Are expensive gaming laptops still worth it in this day and age?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by atwl77, Jun 14, 2016.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Just wondering.

A budget machine with GTX 960m and 4GB VRAM can be had at relatively "budget" prices, but the moment you try to look higher up the chain, you have to pay through the nose for machines offering 970m and 980m. The 965m tries to balance precariously between the two extremes but often will not come with good specs (Alienware 15r3, for example, only offers 965m with 2GB).

Your thoughts?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure about the differences between the performance of all the models you have mentioned, but there's really no need for more than 2gb of vram, unless you are running at higher resolution like 4k which may make some differences, and that is if your card is fast enough to handle.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk

3. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Memory is cheap, but a higher end gpu is not. So manufacturers always use such tactics to attract customers with more memory, but usually there's negligible benefits or even none in most situations. In your link above, it even shows that 2gb is faster than 4gb. So speed is not only determined by memory size.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk

Helen Marr likes this.
  5. shearspots

shearspots Newbie

If you are going to buy the Origin Eon15-X, it is worth it

6. Helen Marr

Helen Marr Newbie

Eventually, you'll be the one to decide which one works best for you but if 2GB works, I guess will defeat the purpose of buying one with 4GB memory.