iOS 5 Finally Broke Stanza - The Best e-Book Reader Ever!

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Adrian Wong, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I upgraded my iPhone 3GS to iOS 5, and I have to say, it's a pretty amazing upgrade.

Notifications now no longer intrude like an irritating cousin, and the new Notification Center is really cool!

The dictionary has also been greatly improved, which makes typing messages A LOT easier. And I really love iMessage, which allows FREE messaging between iOS 5 devices INCLUDING iPod touches and iPads!

The only downside? iOS 5 finally broke Stanza, which I think is the best e-book reader for the iOS platform! :cry: :cry: :cry:

After upgrading to iOS 5, I tried to continue reading my book on Stanza, only to get this error message :

From what I read, Amazon bought Lexcycle, the developer of Stanza, and stopped development of Stanza since 21 February 2011 (for the iOS version). Stanza is apparently using depreciated code that has been removed in iOS 5, causing it to fail.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Now what do I do??? :wall: :wall:

Well, it looks like Amazon has absolutely no intention on further developing Stanza, so I guess I have no choice but to explore other alternative e-book readers. :(

2. adeole

adeole Newbie

Me toooo

Feel so regret that need to say good bye to Stanza.There so many Chinese e-books in it too.:wall:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I tried the following e-book readers :

- Kobo
    - Bluefire
    - BeyondPrint
    - eBookS

It looks like the last 2 are based on the Bluefire reader. In fact, other than some minor cosmetic changes, the last 3 readers are virtually the same.

I don't like the fact that the Bluefire reader wastes a LOT of space at the side. So I guess Kobo's the best FREE replacement for Stanza....