's lineup of Mini-ITX though :think:

But there was also mention of Mobile Internet Devices. Close enough to a PDA :D

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

menlow definitely cant do pda. moorestown will be the one you want. a further 10x reduction in idle power consumption. :thumb:

11. Adrian Wong

12. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

reading these makes me feels the world is moving fast :D

13. Brian

Brian Newbie

sorry for thread digging, but i found this:-

New Atom CPU marks Intel's baby steps into embedded world

Though I've to say I'm interested in cheaper Eee's.... :)

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

thing is, the line seperating PDA from MIDs will become hairline thin. the size and form factor of the former usually in the range between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches, while as for MIDs, the targeted screen size that Intel set is around 4-5 inches.

I was told in my interview with Gadi Singer, that moorestown will be a 2010 product, and MIDs CAN have voice so you can still make phone calls and so on but the primary use is for data.

15. Adrian Wong

Honestly, the Atom was never meant for smartphones...

16. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Have they make these small book-shaped computers which can just only surf internet? It'll be good for the people on the go, and also IM-ing will be even more convenient in the coffee shop with Wi-Fi access. :D

17. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah, that's what they are designed for. So we should see more of these netbooks out soon. :thumb:

18. almas

almas Newbie

wow is it nano technology?

19. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Still think Netbook is hard to bring around and cannot be the main laptop. I think for casual surfing, i prefer Smartphone..

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, exactly.

I feel that netbook is quite useless other than web surfing and checking email. It's big enough that you need to carry a separate bag.

I saw Acer Aspire 2930, comes with 12.1" screen, 6 cell battery, C2D, 3GB RAM, it's thick and heavy (2kg), but it's far more usable, 1280x800 screen. I think it's a perfect notebook for travelling and is able to perform far more tasks. And it costs only about RM2400. It will run Photoshop flawlessly.