Samsung or HTC or?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Dashken, May 3, 2012.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Since Samsung is going to reveal the S3 in about 6-7 hours, would like to know which one would you choose, HTC or Samsung for Android mobile phones?

2 things I don't like about HTC One X are the non-removable battery and the lack of microSD card slot. So, I'm going to see what Galaxy "S3" has... :)

The other thing that I'm thinking is the software upgrade. For example... the ICS upgrade, I feel that Samsung is always delaying the upgrade and only upgrades a number of phones whereas the last I read, HTC is going to upgrade more than 15 of its old phones... including Incredible S to ICS. :faint:

Any thoughts? :D

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

After looking at the specs of S3, I think I made the right decision for choosing One X. Non-removable battery was a big concern to me. But until today, I have not replaced or purchased any extra battery for my HD2. So without that, I think I can still live with it.

As for Micro SD card slot, it is a problem for me. But there are still workarounds, more steps required to transfer file.

Personally I still prefer Tegra 3, not for its pure performance, but for Tegra 3 optimised games. At least I get something extra over the Samsung.

Pentile is my biggest reason for not considering Samsung. The checkered board effect is unbearable to me. And the colour calibration is extremely bad, over saturated. The screen on the One X is simply unbelievable. You really got to see it for yourself.

Today I'm going to call the dealer to ask for my One X!!!

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

And the S3 has a physical Home screen button... :(

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I've seen the One X and it's pretty impressive. And as Chai, I'd rate the One X higher than the copycat Samsung. Also, I think you get a free Beats Audio headphones that retails for about RM500(?) bundled too. That's not bad at all!

5. Chai

Yeah, Samsung, look at the whole range from low end to high end. Same thing, different size lol.

But the new One X doesn't include the Beats headphones. And that reduces the costs. So I'm fine with that... :haha:

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Oh it doesn't? I thought it did. :) Yea. Heard the earphones is just a lot of bass. sucks on the higher ranges.

7. Chai

Beats audio are rubbish for audiophiles. :lol: Give me a proper DAC anyday over these gimmicks.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I always thought Beats audio was more marketing than actual performance.

9. Chai

Tons of people actually believed in Beats Audio thanks to the marketing and the "improvement" in bass, some even claimed that it is better than Senns...haha. Remember Sony had MegaBass? LOL those were the days...

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Hi Chai, I'm considering the one X. Can sense be turned off?

11. Chai

Haha...nope, not without a custom ROM flash. I read that there's beta CM7 ROM available, so a full version should be out pretty soon. Or you can consider a Galaxy Nexus port. But I haven't got the phone yet. So I can't comment too much.

Rooting the phone is not an issue now. But there's no way to S-Off. I'm still waiting for my first Android phone to learn about all the S-Off and custom ROM flash first...

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

After reading all the comments... I'm not so sure now.

You’ve Spoken, We?re Listening ? Improving Battery Life

I asked my cousin's husband about his One X last night, and he said I'd be better off sticking to S3... besides a beautiful screen and camera, there's nothing much. I'll ask him about the battery life tonight. :D

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

ok then. galaxy nexus it is. hahaha..

14. Chai

If Galaxy Nexus vs One X, definitely One X for me since it also doesn't have Micro SD slot. But between S3 and One X, I'm not too sure. Screen wise, definitely One X will be better, as it is something I use everyday. In terms of battery life, in AT test, even for the Tegra 3 model, the battery capacity per usage is very very good, matching the iPhones. I will wait for direct comparisons first. Bigger battery capacity doesn't guarantee longer battery life, there's too many factors. S3 also have other software gimmicks that I would probably never use. I don't think I will regret getting One X.

In terms of UI theme, nothing that a custom ROM cannot fix. That's the whole purpose of Android!

I won't bother reading comments like this from the users. Users will never make good comments.

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... from the comments, everyone is commenting that the screen sucks juice... REALLY sucks juice... :D

Now waiting the reply from my cousin's husband. :)

Just wondering, what if the One X's battery kaput 2 years down the road? Can change? Expensive? Where? HTC center?

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  16. Chai

Edit: I just saw the video. Look at how bright is the One X and iPhone 4 at full brightness by looking at the shade of blue? iPhone is superior in battery life, but the screen is much smaller.

Yeah, screen suck juice, because the default brightness is too high, especially in a dark environment. Nothing a custom ROM can't fix.

Battery replacement? I've already saw youtube how to replace it. Not an issue for me. :mrgreen: I may also consider upgrading the battery before warranty expires! :haha:

As you can see from the AT article, One X is usually at the upper end of the chart among the high end phones. But do take note that all the screens are adjusted to 200 nits. In other words, a general user will most probably not know why the battery drain is so high. The first thing I will do once i get this phone is to flash custom ROM!

AnandTech - The HTC One X for AT&T Review

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'm new to this... do I need to root the phone to flash custom ROM? :D

Btw, I got the reply from my cousin's husband... "no good. he said life very short. that's d major drawback of this phone" :mrgreen:

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

just got back from the phone shop. tested the one X. nice phone, strongly resembles lumia but the size is a tad too large for my hand. my finger can't reach the screen lock button, just like any other > 4inch phones.

this is why i like samsung / nexus phones. the screenlock button is at the side of the phone. you don't have to stretch your hand like mad.

then you have the sense UI. so much talk about toning down the customization, still the whole ICS feel is gone. from the nice tron inspired "holo" theme it ended up like an android 2.1 / 2.2 phone. been using ICS on my nexus S for six months, no way I could go back again. So i picked up a galaxy nexus instead. My the other line is expiring soon. in july. just nice for S3!

i understand the fact that there are custom ROMs to flash but to be honest I run everything stock these days. pc, phones, everything.. haha am becoming very boring liao :D :shifty:

19. Chai

I don't like Sense that much, but TouchWiz is far worse IMO...

Yeah, talking about the screen lock, it is a bad location, but there's workaround for that too. Finally you can make use of the volume button, but of course, it is for turning on the screen only. :lol:

To add to that finger hard to reach, you will still finally have to use 2 hands to operate a phone with a large screen, unless you are only using button half of the screen...

Dashken: Just curious, what was his previous phone?

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Me? My previous phone? LOL! It was SE K610 I think... the current one I'm using is a 4-year-old Symbian SE G900... you know, I'm loyal... :shifty:

So, I've not owned an Android or iOS phone all my life. Total newbie here. :wave: Most of them were what I heard from my friends... root this, jailbreak that... :mrgreen: